Campground Rules? Or really just suggestions to be ignored?

Austin694

Feb 18, 2015
I try to follow most rules in campgrounds because they do usually make it pleasant for everyone. The one I usually break though is the "leash no longer than 6 foot rule". I have a small dog that likes to roam so I use a stake with a 15 foot leash so he can cruise around the site.

Also not collecting firewood. I don't go into the forest and collect but if there is down wood in the site that joker is going the fire. Also everyone needs a good fire poker sourced locally.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Minnesota in particular just had a lot of weird liquor laws in general. Throwback to the uber religious teetoler laws back in the day. Now most of these laws remain because the industry built around them would suffer from changes such as alcohol sold in gas stations or grocery stores etc. We only just allowed off sale liquor sold on Sundays. It's weird for me to go to a grocery store and have liquor and real beer (not 3.2) on the open shelves, not a separate liquor store.
As a 21 yo in Arizona on summer vacation, I asked my dad: "What is this bold new world?" After noticing that rum by the 1/5 was by the candy bars... and I could buy it.

Neil Henry

Jun 12, 2018
West Concord, MA
That has got to be one of the stupidest rules I've ever heard. Can people ride normal bikes? Is their concern that e bikes could potentially be too fast?
On the famous hiking/bike oaths near Acadia Nat Park, they explain that the gravel paths (actually Rockefeller funded the roads in early 1900's) are engineered for durability over decades and eBikes do have measurably more impact. Just pointing out that for some property owners, eBikes could have a real effect on their annual budget.

Mat Kyne

Jan 22, 2018
Central Texas
I strictly follow the firewood rules. It isn’t worth the damage that the spread insect infestations can cause. I will buy local firewood--usually from the campground—and will leave any extras with others in the campground rather than taking it elsewhere.
yes, I’ve heard the argument re sometimes the wood is brought in from elsewhere, but I‘m not going to take the risk.
I've gone back and forth on the firewood thing. If I am camping close to home (A State Natural Area is 20 minutes from home), I'll bring firewood that I cut down from my property. They are literally the same trees. Any further than that, it stops making sense to bring it along. It is a lot easier to pack $20 than 2 days worth of firewood. We have a propane fire pit too, and with all the burn restrictions, we use that more often than not. It's pretty nice to be able to put out your fire in an instant when it is time for bed.
As for the no alcohol rule, yeah, I break that one every time. It makes sleeping in the camper that much better. But I respect quiet hours, and diligently clean up after my family, so, again, it's a non issue.

CoolHandCub

Feb 26, 2022
I've yet to see a camper come out and say "you know what, my favorite part of camping is hearing dogs bark incessantly" lol.

On the other hand, this hasn't really been a problem for us in a couple decades of camping. Mostly people where we camp are pretty good about keeping their dogs quiet, although there's always the one-off that brings the dog that barks at everyone that walks by, and then when we walk by with our well-behaved and quiet dog and theirs goes ballistic, give us the evil eye as if WE caused the situation. But that's the exception.

What seems to happen every time we camp, however, is people up at the crack of 5:30 am, banging doors/pots/chopping wood, letting the kids run around screaming, etc. One time someone actually pulled out a bugle and played Reveille. Quiet hours usually go to 7 or 8, but these people don't care. They are morning people, and dammit everyone else should be too.

I have long since learned to sleep with a pod of earplugs tucked under the mattress. I don't like sleeping with them so I only put them in if necessary. But instant bliss if needed.
We just went camping and around 5:00 a.m. a dog started barking for almost an hour straight. So when I got out of bed (at sunrise, because I sure as heck wasn't getting anymore sleep) I see a pit bull just standing behind my tent dragging her leash. We called the park rangers because no one knew who she belonged to. Turns out that the owners got cold in the middle of the night and went to sleep in their Jeep and left the dog outside. They didn't even hear their dog barking for an hour straight. People like that should be banned from owning dogs. Luckily they packed up and left that morning.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
That has got to be one of the stupidest rules I've ever heard. Can people ride normal bikes? Is their concern that e bikes could potentially be too fast?
electric bikes are going to be a big problem as they get cheaper. As they get cheaper you see more and more shady looking people flying around on their electric bikes. Going much quicker than a typical 50 year old drunk guy can pedal.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
There are more and more e-bikes that you wouldn't even know were an e-bike unless you were a "bike person". This is indeed going to be a hard (and dumb) rule to enforce.

If bikes are allowed, e-bikes should be allowed. They are not built to go fast, and slower speed limits could still be enforced.

