Campgrounds around Palm Beach - Ft Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BelchFire, Nov 14, 2018.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

A buddy and I are considering a trip down to the keys from South Georgia. We would want a quick overnight (in and out) right off of 95, somewhere around Palm Beach to Fort Liquor-dale. Right now, I'm looking at John D McArthur, Hugh Taylor Birch or Oleta River campgrounds. Are these booked a long way out? Are there other options I should be considering? This would be a quick trip on the way to the keys, so we're not looking for a lot of amenities; just a place to park, pitch a tent, get some rest, shower and go again the next morning.

2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

This time of year, I would definitely call and check because the SnowBirds are back and still coming.

crackerJack likes this.
  3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Oh, I would definitely have reservations before I left, I was just asking if reservations are hard to get at these places. I know you guys are always talking about "such and such" campground being 8-12 months out on reservations. I'm just asking if these are like that. If push comes to shove, we could drive through and nap on a park bench at a rest stop, but we're trying to plan more carefully than that.

4. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

John Prince park in palm beach is probably a good option.

5. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Jonathan Dickinson State Park is 20mi north of West Palm Beach, cool place.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We are booked for 2 nights at Jonathan Dickerson sp Dec 3rd and 4th. I think it is about 30 miles north of West Palm Beach. Never been there before but near where we need to be and it look good. From there we will head to Jekyll Island, GA, which I think is about 5 hours.

7. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

JD state park is pretty decent. Campground has a "new" feel and look to it since it was upgraded a few years back after a hurricane. But because of that there is little shade. Kayaking/Canoeing the Loxahatchee river is the main action of that park. If you have the time, do a trip from the local concession. It's a nice way to spend a day. Other than that there are some nice biking opportunities as well as a cool observation tower set in ancient coastal dunes.

8. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

We prefer to stay at Jonathan Dickerson SP whenever we head down that way. This park as gone through several upgrades and you can read my reviews here by doing a search for the park. This place has a lot to do and heading south into West Palm there's even more to do and tons of great local restaurants along the way in Jupiter and Stuart plus you could pop over to Sanibel Island. If you're a scuba diver West Palm is a great place to drift dive. Back to JD SP, there are two loops and both off spacious spots to park and spread out. There is a small General Store and you can kayak, canoe, fish, hike, cycle or head out to the tower.

As far as McArthur SP you may want to check but I think that's all tent camping since you need to cross the waterway over a bridge to get to the beach and CG, but I may be wrong, like I said you may want to check.