Camping and Geocaching

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by KJcachers, Jan 30, 2014.

1. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Just posted a new entry to my blog. just started blogging about camping and geocaching and how well they go together.

http://campandcache.com/

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. In just getting ibto geocaching hopefully find some at these parks someday

3. vifquain

vifquain Member

Good read - blog bookmarked!

I think my kids would really like geocaching

4. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Yes, it's a great treasure hunt for kids though not really a lot of treasure to be found. Still fun to find hidden object in nature. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Nice read.
    I'm starting to go through all the caches at our favorite park. Hope someone up there starts putting more out.

I wanted to check out some your owned caches, just to possibly get some more ideas for some of my new ones that I'm placing, but your remaining ones are for premium members only. I can't open them up. Oh well,.....
    I see that a lot of your hides are getting muggled, maybe thats why they are for Premiums only, so cell phones can't find them.

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Exactly right. I had a cache on every single trail in Sky Meadows State Park, with the blessing of the Park Ranger and somebody within the local preservation society felt they didn't belong in the Park because they use modern technology and the park is suppose to remain as it was when it was a working farm in the past. Couldn't prove they took the caches but there must have been some discussions because the park suspected somebody they wouldn't name. I changed those that hadn't been muggled into premium only to see if I could preserve them. So far so good. At some point I'll redo the missing ones but in a new location.

7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

That is a good idea to try and keep them in play.

On another note, some cachers around here, (actually 5 hours north of here where we camp), (1 person in particular), has made all her caches premium only view. She is a brand new player, but says that if you want to play the game, you need to pay and become a premium member. I have mixed feelings on that. I certainly hope she doesn't go looking for any caches that were placed by non-premium members. I've been tempted a few times to call her on that, but then give it a second thought and don't want to start a fight.

I can see why, and agree with your decision to make yours invisible to cell phones.

8. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

I'm a premium m ember and search for all caches. The membership is my way of supporting the hobby. Without the revenue Groundspeak wouldn't exist and the hobby would be dead.

9. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

Same here.

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

bus driverwc75, nice handle you use! i take it you do that for a living? i too drive a bus what part of PA are you from? i see chester county pa! i work for the veterans hospitail in pittsburgh, but travel to the coatsville and lebenon va hospitial on occassion you anywhere near that? maybe do some cacheing out that way

11. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

We have found a couple caches with the boys and they really seemed to enjoy the hunt. My oldest son's cub scout den took a day to go geocaching and all the boys earned geocaching patches.

12. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

It's nice to know that a lot of campers geocache. DD and I have been doing it for a while and enjoy it. The first thing we do when going to a new place to camp is see what geocaches are around. Buffalo Trace Park has some decent ones and the camp sight is pretty nice.

13. WadeT

WadeT New Member

Your blog made me re-install the Geocaching.com app.... Thanks!! [:D] [:D]

14. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

New entry posted!

www.campandcache.com

15. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Just added another post! www.campandcache.com

16. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

Thanks for sharing, the blog is cool and the pictures are great!

There is always "something to do" with the kids every time we camp because of geocaching! The kids ask for it "can we go find some treasure Mama?" and I almost always say yes :)

Keep up the good writeups!

17. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Geocaching and camping do indeed go very well together... the boys and I do it whenever we go to a new site. If your favorite camping spot lacks any caches nearby, then it's a great opportunity to hide your own.

18. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Finally got around to posted another entry to the blog! www.campandcache.com

19. bflentje

bflentje Member

Never camped there but I've visited Kiptopeke State Park before and saw those concrete ships. I visited there purely to geocache and stumbled upon the historical vessels. Fascinating.

20. Glensdad

Glensdad New Member

We try to find a few caches every time we camp. Geocaching will bring us to a lot of great places that we wouldn't have seen otherwise. And they are usually free!!!