Camping at First Landing Park in Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Norfolk, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

After lots of preparation, I took my old gal out for a week of camping at First Landing Park (formerly Seashore State Park) in Va Beach. Since I didn't want to spend my time cooking, I fixed all my food ahead of time so I'll I'd have to do is reheat and eat.

Great campground, nice folks, had a wonderful time until "the storm" hit last night. One minute we're on the beach enjoying an evening lightning show way off in the distance, next minute there are 50 mph winds and rain falling......By the time I got back to camp, lots of folks were busy putting stuff under cover and trying to roll up the awnings on their pups.

I didn't quite make it in time. [:(] a 4" tear where the awning fabric attaches to the stow-away bag and bracket. At least I got it rolled up to prevent more damage, but with the heavy winds and strong rain I thought we were going to blow away.... A credit to her craftsmanship, the 89 Laramie made it though the storm with only minor leaking at the door.

All-in-all, it was a good trip and I'd highly recommend the campground.

Here are some pics of my campsite set-up:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.201530749899520.71019.100001277896146&l=eb4609f5de

2. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Nice pics Steve.......glad you had a good outing!

3. taxguy

taxguy Sandusky, OH

First Landing is on our list (maybe next summer). The old Colemans are great aren't they? We have an 88 Sequoia. Ours look very similar. I like how to worked in the A/C. Question on the awning - how are the poles attached to the roof lift arms? I wonder if there is a bracket that I am missing? We have just been setting our poles on the ground and using stakes.

4. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Very nice. which loop where you in? I love the campground we stayed in c loop very private site can hear your neighbor but could not see them!!

5. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

@Taxguy... yeah the older Colemans were built like tanks....I saw an similar year Sequoia at the campgrounds. Really wanted to get a close look at it, but the opportunity didn't present itself. If you're planning a trip to First Landing, make your reservations as early as you can..... the place fills up pretty quickly.

As for the awning, I put suction cups on the upper section of the lift arms and just swung the poles up and fastened them with ropes. Seemed to work pretty well. I think that even if I'd used them the conventional way, the rip still would have happened because of the high wind.