Campgrounds near Charleston, SC

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Campit, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We're looking to go to Charleston, SC. Can anyone give me the 411 on some nice campgrounds nearby?
    Thanks!

Campit

2. hemifanatic

hemifanatic New Member

We just made reservations for Aug. at Charleston County Campground. The website is www.ccprc.com. It looks nice and they have large photos of every site on line so you can pick one you like.

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

My favorite place in that area is Capers Island, make atleast one trip a year...But being boat in only I guess I'm of no help.

4. THE FLYING DUTCHMEN

THE FLYING DUTCHMEN New Member

Edisto Beach sp is about 45 min from Charleston, and very nice, but hard to get a reservation on short notice. [2C]

5. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Thanks for the replies. :) I'm looking at Oak Plantation Campground. This campground seems to be the closest to Charleston. I'm wondering if anybody has stayed here or knows anything about this campground.

I looked at this one as well. It looks to be a very nice campground. And I looked at Lake Aire RV Park and Campground. It's only 15 min. from downtown Charleston. Decisions, decisions!

Campit

6. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Edisto Island State Park is about 47 miles from Charleston, but it's a good 75 minute drive, half of that on rural roads. The closest state park would probably be Gihvans Ferry. I haven't camped there, so I couldn't recommend it. Maybe someone who has will chime in.
    James Island County Park is very nice, but on the pricey side. I have camped there. It has a lot of amentities, and if you follow hemifanatic's link you can check it out.
    Buck Hall Campground in Francis Marion National Forest would be another option. Near McClellanville, it's a nice 35-40 minute drive into Charleston. Here's a link: http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/fmarinfo.htm
    I'm not familiar with any private campgrounds like those mentioned.
    Let us know what you decide.

Oh, my! You are the proud recipient of my 1,000th post! [:D]

7. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg "Failure is not an option"

We stayed at Oak Plantation in June. Nice but tight for my taste. Lots of motor homes so the bath houses were not busy and very clean. They have a pool but we didn't have a chance to go. They take their speed limit very seriously and have numerous speed bumps to keep things slow. The electric and water sites seemed to have more shade and were neatly empty. We stayed on row R near the back. There is some road noise but it wasn't too bad. Publix nearby. Overall I would stay again in order to explore Charleston but would not choose it too "just camp." It was fun to walk around in the evenings and look at the big rigs!

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Thanks Wysiwyg for the info. I thought Oak Plantation would be a good choice because of its close proximity to Charleston. Going to use it for a base only. Gonna get out and sightsee! :)

Campit

9. hemifanatic

hemifanatic New Member

We had a great time at James Island Campground. We were there from Aug. 25th to Sept.1st. The campground was very nice and all the facilities were clean! Nice walking and biking trails. Did lots of sight seeing in Charleston which was about 10-15mins away. Highly recommend this place! [:D]

10. banjorules

banjorules Member

We stayed in Santee State Park, about an hour outside of Charleston, last year. It was quite nice. It is on the shores of Lake Marion.

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We stayed once at James Island County Park. While it was very convenient to Charleston itself, the campground was huge with sites lined up one next to another like a parking lot. We much preferred Buck Hall Recreation Area, already mentioned, out near Awendaw. What a beautiful place in the Marion NF, and right adjacent to the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge. Be sure to see the Sewee Environmental Center there; you can see red wolves they are releasing back into the coastal plain.

12. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Travelhoveler is right on the mark, imo. I haven't stayed there but have driven through, and Buck Hall is very nice.
    I guess one needs to choose what best suits his needs: forest, state park, county park with parking lot, or RV parking lot.