Camping alone or in groups?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Everyone is invited to camp with us! We have even invited neighbor mike over and over again. [B)][:(!][B)][:(!][|)]:cool::(

southern gal, Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

He’s a jerk!

Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  3. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Now...i have gotten some free beers and good food by walking around the campground during half time of the husker game as well as giving some away myself....but then again husker fans are friends and not strangers

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

None of my friends have a camper save one, and he recently moved it to his mother’s land on a semi permanent basis. While I enjoy the camaradarie at our scout campouts we are genrerally too beat at the end of the day to hang out much. Since I am generally grubmaster for the adults I spend way more time in the kitchen.

Personally I prefer camping alone. I don’t like to fish, or swim, or boat, or hangout by the campfire. I don’t drink or smoke, and I have no desire to talk about politics, religon or recent events. I camp to get away, be alone and recharge, or to visit other places. I’ll be friendly and more than willing to engage you in conversation, but I will never seek it out or initiate it.

I keep meaning to attend a rally in TX, but scheduling always gets in the way. When I do go, it will probably be just me, although my son may tag along. No DW, the pup is not her cup of tea, and meeting interent strangers is not at the top of her list either.

5. firepit

Im with ya except i prefer hunting alone...thats my time

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It really makes no difference to me, We usually visit around the C.G. and talk to the other campers (also get some decent ideas too :) Usually it is just Pebbles and I, but I do have friends and kin that go once in a while. We have a farm so either Mary or I has to stay and look after the animals, So Mary usually stays home while I go camping, she has her things that she loves to do so I stay home while she visits her Daughters or other friends.

Arlyn Aronson and neighbormike like this.
  7. squirrelbox

squirrelbox Member

Well when we were young we camped with friends and their kids, We have four kids and our friends had four or more also. We were all on the same page because we were all in the same boat. As we got older and our life styles changed we found it difficult to be on the same page. We eventually morphed into family unit camping. It has been some of the best times ever. We have wonderful memories of our family camping together . We did it every year and it was groovy. But now I have developed an allergic reaction to people while camping. The thought of camping in a established campgrounds makes me tired. We have enjoyed over the last 10 years or so camping in remote places. My kids have been brain washed by me and enjoy the same style. This does not mean I do not camp in established campgrounds. I do. But I try to do it at uncrowded times. We live 25 minutes from a really nice state park and I have set up the camper many times during crowded times. Camping styles change for the seasons of life. No right or wrong. You do what you enjoy. 20 years ago I was an electric amenities camper. Now I enjoy remote no people. I will admit however that my wife no longer shares my enthusiasm. Mid sixties now . Life changes. Enjoy yourself.Kids still ask me to go camping.

8. firepit

I got the camper loaded up today and ready to head out thurs night...the wifey is joining friday...only 15 miles from home...i am looking forward to a relaxing weekend of just us...i got no naps on family camping trip and that is unacceptable..lol

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ill say it depends on what you want. I go mostly woth my 8yo. She wants to meet people, so we socialize. So we like the rallies, and such. Most people here i would never hesitate to camp with. Even if we go solo, i try to pick places that will have kids. I will say crowded and group camping, dosent have to mean annoying.

DiamondGirl and kcsa75 like this.
  10. Old School Rob

Old School Rob New Member

The way the DW and I look at it is, camping is camping. Weather I go by myself, for a fishing weekend, or the two of us do a wine tasting trip, or if we get together with the family or friends, it doesn’t matter. We are still camping.

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think there are some differences in what makes it "group camping".

I normally camp on my own or with one friend joining me in their own rig. So group camping means four or more people with at least two campsites. Someone else may see it as three or more campsites or eight or more people, etc.

Also, there is the planned event type camping such as rallies, formal reumions, etc. vs the casual "let's meet up sometime" type of camping.

As a kid, camping always involved another family along. My Mom hated to camp and with three young girls, my Dad preferred someone around who could sit and fish without knocking over the bait bucket (I only did it once!). So we went with my aunt's family or my dad's friend's family. To me now, that would be group camping. Back then, that was just camping. Group camping back then was 4-H camp...

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

We camp by ourselves, with friends and or with family. We are empty nesters.

