Camping alone or with others?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by va camper, Jul 14, 2011.

1. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I camp with with family and by my self and have been to a couple of rallys which are fun to go to.

2. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Most of the time, its just us, but we try to do a trip with others once or twice a year. We do not have them share the camper, they can bring a tent or their own camper. Its great to get out just as a family and get away from things, but its also fun to get together with friends and family and enjoy a weekend.

3. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

WOW [?:~{]

We enjoy camping just the DW and I but we also enjoy inviting others that DON'T EVER camp to come with us. If they don't camp then I really don't expect them to wash dishes or cook or anything major. They were invited by you.

Again you did not say if they were regular campers. Our camping friends usually get their own site and like this past weekend our friends cooked and then we cleaned the dishes.

4. alexliz05

alexliz05 New Member

Both. We go just about every weekend so it is usually just our family. But, sometimes with go with friends who have a TT. It's nice for the kids to have someone else to play with.

5. Cindy F

Cindy F New Member

Both but when we're with other folks, they're in their own camper.

6. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

We do both. I love camping with our friends, but......

I can't set up or use my toilet. As our friends (tent campers) 8 yr old daughter thinks it's a novelty, & will use it, then use it, then use it, then use it........... within 3 hours, I'm out of paper, out of water & have to dump!!! Gotta love her [LOL]

So it's best if we all just use the minging CG pit toilet :)

7. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

We do both, but it seems like it's mostly with others. My DH and I are in our 50's, and we love to get out by ourselves once or twice a season to just do nothing for a couple days. He fishes, and I love to read, hike, and cook, so it's nice to have a relaxing weekend with no one else to look after. I love it when we can do what we want and when we want to.....or nothing at all if that's what we're in the mood for. However, most of our camping trips are with family; the grandsons, DS & DIL, cousin, etc. We really enjoy the time we spend with them, but I find that I usually come home from these family trips pretty worn out. There seems to be very little time for relaxing when the kids are along. Bringing just one grandson at a time seems to work the best for us now. We have great one-on-one time with them, and I'm hoping they'll take away some wonderful memories that last forever. I'd love to have another adult couple to go with once in a while, who love camping as much as we do. But most of our friends just aren't into camping all that much.

8. joenowski

joenowski New Member

we do both , we take short weekend trips with the immediate family , (h, w , 3 kids)
    all through the spring and fall and we also do week long summer trips with our best friends and their kids . the family camping is our alone time and the friends camping is our play time , everyone is different and as long as u are camping , it doesnt matter who you are with . Happy Camping :)

9. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Oh......you said it.

DW and I hang out a lot with 6 other couples...we're all pretty close, girls go out on monthly girls night out...guys hang out and do guy stuff; we BBQ...have parties, etc. There are 2 of these couples that we camp with quite a bit (either one or the other or all together)...the 4 other couples like to go maybe once a year and we've been doing this annual campout for about 3 years now.

So last March we're at a BBQ at one of my buddies house and everyone is there. We got to talking and everyone was like "hey Wolf....so when's the big campout this year?"....."we should try some place new this year and mix it up a little." I'm thinking cool.....how does MM day weekend sound, that way people don't have to take a lot of time off, etc. Everyone thought it was a fantastic idea.

Now the first two couples told me right away they wouldn't be able to make it (one going to be on the boat and the other celebrating their anniversary). The other 4 couples all seemed real gung ho about it. So I sat down and started doing a bunch of research to find some new boondocking locations that would be interesting and new. Mind you, boondocking can require substnatially more research than simply trying to find a CG....so hours and hours are put into this.

I start sending out emails in April in RE to several locations looking for input....everyone was like yeah, that place sounds excellent...can't wait. Then in May we start talking about how we want to coordinate....does everyone want to caravan....drive up seperate, etc. Pretty much everyone wanted to drive up seperate due to timing issues, etc....no problem....hand drew a map of the area and marked the most likely spots I would be in based on what I had heard from others, and sattelite mapping.

About a week before the trip I'm calling everyone up to talk about food arrangements, etc......all at once, every single couple bailed on the trip a week out. I was pretty put out and let them know how annoying it was. I don't thik they really realized how much I had to put into research and planning for the trip. I'm happy to do those kind of things because I enjoy it and camping excites me and others excitement about camping excites me....but to just call it off last second with no apparent reason was weird.

Actually found out a few weeks later that buddy X's DW was fighting with buddy Y's wife and buddy Z's wife was caught in the middle so didn't want to be around them.....I guess the 4th couple had their primary vehicle brake down so they're excused. I don't excuse cat fights.

On the plus side, DW and I ended up going and discovered a truly wonderful new spot and my sister and her DH ended up joining us as well last minute. Turned out to be a pretty good trip, but I think I'm done planning these things for the ungreatful.