campground "irritations"

bflentje

Active Member
Aug 24, 2009
296
Humans are God's creatures too. Almost all of the Leave No Trace Principles are awesome and make sense. But there are some that cross way over the line. [:O]
 

Xolthrax

Franconia, Pa.
Humans are God's creatures too.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your reference. The Leave No Trace guidelines are designed to protect natural habitats from current or future damage. If you had something (plant, animal, insect) in your house that was having a negative impact upon you or your family and posed the possibility of irreparable damage, you would call it a pest. You would probably go to great lengths to remove it from your environment, quite probably killing it for being a pest. As "God's creatures", we have a responsibility not to inflict ourselves upon our environment in ways that we wouldn't tolerate ourselves.

But there are some that cross way over the line

In what way? I'll be the first to admit that I struggle with some of them, but that won't keep me from trying very hard to adhere to them.
 

bflentje

Active Member
Aug 24, 2009
296
Xolthrax said:
Forgive me, but I don't understand your reference. The Leave No Trace guidelines are designed to protect natural habitats from current or future damage. If you had something (plant, animal, insect) in your house that was having a negative impact upon you or your family and posed the possibility of irreparable damage, you would call it a pest. You would probably go to great lengths to remove it from your environment, quite probably killing it for being a pest. As "God's creatures", we have a responsibility not to inflict ourselves upon our environment in ways that we wouldn't tolerate ourselves.

In what way? I'll be the first to admit that I struggle with some of them, but that won't keep me from trying very hard to adhere to them.

I admit this isn't the thread for my comment so I won't carry on off topic. Sorry all.
 

Yak

Super Active Member
Apr 18, 2009
1,205
Sub1ime14 said:
Mr. Bill, I've heard it said that burning wood releases the same exact chemicals (type and amount) that are released across the course of time that the same wood would deteriorate/rot. So if that is indeed true, then there's really no harm to burning it.

Burning is not the problem, deforestation is. If we want to burn wood we have to replant it.
 

rainier

Living and Dieing In Three-Quarters Time
Jul 14, 2009
36
Colorado Springs
mknott57 said:
BTW, if you cut through my campsite, make sure you stop and say hello, tell me where you're from and if you do it a second time, bring me a beer.

I like this. I hate people that cut through campsites. I was always raised that you never cut through campsites. The rest of the OP I can handle.
 

Tryton

Member
Jan 8, 2003
17
We almost had an incident several years ago related to the cutting through problem. For the record, I would never consider cutting through anyone's campsite as I would never consider cutting through their yard behind their house. If you are ok with it, that's fine. I think it's very rude. We have several people we camp with. Among them are a guy I work with and his in-laws. He has a travel trailer and his in-laws have a 5th wheel. They always get sites next to each other and one pulls in backward so their doors face each other. This gives the kids a large area to run around in and makes it easy to keep any eye on them. The entire group winds up at their sites at night around the campfire and it makes it nice to have a big area like that.

One year, they were at sites that had the playground behind them. This girl across the road kept walking through the sites to get to the playground. She was asked repeatedly not to walk through and kept doing it. Finally, his mother in law had enough and snapped at the girl. She is the nicest, sweetest woman you've ever met but she had literally been asking her to stop all day. That made her cry which upset her dad who was TRASHED. He proceeded to go on a tirade along with the rest of the adults at their site. I was sitting in a chair kind of watching. Everyone in our group did keep a level head but this idiot kept getting louder and acting like he was going to start a fight. I’m a pretty big guy so I finally stood up out of my chair and politely informed him that we would contact the rangers and let them sort it out. I’m not a fighter really, but I was prepared for him to start. His buddy grabbed him and dragged him back to their site. It could have gotten ugly.
 

DXTAC

Member
Mar 15, 2008
44
Plainfield, IL
My dog keeps people from "cutting through" our sites!! LOL

I would say the drunk cacklers in the middle of the night. We've all heard them, you hear that faint sound of people talking around the campfire in the distance then from nowhere comes a loud drunken cackling laugh that wakes the dead!! ARGH!!!!
 

themanfromvan

Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds
Jul 31, 2004
2,108
Van, Pennsylvania
I'm finally going to admit to my BIGGEST campground irritation. That is my inability to start a decent campfire. I get so damn ticked off when I cut my own firewood or buy from a local source - use those sawdust/wax injected fire starters - add pieces of kiln dried 2X4's, which I gather up from work - and maybe some of that thick corrugated cardboard. Even still - I struggle to keep the flames from going out. Or it'll be burning fine and I'll take a five minute walk to the loo - come back and it'll be this little pile of smoldering ashes.

