Camping alone or in groups?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Jun 11, 2020.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Do you prefer camping alone or in groups?
    I prefer just me and the wife vs groups of us...while groups are fun...i like the flexability when its just us.
    We eat when we want....nap when we want...go to bed when we want etc etc.
    There is no schedule and we dont have the pressure of going along with the group on everything.
    Reserving one spot is also easier than trying to find and coordinate multiple spots together and check in dates for different people.
    Group camping is fun for a change of pace once in awhile.
    What say you?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Mostly it's just the two of us, but occasionally, some of the kids will come and join us. I think the biggest group we had was four spots together.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

With the exception of scout camping it's almost always just our household. Group camping must be gaining popularity because I've seen an increasing number of "group sites". Iv'e seen up to four sites arranged in a square with a common area in the middle.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I camp by myself a lot. Like you say way more freedom to do what you want and I do prefer this way. At the same time I also enjoy camping with a group like with the Dutch oven group or with the Rally's. They are usually for just a weekend anyway and you still have some freedom your not required to participate in everything. Once a season I will camp with my brother and my niece, but I usually pack a ton of Tylenol for the headaches they cause me. However since my brother is doing so much better with his life now and
    he has no transportation I suck it up. We may be polor opposites in everything, but he truly does love camping and so as long as he stays out of trouble I will continue our once a season trips.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I guess I like a 50/ 50 mix lol... I enjoy camping with friends- good company is nice to have once in a while... but I still enjoy just being with my four legged companion - where “we” can do whatever we want. When camping with friends, it is very easy to be lazy and sit too much... if this makes any sense.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Mostly just us, since we are goers and the camper is base for us. We'll camp with a group from church some, but there is no traveling together. We just meet them at the campground, and sites are not all together. There may be one or two planned meals, but not every one. People will come and leave on different days, also. Real loose planning.

southern gal likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

that's the way they should be I feel.
    I tried going with my church back when I was tenting. They had every single waking moment planned. I felt like I was a child not an adult. We didn't have the freedom. So to say I stopped attending the social aspect. It's not as fun when your stuck to a schedule when your on vacation.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

One of my favorite quotes from the movie CLERKS.....

9. firepit

The bad part about groups is getting everyone on the same page for group meals
    and it drives me nuts when we decide to swim or fish etc...And you get all ready and
    never fails...Someone last minute decides to go so everyone sits and waits for them to get ready.
    Its a vicious cycle...LOL.
    And in our family...If you go to bed early or take a nap you get all kinds of crap.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  10. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Sometimes it's DH & I and sometimes our friends (DH & DW) join us. If I'm honest I always push for them to join us and I'll even make their reservation for them, my friend is Thai & a FABULOUS cook, she makes us a feast, it's just the best!!!

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

A couple years ago we hooked up with a group we found on Meetup.com. The couple that "leads" the group schedules several outings each season. Everyone picks their own sites and comes and goes at their convenience. Generally the only organized get-together is a pot luck one night but we may gather other times. Last year, a new member invited everyone to their campsite for cocktails one night.

We probably attend two or three "meetups" a year. We've made some good friends through this group and even got together over the off-season to attend the annual RV show.

neighbormike and firepit like this.
  12. BigAl

BigAl Member

We'll go with just our family for some trips, and other trips we'll go with 1 or 2 other families. The group trips are nice because all the families have kids and the kids can entertain each other while the adults talk, read, cook, nap, etc. We don't do group itineraries; we usually discuss some things to do ahead of time but don't schedule anything. Family-only trips are nice because if we make a plan to do something, there's only 4 of us to coordinate schedules (and 2 are kids so they don't get an opinion anyways [:D])

Jack Sprat and firepit like this.
  13. firepit

Family outings are a hoot but for me a couple times a year is enough.
    Someone always gets pissy after 5-7 days of 30- 40 people.
    Meetups would scare me...Their are too many odd ducks out there.

14. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

We usually like to go with another family or 2. That way the kids can hang out together. We don't do meals together, but we will go on hikes/bike rides with others in the group. We generally boondock, so no reservations necessary.

CajunMan likes this.
  15. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

we usually camp by ourselves, but we do like to camp with others from time to time. That is why we do a couple of rallies each year. All the rallies i have attended have been free hours most of the day with some potlucks and fireside chats. And I love to see what others have done to their campers.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Hi, how are ya!

southern gal, Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  17. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

VERY few people we know that we'd camp w/; went once w/ another couple, they pretty much liked to stay at the sites & sit around & bs, I spent the weekend fishing/yakking etc...we've met a few while camping that were a blast to be w/, most recently Tom & Teresa that are now on this site, & years ago we'd meet a family from NC at the state park here in June & hang, but for the most part solo are we...have met a lot of people that camp year to year bout the same time over the years & sometimes stop by & bs for a bit...maybe someday we'll run into a sardine/Tabasco/PBR family such as myself [8D]

DiamondGirl, kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  18. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

We've camped with friends sometimes in a party. That can be really nice occasionally, but not something we do most of the time. Sometimes it gets hectic keeping everyone organized, agreeing what everybody wants to do together. Although it's nice to do activities together sometimes, most times its just nice to be by ourselves.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  19. firepit

Not bad....I got paroled and am loving freedom...LOL

20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't do organized group trips. I find they can be cliquey, they tend to include dorky events, and they rarely include just exploring the outdoors.

I plan my camping as solo trips, but I let friends know when and where I'm going. They join me if they want. Everybody is responsible for their own reservations - I tell them what site I have and what available sites nearby are good sites.

Everybody brings their own meals, but I always offer to share mine as I always have extra.

We do want we want when we want. No waiting around for each other - if you aren't ready to go swimming, then meet me there when you are. If I 'm not wanting to go hiking, then you can go on your own. We meet up in camp and hang, do our own thing, or go do stuff together.

I have no problem if someone I know from a forum or such wants to meet up. The above holds - all very casual. If we don't hit if off, there is no pressure to continue hanging out - we can go off on our own. If we hit it off, then great.