Reactions: NLB

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
So, what does the forum think?
Should people break camp, hitch up, and leave before quiet hours end? How about arriving and setting up during quiet hours?
No perfect scenario for sure; seen all kinds of situations over the many years I've hit campgrounds, I just deal w/ 'em, realizing crap will happen regardless of my feelings/wants/needs. Seen some dang doozies lol, but it's part of camping around others; only time I've ever said something was when a dude got crap faced & wandered around to other sites yelling & inviting people to a beer bash, giving 'em MY site number. His wife grabbed him before I did, no probs afterwards. I get up before daylight, start the truck, & head to the water, something I'll continue to do, never had anyone complain...

Drufus

Mar 19, 2020
electric bikes are going to be a big problem as they get cheaper. As they get cheaper you see more and more shady looking people flying around on their electric bikes. Going much quicker than a typical 50 year old drunk guy can pedal.
Yes indeed , the filthy poor people are quite “shady”. They should never be allowed such things as electric bicycles.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
There are more and more e-bikes that you wouldn't even know were an e-bike unless you were a "bike person". This is indeed going to be a hard (and dumb) rule to enforce.

If bikes are allowed, e-bikes should be allowed. They are not built to go fast, and slower speed limits could still be enforced.
And if eBikes are allowed so should minibikes. The only real difference is gas versus electric power. Ah, the slippery slope that campground owners don't want to step out on.

My truck got hit by a lady trying a borrowed eBike for the first time. Fortunately she wasn't hurt.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
And if eBikes are allowed so should minibikes. The only real difference is gas versus electric power. Ah, the slippery slope that campground owners don't want to step out on.

My truck got hit by a lady trying a borrowed eBike for the first time. Fortunately she wasn't hurt.
How was your truck?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Seems like a lot of complaining here. Most of it is what you like is ok, and what you dont isn't. All good. I have my list also, but it is funny that whats acceptable to one is not to others. Keep in mind , some things are unavoidable, and one offs. Like a flat, or accident on the way to a campground, that forces you to set up at midnight. Other things , are just how people are, things like, if I want to drink responsibility, i am going to do so. If stuff like lights left on, loud music , etc, is bothersome, talk to the people and educate them how it effects you. Do it nicely, and for the most part you will have a better time. Most will be accomadating, or dont even know what they are doing is wrong. There will be some that aren't as nice. But somehow, karma always wins out in the end.

tfischer

I try to follow most rules in campgrounds because they do usually make it pleasant for everyone. The one I usually break though is the "leash no longer than 6 foot rule". I have a small dog that likes to roam so I use a stake with a 15 foot leash so he can cruise around the site.

I've never understood this to be a rule for on the site, but when walking around. I think so long as you keep your pet contained on the site, it's fine.

tfischer

You need to educate yourself on what an eBike is. They are nothing even close to the same as a minibike.

For the record I don't own one, and am not even all that big of a fan of them. But all they do is give you a small amount of power boost while you pedal.

EDIT: I just realize your post mentioned a "throttle" which confused me so I did some googling. The "e-Bikes" I'm talking about, and what most people mean when they use the term, look like bicycles, and don't have a throttle. You pedal, and it adds some boost. Sort of like how power steering helps you turn the wheel.

There is evidently something called an "electric bike" as well that looks like a dirt bike (aka a motorcycle-like thing). That is not at all what I'm talking about, and agree those should not be in campgrounds.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
You need to educate yourself on what an eBike is. They are nothing even close to the same as a minibike.

For the record I don't own one, and am not even all that big of a fan of them. But all they do is give you a small amount of power boost while you pedal.

EDIT: I just realize your post mentioned a "throttle" which confused me so I did some googling. The "e-Bikes" I'm talking about, and what most people mean when they use the term, look like bicycles, and don't have a throttle. You pedal, and it adds some boost. Sort of like how power steering helps you turn the wheel.

There is evidently something called an "electric bike" as well that looks like a dirt bike (aka a motorcycle-like thing). That is not at all what I'm talking about, and agree those should not be in campgrounds.
I have multiple friends and people I work with who have e-bikes. They have expensive bikes that can do 30 mph with no pedaling.
They also make two wheel drive e-bikes for trails. Most people can not pedal that fast.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
They can go slower though, I have e scooters that go fast, but usally set them to the mph of the campground. Some will not let you use them but others do. I have gotten yelled at. We do take them as they take up less space and are a good way to explore. Charge during the day and unplug them before bed.

We ignore the beverage rules but that's it.

As for hammocks, using the thin straps you get with your average consumer hammock will girdle the healthiest of trees, and also for the sake if the trees we obey the firewood rules as the Emerald Ash Borer has jumped the Mississippi River now a d we don't want to help it spread