Campgrounds Leads by Aldo Leopold Nature Center, Outside Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by J Starsky, Sep 26, 2019.

1. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I'm looking for campground recommendations somewhere close to Madison, WI. (30-40 min OK)

Venue is Aldo Leopold Nature Center, Femrite Drive, Monona, WI

Turns out, I've got a wedding to catch next year in July! What a way to sneak in a camping trip!

Any places we should stay (or stay the heck away from) is highly appreciated! Thanks

2. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Devil's lake State Park. About 45 minutes.

J Starsky likes this.
  3. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I would also add Governor Dodge State Park which may be a shorter, easier drive out State 18-151, all four lanes. It is also much easier to get sites at Dodge at that time of year.

J Starsky likes this.
  4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

We stayed at Devil's Lake and it was a very nice state park with typical amenities at the campground. The huge draw is the actual lakefront which is beautiful, but can get crowded on a summer weekend. FYI, if you are not a Wisconsin resident you have to pay for entrance to the park at check-in (aka a sticker for your vehicle) IN ADDITION to your campsite fees. Make your reservations WAY in advance. I would go back if I lived closer and could go during the week. Maybe sometime!

And avoid Quartzsite site 26, trust me it has a nasty slope. But other sites along that side were nice and shady. Our friends stayed on 24 and it was nice. The sites in the middle were open and mostly sunny.

J Starsky likes this.
  5. J E A

J E A New Member

As a resident of Dane County, I would like to suggest Dane County parks. They have campgrounds at many of their parks. Lake Farm Park is nice. Token Creek Park is just north of Madison right off the interstate. Nice hiking trails and disc golf. And great access to Madison. The State Parks are great but there are none within a half hour of Madison except maybe Blue Mounds which is quite small and nice. Let me know if you have any other questions.

J Starsky likes this.
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I was looking at the Blue Mounds area - looked liked easy in/out.

7. BigAl

BigAl Member

Lake Kegonsa State Park near Stoughton is nice and close - 20 minutes from Monona.

J Starsky likes this.