Camping and the Landfill My NTU DO table

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by yetavon, May 6, 2014.

1. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Moving over 800 miles I realized I had to lighten my load, living in Tulsa had the advantage of bulk waste pick up for 5$, so I would put a large pile out by the curb and call the city for pick up. More than once I had to cancel because my neigbhors would pick it clean. Oh how I miss my stuff.....lol.

2. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Back in the early 60's, my grandpa worked at the township dump, collecting the entry fees. He would bring home a good amount of stuff. If one of us kids spent the weekend at grandpa & grandma's we'd get to go with him and bring home stuff too. I'm not ashamed to say that I've picked a few things up from the boulevard a time or too.

3. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

ok, I'll admit...I've "dumpster-dove" before too......... [:I]

4. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

I tend to buy new rather than look for thrown away items. But I usually do not throw it away until it is useless rubble. If I get rid of something that is still usable it goes to someone that can use it.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Our landfill is very strict and no picking there either. Heck they always have enough staff to every dump section and they watch you get out and get back into the car and drive off. No wondering aloud. Now I have occationly dumpster dived in my years. Pulled out an old shag carpet once. Ugly as sin, but after a huge disgusting washing we furnished an unfurnished basement with it. I'm the type to continue to use something until not even ducktape can hold it together anymore. When i was in college I loved it when the seniors graduated as they threw out nearly everything still in very usuable condition. I often made big scores in their trash. Even got my dorm fridge from those picks and it still works 20+ years later. Don't make them like that anymore. Great find on that dutch oven stand. Where I live currently people here are holding on to everything so even yardsales are pretty much junk.

6. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I once got a 100 gallon, yes 100 gal, propane tank half full of propane at a dump site because they could not figure out how to dispose of it. Still using it, had it inspected last spring and it is still as good as new.

7. infernisdiem

infernisdiem Member

We have a transfer station up my way, and my buddy and I check out the metal pile, and wood pile. The last trip we found a full bed frame, we cut it up and made what we call Franken cart sp. It is an old snowblower that the auger didn't work on, with bed rail frame up to a hitch point for my riding mower. This allowed us to haul wood from out back, and when we got stuck, we engaged the drive train on the snowblower and it pushed us out. A bit wobbly, and very slow, but it is 100 times easier to pull a handle than push 500 lbs of wood lol