Camping alone or with others?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by va camper, Jul 14, 2011.

1. papachaz

papachaz New Member

we've done both. Oldest DD and SIL have given us a beautiful granddaughter that is now 5 months old, and when we go, most of the time but not always, they'll come up for saturday night at least

2. rambus

rambus Member

I like to go camping with just the wife and kinds but sometimes we bring the redneck in laws for entertainment [:D] [:D] [:D]

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Just me and DW which is OK. We enjoy meeting fellow campers. Camping gives us a chance to do an activity as a couple. Also, none of our friends camp.

4. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I camp alone, which is how I like it. I'm heading out on a trip soon and was talking to a buddy of mine about it recently and he basically invited himself to go with me. OK, I thought, that changes the dynamic a bit but it'll be alright. A few days ago, I called him and he, by this time, had invited his wife to come along as well. [:O] Inside my head, I said,'Whoaaa! When did my little getaway turn into this?' Apparently, this thought was carried over to my voice and he called two days later to apologize and say they weren't going to be able to make it after all!! [;)]

5. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Mostly just the DW, DD, DS and the dog. Tough enough getting all that coordinated without worrying about others. Not that we wouldn't do it - just a matter of timing and opportunity.

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

we mostly camp alone unless we run into HVAC and his crew!!! Hi Pete! [LOL]

7. CampCrazyMom

CampCrazyMom Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Yes, I did laugh out loud. Scared the dog sleeping near me!!!

My son & I camped alone once (and I was scared), after that we pitched our tent on my parents site. They've got a snazzy 5er & the fridge for our goodies! Also, we didn't have to pay & that was nice since hubby was layed off & I was unemployed! Now we're (mostly) back on our feet, have a N2US pup & I plan for it to just be us a lot. However, our first trip my dad has asked to tag along. Since it's all new to me, I will love for him to be near. They will be in their own habitat though. We do some things together (games, two meals, hanging out in the evening), but DS & I also take off on our own (hiking, biking, caving).

No sooner had I bought the pup than one of my "friends" said, "We're going to have to have a girls weekend and camp!" Um, OK, bring your own sleeping arrangements! [:O] I guess that makes me selfish? There are a couple of close friends that I think I might enjoy that with (she wasn't one of them!!). I don't do adult sleepovers at home, can't imagine enjoying them while camping. That's my ME time, my get away from the drama & enjoy life! Yeah, not so much on the handcuffed together thing.

8. flyweed

flyweed New Member

hmm...seems alot of people like going just on their own or "by themselves"....I think they are missing out on alot of fun, friendship and camaraderie. I don't know maybe it's just our age...my wife and I are both "30 somethings" and we ALWAYS go camping to meet up with friends and other relatives. There is nothing like hanging out, shooting the breeze with friends, having some adult beverages around the campfire at night, and staying up late, playing cards or doing a little "late night swimming"

I'd rather go camping with a few other close friends and/or relatives anyday, as opposed to just going by ourselves.

Dan

9. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

I'd rather go with a group. However, if the group can't make it I have no problem going it alone. Nice opportunity to commune with nature.

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

We do both. They don't stay in our pup, they have their own but it's nice to get together. There will be times when we go alone. We have gone alone more than with friends. Of course, going from tent to pup, it will be interesting to see where we wind up on this over the years. [8D]

11. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We have camped just us and our kids, and we have gone camping with friends whose kids are friends with our kids. Positive experiences either way. Once we camped with my FIL & MIL, it was great fun for all and really funny to see what my MIL brought for food - Progresso & Chunky soup, LOL!!!!!

12. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

It's just DW and me. Our friends don't like to camp and have now idea what it is like. A couple times a year we take the grandkids. Last year we took the youngest grandson and middle grandson and it was their first experience of a smore............words can't express the experience. Youngest DGS got a letter and pin from Smokey Bear telling him what a great camper was. He still talks about it [:O]

13. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

All are welcome. We enjoy alone time and larger gatherings. One time Sandi put on FB we were headed to the OR beach for a quite weekend getaway. Within about 3 days we had a group of 22 people signed up to go. Be careful what you put on FB. [LOL]

14. cuninham

cuninham Oh boy...!!

I arrange a group camping outting 2x a year with all my brothers & sisters and their kids & friends at one of the Provincial parks near us.

