Campgrounds close to Chicago Il.

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by hvac1877, Sep 23, 2017.

1. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

I am starting to make plans for a long trip back to my home state of Illinois. I grew up in southern Illinois so I know that area but like to find a campground close by where I can go to a Cubs game during the summertime. So I am asking for your guys advice. Thanks!!!!

2. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

OK outside of Chicago but you could easily drive or catch a train to downtown. Marengo has a little county forest preserve just north of town on route 23 with a campground.
    Pretty reasonably priced.
    http://www.mccdistrict.org/rccms/wp.../08/Camping-Picnic-brochure_2017-June_Web.pdf

If its a Cubs game to see then I'd avoid driving at any cost. Take the metra from Woodstock or Crystal lake and get off at the irving park stop and catch a bus from there.

There are a couple of kane county areas for camping but the nearest train line would be big timber in elgin and then you'd have to go all the way downtown and catch one of the CTA rail lines.

Also not far from there is a KOA in Union Illinois. Maybe closer but still a bit out is Chain O Lakes state park or Illinois Beach right on the lake north of Chicago.

If its a cubs game and not so much wrigley why not watch them play milwaukee in milwaukee. easier to get in and out of and probably less expensive.

3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Agree with @tdiller on all points! Driving to a Cubs game is about the most frustrating drive I could imagine and there is no parking at the field. If you do, probably would be a little easier choosing a campground on the north side. But if you are coming up just for the game and want to stay on the south side, the Kankakee River State Park is refurbishing their campground this year so it should be nice and new for next season!

It might be easier to see them play in St. Louis - closer to home in Southern IL for ya. Those tickets sell out, so plan early!

4. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

I used to go to old Busch to watch Sandberg back in the 80's!!! I grew up around Marion Il. I rather go to Wrigley. Thanks for the info. My wife hats sports but I think I can talk her into at least one game. We will spend a few days in Chi town. I was born there but raised in So Ill. Thanks for the info on Kankakee River State Park. Yea I would not drive but take metra or what ever into town

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Starved Rock and Shabbona are nice places as well and are not any farther than Kankakee.

6. prop630

prop630 Member

Both the Kane county campgrounds, Big Rock & Paul Wolff, are fairly new and very nice. You can make a short drive to Aurora or Elgin to catch a train into Chicago. Another option, when they offer them, is to drive to Yorktown shopping center in Lombard and catch a shuttle bus from Harry Carey's restaurant, they have them off and on through out the year and are cheap. Sure beats driving downtown and parking near Wrigley.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I like Indiana Dunes. There's a South Shore Line stops right in the state park. You can take the South Shore to Millennium park, then grab the red line to Wrigley.

There are two campgrounds: the state park and the national park. If you want electricity, you'll have to stay in the state park, but you need to plan ahead if you're going on a weekend. The national park is FCFS, and there's usually a spot there if you arrive relatively early on a Friday IIRC.

2mommas likes this.
  8. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

You will need to decide if you are going to a day game or a night game. If it is a night game some of the train lines (metra not CTA) have severely limited schedules after like 10PM.
    Also note that if you do decide to take the train if it is during the week you will pay for trips both ways. On the weekend you can buy a metra weekend pass for around 8-9 dollars and ride all weekend.

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I have a client whose office is in Wrigleyville. If it's game day, getting in and out is a royal PIA. [:)C]