campgrounds within 3-4 hrs of chicago

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Passnthru, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Passnthru

Passnthru New Member

Hey Folks. brand new to this, did a lot of tent camping when kids were younger. Now newly retired seeing how it goes towing a camper, see if its feasible to go great distances and enjoy the scenery. Bought the van last year and put 6000 miles on it over the winter. But still spent a lot on hotels, decided to give this a try. Gonna spend the summer doing short trips out of Chicago and getting acclimated, see if we are ready to go in the fall. Any advise very welcomed, including personal experience with campgrounds nearby.Thinking of visiting rally in Wisconsin next weekend is that pretty cool?

2. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Active Member

Check out Indiana Dunes in NW Indiana. Nice campground, lots of shade, paved pads, playground, near the beach.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome! I love camping at Indiana Dunes, both the state park and the national park.

4. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Welcome aboard!

We do a lot of camping at both Illinois Beach State Park and Chain-O-Lakes State Park, both are very well maintained and clean. Both can get crowded on Fri/Sat and especially on 3 day weekends so reservations are recommended.

Both are also pretty dead during the week so since your retired....

I live in Wi and work in Il so we camp during the week at IBSP and I drive to work from there.

IBSP also has a section in the north east corner that are older growth pine trees....reminds me of home (Oregon) so we try to get those when we can..

Good luck and happy camping!

5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Another vote for Indiana Dunes. Nice campground, killer trails and one terrific beach. Kankakee is great but they are closed this year. I did a couple nights at Illinois State Beach. Nice but the beach is nicer at the dunes.
    I'm headed to lake Kegonsa this weekend, my friends think it's great, space between sites and lots of shade.
    I'm building up to longer trips too. I'm hoping to make the Smokies next year.
    Have fun!

6. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

Shabbona state park is nice. The Galena, IL area is really nice as well... Thompson Causeway COE or Mississippi Palisades and Apple River Canyon have campgrounds near there(no electric in Apple River Canyon though). I also like the Oregon, IL area - Lowden state park is a good place to camp, because there are other parks you can visit nearby (White Pines and Castle Rock).

7. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Check out the Wisconsin State Parks in the Kettle Moraine area. The southern unit is closer to you. Both the northern,and southern unit campgrounds are nice.

8. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

I'll agree with this as well.. I've stayed in a couple of the northern Kettle Moraine campgrounds. Very nice places to stay.

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

10. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin! There are a few great spots within 3-4 hours of Chicago you will like. First, in Western Michigan we enjoyed Van Buren State Park. Here is a write up I did a few year back: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=48083.msg362644#msg362644
    In Wisconin we really like Harrington Beach State park. It is located north of Milwaukee and is on Lake Michigan. I did a write up on this one too: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=48401.msg365558#msg365558 Both of those are state parks.

Our favorite private campground is located in Milton, Wisconsin. It is Hidden Valley RV Resort which I have pictured. We will be camping there again next weekend.

There are a ton of great campgrounds near Chicago. The other suggestions are excellent too.

Attached Files:

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! Indiana Dunes SP and Potato Creek SP in Indiana.

12. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

There's an Illinois fall rally at Morraine Veiw, you should check it out!

13. Passnthru

Passnthru New Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. going to try a place called Indian Trails in Pardeeville Wi. kinda want to make sure other people around mid-week in case I have problems or questions. If everything goes well might head up to Wisconsin Rally from there.