Camping and Laptops

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by jpohlcat, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jpohlcat

jpohlcat New Member

Right now we only use a portable dvd player we have in the TV for the kids on rainy times when camping to keep them occupied but as we look at longer camping trips and after seeing some recent posts about TV tuners and laptops, I had a question. We've shyed away from taking our laptop camping b/c we were concerned about the extreme heat in the PUP or in the TV (when we were away from the site). What's been your experience with laptops and the heat? Any recommendations to minimize the exposure or potential issues about taking it?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Keep it out of the sun and perhaps insulate a tote with Reflectix and keep it in there.

3. bmb

bmb New Member

Check it's operating temperature... It's usually listed in the specs... For example a toshba laptop has an operating temperature of 41-95 degrees. That's operating, storage is usually below freezing and over 100 degrees. Just avoid direct sunlight...

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I only take mine when it's going to be a long trip and I may want tv or want the kids to watch a DVD. I just have regular computer bag that it goes in. If it is hot, the camper AC stays on anyway. In the car the bag provides insulation for it. I would say don't worry about it and use common sense about how you store it or where you place it.

5. lars

lars New Member

As long as you're operating the laptop in a position where it's fan can cool the CPU and it doesn't get clogged with dust, I wouldn't worry about the heat.

I take my Asus EEE 901 in my Jeep when we go fourwheeling. I leave it in a soft-case and/or in my backpack to protect it from dust. It's solid state so there's no HD to crash from jostling around. I attach an external USB HD when I want to backup my camera's SD and CF card images.

It's also great for watching movies on the plane...5-6 hrs on the standard battery with optional uber batteries available, too.

...lars

6. hannahsmom

hannahsmom New Member

Keep it out of direct sunlight and sure, take it and enjoy. Also then you can post pics and camping updates on Pup Up Portal!!! [CP]

7. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

Mine has come with me on every camping trip. Ive run it for periods of time with a aux jack to the stereo, and have watched movies on it many a rainy night. I also have left it, in its bag, in the pup. While I always take care to keep it out of direct sunlight, and where able often try to keep it off, as to keep its internal temp down while it sits "idle" Ive never once had any issues with it running hot or giving me a problem.

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We have an Acer Aspire One and take it everywhere. As a matter of fact, we bought it specifically for our trips. It is very light weight and easy to use while riding in the TV. For television, we use our extra 19" flat screen monitor with a tv tuner box and if we need a bigger screen, we just connect the mini to the big screen. We have never worried about the heat. We never leave it in the pup when we leave. It travels in a little backpack. We use it a lot and when we are not camping in State Parks, we try to stay at campgrounds with internet service. DW likes to stay connected to the outside world. I'm sure some camping purists are cringing, but we do like our gadgets and comforts. For many years, we dry camped in tents and at our age we just want to get away and enjoy being outdoors and enjoying nature while still keeping in touch with the rest of the world.

9. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I am an IT Consultant, meaning I travel for work constantly, and I carry a laptop. Mine gets left in the car all the time, in the heat, in the cold, and no problems at all. Just keep it in a case or laptop bag and it will be fine.

10. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I leave mine in the camper all the time when camping or if we leave for the day it goes in the car and have had no problems. My work laptop is usually left in the car winter and summer and have no problems

11. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

We leave ours in the camper all the time. We have air conditioning though and keep the inside of the PUP around 70 degrees. Unless you are camping in the middle of a desert someplace, you should be fine.

12. mbopp

mbopp New Member

One of the reasons I bought a laptop was for camping. It's nice for checking the weather and web searching. We'll be camping where there's no tv or internet but we'll still take it for watching DVD's. I keep it in a soft case locked in the TV under the seat.

13. cdkline

cdkline New Member

I wanted to chime in on this topic. I just bought a laptop and sold by desk top computer. Mainley for the portability of camping/ travel. So many places now have free WIFI it's great. I did wonder about tne summer heat too but sounds like that's not a problem reading post from others. My pup is air conditioning as well.

Thanks and Happy Camping

14. jpohlcat

jpohlcat New Member

Thanks for the assurances! Our PUP has A/C too, so that should help. Guess I'll be checking out TV tuners now [:D].

15. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

You can check out the post that I started recently on the TV Tuner topic...
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=27675.0

16. jpohlcat

jpohlcat New Member

Thanks Chewie! I think your post is actually the one I was reading that triggered my question.

17. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I have yet to bring the laptop camping, manely because everytime we get ready to leave the woman says, "Your not taking the computer, right". She would rather I just spend the time relaxing and forget about everything else. But last trip, I couldn't sleep and there I was in the rec hall watching the tube by myself after midnight, I would rather have spent some time on the portal, etc. I work nights, so being up at this time is like a every night thing for me, so this week, I will be bring the laptop. I figure this trip we will be taking my mother and her husband along, so if I have trouble sleeping, I'll just take the computer and head to the rec hall rather the keep the others awake. I have an insluated case so I think it will be fine stored in the TV during the day.

18. rcjsmom

rcjsmom New Member

On free wifi...if you have a macintosh laptop as I do, our last trip did not have instructions to connect a mac. I do mac support, so consider myself knowledgeable about connecting to a network, but they must not have had mac services enabled or something and the campground instructions were only for window boxes. I could see the network, but when I clicked join, it timed out. So, IF you are one of those with a mac, check to see if they support macs on their network. The campground suggested I contact their ISP, but it just wasn't worth the time, but I wished I had it for weather monitoring with all the lightning in the area to know what we were in for.

As far as temps, I ride with mine on the back of a motorcycle to and from work on 'warm' days and have never had issues with it. I've also left it in the car over night on 'cold' nights. In my support role, I've seen them boot after being driven over while in their case. It does a number on the screen, but we could remote into it, so the data was recoverable. The screen actually showed the tire tread imprinted. That being said, it is not recommended as it did destroy the functionality as an independent portable device. [:D]

19. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

It seems that more and more CG's are going WIFI. We have found a lot of state and county parks that have WIFI, and that makes keeping up with everything a lot easier. It also allows me to leave on Friday morning for a weekend camping trip and once at CG, log on and do a little work, then the rest of the weekend is mine.

Also you can read new post on PopUpPortal while camping!!