We met another family from Boy Scouts, 11 years ago. They are camping aficionados like us. Our BSA troop went camping almost each month so we’re used to going frequently. After our boys made their Eagle rank, we continue to go camping together. We’re like family. And most of our camping trips are together. We also go on vacation together too.

On solo camping trips, DH and I love to go and enjoy the weekend. It’s an opportunity to get away, enjoy each other’s company and do something fun. Horseback rides, lake cruises, fishing and etc.

I organize a family camp out twice a year but family keeps canceling after reservations are made. This will be my last year organizing those.

I will start organizing family camping trips again sometime in the future when DS has his own family. He’s out of college and is currently enjoying being a bachelor. So it will be awhile. Then our OWN family camping trips can start back up again. I can’t wait to take my future grandkids.

Until then, I will continue to camp with my friends or alone with DH.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Toedtoes, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It depends on the trip. Mostly, it is just the two of us; I do an occasional solo. I attend Sisters on the Fly events, so that's with a group. I have a friend who would like to go on more trips with me, but her life doesn't allow it much. She is also a SOTF, we just got back from a 3 night trip for an event. We now meet the friends we've spend the last 20+ Thanksgivings with at state parks in AZ for that holiday- gives us an excuse for exploring more of them. Once in a while, we'll meet up with them, if our separate trips will cross paths for a couple of days. We used to do a PUP Rally in Colorado, which was fun.
    Being on my/our own is a little freer but friend time is fun too.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Member

I don't mind small group camping or a rally once in a while. As long as I set my own itinerary. I cant deal with a self appointed social directors. Pot luck dinners are fine. My youngest child is 44. She can take her own kids to the theme parks. I will not do a meet up at Walmart parking lot and then convoy to CG. I'll meet up at the CG. Love meeting new friends while camping. Over the years we have learned a lot from other campers.

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. firepit

Agree...I would never meet anyone for anything in a Walmart parking lot.
    Nothing good ever happens in a Walmart Parking lot or Walmart in general.

16. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

All things in moderation. I even believe moderation should be in moderation.

I've done a couple meet up and head to the CG for weekends. I'm not certain that the name of the business we meet up in makes a difference, but if you want to make it high class, sure meet outside Neiman Marcus. I just think any large parking lot works. The only thing I dislike about meeting at a Walmart/Target/Grocery Store is someone always seems to run in for something.

Summer extended trips are different. My issue is after a couple days I always feel like I'm tagging along on someone else's vacation and not mine. I generally have a lot to read for work so I enjoy my summers to read for pleasure. That is generally a solo activity. Same for my wife. So our vacations are rarely "group friendly".

kcsa75 and Rik Peery like this.
  17. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We love camping in groups and there friendly mutts but most of our camping is to work on trails and seems many people don't like to do volunteer work like this. Why not?? Working in the woods is tons of fun and the mutts come along. The top photos is the friendly campers also staying there.
    P1080428.jpg P1080435.jpg

Rik Peery likes this.
  18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Wrong answer dude! My Nebraska hat came from Wally Wild, sent by the son's FORMER girlfriend last fall; she sent him a dear John text back in February, she couldn't handle him being deployed all the time...I did keep the hat though [8D][CB]...no way would I meet up & "caravan" either, my azz goes from point A to point B & hope the others make it, past experience has taught me well lol

neighbormike, kcsa75 and Jack Sprat like this.
  19. firepit

At least she went to Walmart and not you.

southern gal and Rik Peery like this.
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I ocassionally do the "caravan" drive to the campground. Usually it is done because the roads will be rough or one of us is a bit unsure about our ride - having that second person and vehicle helps a lot if something happens along the way.

However, I do understand the desire to skip that part. I was brought up understanding certain "rules" regarding caravaning with other vehicles. The first vehicle is responsible for maintaining a decent speed, not running yellow lights, and pulling over if the other vehicle(s) get stuck behind traffic or construction. The following vehicle(s) are responsible for paying attention to the lead vehicle and keeping them in sight. It's very annoying when they don't do their job. In addition, when you provide walkie talkies for contact purposes, everyone is to keep the d@m things turned on!!!!!