In the mean time, I look over a couple of sites and there are a guy and his kid gathering up wet, rotten wood from the forest floor. They drag it back, add 2 sheets of toilet paper and a handful of pine needles and - VIOLA - they have a raging fire in 5 minutes or less !!

Here's where I add every smiley expressing displeasure - [:(] [}:)] [:(!] [V] [:(O] [?:~{] [:!] [?] [::)] [;{}] [B)] :huh: :shocked: :tongue: [CF] [CF]
 

jbchoice1

Member
Mar 16, 2010
18
rainier said:
I like this. I hate people that cut through campsites. I was always raised that you never cut through campsites. The rest of the OP I can handle.

this gets on my last nerve... I don't cut through yours, stay out of mine! if you ask, that's a different story all together... we'll swap drinks and b/s around the fire... you're welcome... hahaha
 

Xolthrax

Franconia, Pa.
David, come east to one of the rallys and I'll have you building great fires in no time.

Here's one match and 90 seconds:

2133864860101305190S500x500Q85.jpg
 

Yellowkayak

Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you
Mar 13, 2007
2,198
Call me an extremist, because I'll gladly admit to it. I go camping to get away from rude, loud inconsiderate people, and I "THOUGHT" every camper did, but its seems "a lot" of campers never got what it really means to go camping. They bring their "HOME" with them, "ACT" like they are the only ones on the planet, force others around them to listen to their loud obnocious ways. I want peace and quiet when I go camping. I hate terspassers (people cutting thru my PAID spot, I hate loud music, or any musci for that fact when camping. I go camping to get away from all that. Its getting harder and harder to find a campground where everyone around you wants just peace and quiet, no music, no loud partying, no noicy screaming children who scream just for the sake of getting attention. If those kinds of people want to do that, I have NO PROBLEM, but keep it at home, not in the woods where people try and go to get away from the noice and inconsiderations of others, and its not because I'm getting older, its because I love the outdoors and the sounds of birds, and other nature things, That is why I go camping. The only time we can get what we like from going camping is when we camp at one of our membership camping at Thousand Trails. I'm not a stuck up prude for sure, but I ,m not going to pay for a camp site to listen to some drunk idiot playing his music loud, or his noicy unruly brats screaming thru my camp site either. If you want to act like that, save yourself some money and stay home...even the mosquitoes would appreciate it. I'm not against people having fun, so don't get me wrong, but not at the expense of others peace and quiet, which is the reason I go camping in the first place.

JJ
 

eagle424

Active Member
May 23, 2009
115
Sub1ime14 said:
Mr. Bill, I've heard it said that burning wood releases the same exact chemicals (type and amount) that are released across the course of time that the same wood would deteriorate/rot. So if that is indeed true, then there's really no harm to burning it.

I read the same thing, when I was doing research on burning wood in my home. I had just bought a brand new wood stove, so I wanted to learn as much about it as possible.
 

sirelfman

'Til the last marshmellow's gone.
Jul 15, 2009
19
North Carolina
mknott57 said:
BTW, if you cut through my campsite, make sure you stop and say hello, tell me where you're from and if you do it a second time, bring me a beer.

I think I will put this on a couple of signs to put up at opposite ends of my campground.
 

Pam51

Member
Jul 20, 2008
79
This is sort of an irritation for us. Our DNR has a rule that you cannot bring wood into campgrounds unless you purchase it within 50 miles of the campground. I guess I do understand that they are trying to stop the spread of the emerald ash borer, but we had a lot of wood we purchased for camping before the rule was in place. I hate to buy the local, high-priced and often not-very-dry wood when I have the good stuff at home in my yard.
 

Oski88

Active Member
Jul 9, 2009
228
Tigard, Oregon
themanfromvan said:
I'm finally going to admit to my BIGGEST campground irritation. That is my inability to start a decent campfire. I get so damn ticked off when I cut my own firewood or buy from a local source - use those sawdust/wax injected fire starters - add pieces of kiln dried 2X4's, which I gather up from work - and maybe some of that thick corrugated cardboard. Even still - I struggle to keep the flames from going out. Or it'll be burning fine and I'll take a five minute walk to the loo - come back and it'll be this little pile of smoldering ashes.

In the mean time, I look over a couple of sites and there are a guy and his kid gathering up wet, rotten wood from the forest floor. They drag it back, add 2 sheets of toilet paper and a handful of pine needles and - VIOLA - they have a raging fire in 5 minutes or less !!
The big secret is creating space between the wood so oxygen can work its magic. See the picture... do that then run some wood along the outside in vertical strips to create the teepee effect. It is virtually guaranteed to produce a roaring fire. Good luck.
 




Top