Campground near Mt Rushmore

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Lovestocamp, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Lovestocamp

Lovestocamp New Member

Looking for a nice campgound around Mt Rushmore. Read some good reviews on Trip Advisor for Beaver Lake Campground. Any others that you would recommend in the area?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Have a look at THIS. It has every public CG in the USA.

3. superbee73

superbee73 New Member

We have stayed at Rafter J Bar a couple times and really liked it. Clean and great service. Good location too.

4. Newt

Newt New Member

Our PuP's maiden voyage was to Mt. Rushmore. We stayed at the Hill City KOA...which was not ideal as I could have reached out of our PuP and touched the neighbors PuP. However, there was LOTS of other kids for our kids to play with and it was central to everything there.

I will second Rafter J. Have heard good things about it. Will probably go there next time.

5. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

If you were to ask our kids, the best camping trip we ever had was to Mt. Rushmore. We went late Aug (a week after Sturgis bike rally) and even though everything was open, it was like a ghost town.

We stayed at http://www.kempskamp.com/ becasue it was close to the monument and only a short drive to different attractions. Had no complaints. The 1880 Train goes by each day across the valley, the kids thought that was awesome, but so did I [:D]

We went to see 4 presidents and actually saw 5. Bush Sr was there for a speech so we had to do that.

6. dgsh3

dgsh3 New Member

Before I got my pup, my sister and I tent camped at Horse Thief Campground & RV resort in 2007.... www.horsethief.com in Hill City.
    It's a family owned campground, and the owners were very friendly. Great location, central to all the attractions in the Black Hills. While some of the sites were pretty open, I do remember others very nicely wooded and somewhat private. If I ever make it back I'd definitely stay there again. Hope you have a great trip wherever you decide to camp!
    Dave

moonpost likes this.
  7. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Rafter J Bar is a beautiful campground. Stayed there last September and saw all the sights. Make sure to spend sometime in Custer State Park and drive the Needles Highway for some spectacular scenery. I would go back in a heartbeat!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Also, if you want a delicious meal, go to the Alpine Inn in Hill City.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

9. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Custer State Park takes reservations up to 12 months in advance. So, it's already very late to be booking for this summer. Depending on the dates of your stay, you may find limited options. Check out campsitephotos.com for site-by-site photos of each of the CGs within the park. Also, the park's website has site-by-site photos. Reservations are made via SD's own site, not through reserveamerica.com/recreation.gov.

Good luck.

10. merc

merc Member

My boys and I enjoyed Sylvan Lake CG in Custer SP.

11. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

We just went to the Black Hills this past August - it was the longest camping trip we've taken with the PUP.

We stayed at Mystery Mountain Resort (www.blackhillsresort.com) in Rapid City. It's right next door to Bear Country. The facilities were first rate - clean showers, great friendly staff, reasonable prices for things like ice, knowledge of the area, etc. They also have a pool, mini golf,

Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse were each less than a 1/2 hour away. Plus, the resort was close enough to Rapid City and all it has to offer (i.e. Wal-Mart, Golden Corral, etc.). The location made it a great base of operations to see and do all that the Hills has to offer - in addition to Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, there's the Air Force museum at Ellsworth AFB - saw a couple of B1 bombers coming in and taking off, the Badlands - don't miss it, as well as Wind and Jewel caves!

All of the sites at Mystery Mountain had electric and water. We used our ceramic heater to take the chill off at night and didn't use up our propane.

The sites can be 'tight' as they're terraced and you're right above your neighbor. We were there the week after Sturgis, and there was plenty of activity in the area.

They also have cabins with and without private baths and kitchenettes. If (more like when) we go back, we'll be sure to stay there again. We may choose one of the pull thru sites closer to the lodge.

Oh, one more thing, they have a great all you can eat pancake breakfast every morning. Other items - eggs, sausage, hash browns, etc. - are also available. We loaded up on everything, including juice and coffee for around ($10) for the two of us.

Enjoy!

WL

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

We stayed at Custer State Park. We were not impressed. The shower facilties were less than well maintained. The fees were higher than what we've paid in other state parks, the roads getting in were narrow, winding, and on the edge of the mountain, with several one lane only tunnels that required us to back up when we met another person towing a bigger rig.

But the reviews are excellent on almost every camping site. YMMV

13. ricko

ricko Member

We did Palmer Gulch KOA - looks good on paper but is extremely crowded. I think you have other excellent suggestions in the thread...

14. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Stayed at Rafter J. Best private CG we've ever stayed at. I've found this review site to be very helpful over the years. Pretty accurate as long as there are most than just a few reviews.

15. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Which CG did you stay at in the park? I'm curious because we're going out there this summer (Stockade South). Though not all reviews are great, a vast majority of them are, so I'm disappointed that you had a less than stellar experience. Definitely sorry to hear it.

Custer SP does charge $25/night, but that's similar to the $22-$24 that we pay here in CO. We also pay $7-$9/day in entrance fees here. So, depending on where you're coming from this Custer may be high or average.

The killer for me at the private CGs is that they all want to charge a per person fee beyond 2 or 4 people. So, my family of 6 doesn't feel welcome in such places.

16. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

Sorry you had a bad experience at Custer State Park. It continues to be one of our favorite spots and we visit at least twice a year. The Game Lodge Campground has very clean bath houses. The main road thru the park is a nice two lane road. If you got off the main highways where the pigtail bridges, tunnels and mountain hugging roads are located, they were designed with slow travel in mind. In fact, when some of roads were built, one of the designers said the area should be enjoyed on foot or horseback. Sounds like you got on Iron Mountain Road or the Needles Highway--here is a description of the Iron Mountain Road:
    17 MILES
    314 CURVES
    14 SWITCHBACKS
    3 PIGTAILS
    3 TUNNELS
    2 SPLITS
    It is the only place you can observe Mt. Rushmore framed in a tunnel. As you said, YMMV. Happy travels!! [ALPU] [PUT]