Camping alone or with others?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by va camper, Jul 14, 2011.

1. va camper

va camper New Member

Being new to camping right now I am wondering if most of you camp with just the members in your household family or do you like to camp with other families/couples/relatives etc.?
    Our first trip was scheduled with our one of our sons and his family but it is not working out for us to all go together and I am so disappointed.

Is it the more the merrier or like just the family?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I go alone most of the time and with DW a couple of times a year (she is still working). I/We have never camped with anyone else and would not want to do so.

3. dfab

dfab New Member

We do both , there are times we want to be allone

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

By ourselves. Don't have to worry about others getting lost, hurt, etc. Come and go as we want. Easier to find one nice site and not 3 or 4. We camp for the piece and quiet.

5. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

We do both, its been nice having some good friends along once in awhile, in their own pup.

Ad

6. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

x2 [:D]

7. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

By ourselves. We enjoy our peace and quiet. Don't even like being in campgrounds with other people if we can help it.

8. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

both, sometimes quiet time and others=the more the merrier [8D]

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I like to camp with extended family - my parents, grown kids, and grandkids.

I would never camp with non-family members, having learned that lesson the hard way about 15 years ago. We decided to camp with some neighbors and her sister's family. OMG! These people parked on the grass right next to the sign that said not to. They left the back door of their van open so they could blast the stereo across the entire park all day long and into the evening.

One of their air mattresses had a leak. They solved this problem by leaving their car running the entire night so they could have the air pump plugged into the cigarette lighter. The air pump ran the entire night along with the car. For anyone who has ever heard one of these things, you can imagine what a nightmare this was for the rest of the campers.

On top of everthing else, their kids threw trash on the ground and fought non-stop. I packed up and left at first light.

10. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Well, Sweetie & me do so probably most of the time. She's not much of a fisherman (really likes eating them, though!), but has her reading, knitting, resting and such to enjoy. Then, there's the gathering of the old cronies. We're a group from six states and we enjoy getting together at some stream or lake side camp ground and telling fish stories. We Then come with our own means of camping so I usually travel to and from alone. Then, when the moon gets full, and Mars lines up with Jupiter, I'm subject to head on over to a favorite spot and spend maybe a long weekend alone.

11. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

We do both. its nice to camp with friends and family then nice just the two of us. if you find the right people to camp with that makes a big difference!!! plus i enjoy cooking in my DO and always have food for people to enjoy.

12. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

I agree with HVAC - we usually camp just with our family, but we love to camp with friends and family, too.

Unfortunately, we only know one family that loves to camp, hike, & do the Ranger programs & has kids close in age to our 3, but we always enjoy meeting nice families.

It can be a bit tough to coordinate everyone together, but when we camp with other people, there's usually an activity associated with the trip - either an event close by or Park activities.

We're still looking for people who live relatively close to us that we can camp with. We've enjoyed the rallies we've gone to, especially when there are other kids.

We'd even consider camping on a holiday weekend with a group, which we'd never do on our own.

13. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We do both. It is nice to be with friends. Most of the cooking is done over the fire when we camp with a froup. It is also nice to be alone. We've noticed that we cook differently when alone, however. Nice to have others to play games with, or be alone just to read.

14. cesperon

cesperon New Member

I wouldn't want to rely on someone else... And would prefer to have them have their own camper/tent. It is always fun to have people you know/trust around, but not have to be handcuffed together all the time.

We've done a lot of group vacations where we would all go to the same destination at the same time, we usually meet up for breakfast but never wait on the sleepyheads or get up too early to accomodate the early birds- discuss the daily plans and everyone either does their own thing or maybe joins up. Then maybe we meet up for dinner or something later.

For us it is the best of both worlds, but it has to be the right kind of people. If they are too clingy or get their panties in a bunch if the group doesn't all want to to their thing- it doesn't work.

15. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

We've never shared a tent or pup with anyone but our kids. With DH being 6' 9" tall, there's often not a lot of room left over, other than for our young kids. [:D]

We have talked about camping with good friends in the future (distant future, can't imagine how fast the time will fly by, though) and have the kids in tents and the adults in the pup. I'm not sure we'll ever be there or do that, though, although I'm sure the kids would be FINE, just fine.

16. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We don't share our camper with friends. We all have our own units. And we sometimes do things alone and come back to the group later. But it is fun to have others around to do things with. If you don't want to be around them, you can go somewhere or in your camper to be alone.

17. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

Sometimes we camp alone and sometimes with friends who all have their own units. The only ones sleeping in our camper is us. If we camp with friends, we some of our meals into turn into potlucks...breakfast or dinner and sometimes both. Nothing is planned, it's just bring whatever you were going to have and share.

18. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We have done both - camped alone (nice) and with another camper couple (glad we could help them lift the roof w/broken cable). I don't think we would be comfortable sharing our camper with others unless it was an emergency (like a family in a tent and bad storms looming). As a friend once told me, "Your camper may dine with 6, but it only sleeps 2!" We are, however, looking forward to our first rally in the fall in Florida (Silver River SP).

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Mostly it is DH and me; sometimes I go solo. I also take a "ladies trip" every couple of years; one friend likes to camp and her DH does not, the other's DH is not always able to take vacation in high season. We also occasionally meet the second couple for some part of a camping trip. So far, none of DH's family want to go camping with us, though we may host a BIL so the brothers can hike in CO.

We do an annual weekend with people from church, at a group site a couple of hours away; it is really a ground tenting weekend, though a couple of times one family has set up in the parking lot. That set-up has not been as prone to problems as others that we have seen.

Other than that, no group camping; I don't really count the Pop-up Rallies, since the one I've been to so far (second is next week) has been a case of being in the same place but interaction is as much or little as desired

20. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

We meet strangers from the Internet in the woods..... oh wait, they call that a Popup Rally [CK] [:D]