I'll call and reserve a group camp site for an agreed upon weekend 2 months in advance at a different Provincial Park within 2.5 hr drive from everyone, and after finding out who all is actually coming (adults\kids\vehicles that will be parked on-site), I'll figure out what the cost is (I made a spreadsheet that does this right down to the penny) for every brother\sister who represents the head of their party.

The other weekends through-out the summer month, I reserve *my own site* for my wife\kids at the various Provincial Parks across Ontario.

So I guess I get the best of both...time with everyone in the Cunningham family & then time with just the wife & kids [:D]

15. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Like many here, we do both. DW and I are both in our mid thirties and very social. We have some really exceptional friends that we enjoy spending time with whether it's a BBQ in the back yard or a weekend of camping. We are fortunate in that we have several mountains and national forests practically in our back yard, so a quick weekend getaway....boondocking down some NF road is pretty easy to do. Generally it's just a matter of people having a particular weekend free to go. We have two couples particularly that we camp with quite a bit. We have some other friends that come out maybe once a year and it ends up being a pretty big group campout and lots of fun. Often these weekend outings in the boonies are pretty last minute, so it's just whoever can come is welcome. And like I said, we're usually in the boonies so no reservations to be made....no particular camp site....don't have to worry about getting a group site or multiple camp sites next to each other, etc.

DW and I (along with DS) tend to go off on our own when it's a special occasion (i.e. anniversary, birthday, etc) or if we're doing a "destination" camping trip like we're planning for my birthday in October to the Grand Canyon. It's just too dificult to get others on the same page when you have to be looking at specific dates, times, and looking at reservations for "destination" camping. Also, these tend to be longer trips (usually 3-4 nights +) and it's harder to get everybody on board for those.

16. gzank6

gzank6 Member

we do both, its always interesting to camp with others. You do learn alot about them... when I was in private school they said they used sports as a good test of an individuals character... i'd say camping could be used to do the same.

17. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We've camped a number of ways including:

- DW and I alone - we've gone with just the two of us for some one-on-one alone time. This gives us our needed bonding time and some quiet time that we can enjoy each others' company. Plus we get to do things that we want to do that the kids wouldn't necessarilly enjoy. And don't forget that when the kids (and others) aren't around we can have some "adult" [:O] time too.

- DW, the kids, and I - This is our most common way to go. We are, hopefully, building some good memories with the kids that they'll charish as they grow older and have families of their own. Gotta get the next camping generation ready to carry on.

- With others (mostly family) - It's nice to have company and visit. One advantage is that we can trade-off kids and give each couple some alone time too. The only drawback is that you loose some freedom to spontaneously change plans.

18. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

I use to always camp with friends and relatives as it gave everyone a little bit of something they enjoyed and company to do things with. For example us guy's were all into fly fishing for Salmon an trout, and some of the women so our mornings were pretty much planned as our fishing time after noons we would go exploring , gather fire wood entertain the kids somehow played cards or did our own things and the evenings of coarse were camp fire activities. The kids always had things to do together , swimming exploring fishing and what ever they could think of to entertain themselves. Plus horse shoes , cards and other games. I really enjoyed these trips and hope my kids can experience more of this type as we mostly go as a family only and meet new people along the way now. Most of my cousins , friends, family are either no longer with us in one way or the other and planning around work schedules with friends is almost impossible. All I know is camping and fishing minus some of the set up tear down are my only ways to truly relax.
    I think I'm like Flyfisherman I enjoy being with friends and family but i can enjoy going it alone when all the planets line up right:) like they did on my last trip
    [​IMG]

19. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

We mostly go with just our little gang...my wife, kids, and me. I like the freedom to do our thing without having to worry that our camping buddies feeling like we're trying to run the show. It is getting harder for us though because my 12 year old son is starting to get bored with camping with his smaller siblings.

On the group side of things, we do participate in an annual group camping trip at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana every year. This year the group had grown to 9 families with a total of 28 kids. [LOL] Freakin' breeders! We had folks there from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, and Oklahoma. Good times.

My biggest concern about group camping is that I like to go with people who have similar values as ours...ok, I'll stop beating around the bush. I don't like to camp with folks who pop a beer at 8 AM and spend the entire day drinking. Drunks are not as funny as they think they are. Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy a drink but don't want my kids to be around heavy drinkers. Just my opinion, don't hate me for it. [:)C]

20. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

i go camping to get away from everyone! so we camp alone. just DH, DD and I.
    love it

on occassion when i do see a couple of camp sites that all know eachother and get together around the fire at night i do sometimes wish we invited friends or family with. but that thought quickly fades. lol =)