Camping at races

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JustRelax, Oct 17, 2014.

1. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

So I'm kicking around possibly making a long weekend at a race next year. Those of you who have done it what is the experience? Any to avoid? I'm open to more than just Nascar. I'm thinking the indycars and mid-Ohio - can you see racing from your spot? Bristol would be another possibility but I know it's outside the track. I live in Indy so the Indy 500 isn't the best option for me. Just kicking it around as I don't know where to start looking or what I should expect.

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Can only speak to Mid-Ohio. If you are in the camping area, you really can't see any racing. There is some premium parking along side of the track in several areas where you can see the racing, even better if you have a walkable roof.

Expect a huge amount of dust in the camping area if dry, or if wet, mud.

Hopefully you are self contained. The facilities are limited and the only showers are on the opposite side of the track from the campground. There are flush toilets in the infield but I don't remember any flush toilets in the campground.

3. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

There is a full hookup campground near Bristol - about 15 minutes away. Heckuva lot cheaper than paying 500+ to be near the track.

Let me know if interested and I'll get the name for you.

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We have camped at Bristol, Dover, Darlington, Martinsville, and Richmond. We prefer to camp away from the track just to avoid the roudy fans that prefer to drink and carry on. There are some to definitely stay away from at Bristol as they pack you in like sardines. We stay the week at the Twin City Drive In at Bristol. $300 for the week with electricity and clean showers and if you come in on Sunday, you get to watch a movie. It is about a 1 mile walk that is pretty easy and they will shuttle you down to the track for a donation, the walk back is quick and easy along with hundreds of others. At Dover we stay at Killens Pond SP. It is a 15 minute drive to the track and an easy drive. You get in and out fairly quickly since the attendance is down so much. We got our camper just so we wouldn't have to pay $400 a night at a hotel and it has served us well. We are destination campers and camp and go to the race.

5. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Camping at a race is maybe something that I'd put on my to-do list some day. But for now, I realize that I'm NOT ready to spend what it would take to make it happen. Can you get elec hookups and all that at the tracks?

I work some weekend club events at a semi-local track. One of the perks for the workers is free overnight camping. Usually pretty quiet and secluded, except for the NHRA event, that is an all-night party. I had to fall asleep with my sound system on pretty loud, just to drown out the other noise and live band. I do prefer the smaller club races, where most of the participants stay at local hotels instead. Leaves the land at the track to the workers for the most part.

6. BALTIBCAMPER

BALTIBCAMPER Member

We camped at Dover speedway last year and had a blast! The campground was so close to the race track and there was so much more to do. We have a 2007 Fleetwood Niagara and it easily into the camp space.I like the fact that you can prepay for your campsite and tickets over a few months. There were no hookups(they have water) so next year we would like to bring a generator. It's noisy until 11 o'clock because of the generators but everything calms down. yeah there are a couple of drunk idiots but for the most part everybody has family fun. [:D] [PU]

7. Wayne In Florida

Wayne In Florida Member

I have been camping for the last 16 years at Darlington with the same group of guys. We stay at a camp ground called the Weekend Pit stop located just outside the Front stretch of the track on Indian Branch Rd, leaving us a 1/2 mile (At Most) walk to the gate. RV sites have 30 amp service with some with 50 amp. there are some tent sites but not many. It has showers and sell Ice for a fair price. Just 1 mile down the road is a food store and a dollar general. Many of the people come back each year and its like a family reunion. The owners Rick& Mark are on site and will correct any issues or the odd unruly camp. If you would like more info PM me.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Darlington+Raceway/@34.2868831,-79.9056075,165m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88556fc37b31d73b:0x9b5770458295e6f9

Jason#4 likes this.
  8. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Thanks for the reply's! Darlington sounds fun but may need to make that one more than a long weekend. It sounds like everything is pretty primitive as well in most places. Thanks for the advice on a place to start.

9. efehser

efehser New Member

I've 'camped' at Chicagoland at the on property cgs. No hookups, no shade, packed pretty tight. They do have camp stores with ice and sundries, and it's close enough to civilization to drive to Wally for other things. The track has shuttles since it can be a two mile walk to the gates.

10. Jason#4

Jason#4 New Member

I know this is an old post but I bought my pup to go to Eldora Speedway in Ohio, any tips or advice? Wouldn’t mind doing Darlinton or Charlotte NASCAR races too.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I was talking to an old friend who went to a Nascar campground many years ago. They said the races we're awesome but the campground was awful. They couldn't get over how much drinking went on. Very roudy crowd. At the time they only had pit toilets. The dust was flying everywhere. Now Grant you that was many years ago. So not sure if it's the same experience. Or if different races bring a different type of crowd.

12. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

I had my first experience at Watkins Glen this fall....the 'good' campsites are taken by regulars who have been there for years......pretty much the rest of the camping is either the party crowd, or there is family amping that is a bit quieter.....however, everyone is crammed on top of each other and you really don't have any good spots to watch the race from your camper.

That being said, I did see a couple of locals who had campers set up in their fields - much quieter, and nicer areas away from the masses at the track.....

No idea on cost however, I'm sure it's not cheap! For WG, I'd probably check out one of the state parks nearby and try to park there and drive in for the racing.....

13. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I do it , but i go to motorcycle race or mostly track events where i ride on the track. So its a bit different as its less crowded and during the evening and night we have like dinner and corn hole tournament at the garages. Its free for riders so cannot comment there either.
    so totally useless post

14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would check the web where the camping. Through the years I heard people talk about camping outside the track and camping in the center of the track. I think it depends on the track.

15. HC1

HC1 New Member

The one thing ruins camping at races is the inconsiderate a-holes who use open frame construction generators. That the venues don't ban them boggles the mind.

Other than that it is a lot of fun.

16. Jason#4

Jason#4 New Member

Are you saying it should only be inventor style generators?

17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I did it once but had an awful time. It was way to rowdy for us... Beer cans flying everywhere... People jumping from the tops of the RV to the next one... The party never stops... all weekend long... could not really see the race all that great either. Much better watching it on TV... Just wasn't what I was expecting I guess... I went in my OFF-ROAD POPUP and maybe it would have been better being in trailer with walls and doors haha...

I guess we all should do at least one haha...

I also got to thinking it may be unsafe sitting around with all the generators exhaust running outside... Everyone had one going day and night... Be prepared for lots of noise associated with that.. I have been to several Ham Radio outings but it would usually have one genset sitting at the end of the camp site somewhere and everyone hooked up to it...

Lots of people doing it so it is very popular... Just not my cup of tea hehe...

It was neat however to get to see your favorite drivers up close...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

At Talladega, there are two campgrounds: one for family only and one for partying groups. the race track owner decided to split the large campground into 2 because a lot of the families complained about the rowdy atmosphere. The splitting solved a lot of problems..

19. jdkmrc

jdkmrc New Member

Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI (about an hour north of Milwaukee) is a great place. There are many different events throughout the spring/summer/fall. Club races, motorcycle, vintage, Indycar, NASCAR, stadium trucks, etc. Very family friendly

Most of the sites are primitive (no hookups) but there is some with electric. There are two dump/water stations on the grounds.

I've been there for the NASCAR Xfinity series a number of years (our group was even pictured in their annual brochure for a couple years!).

All of their facilities are either flush or port-a-jons. They do an excellent job of cleanliness during the weekends, too. Not much dust. There are plenty of beer drinkers, but not too many hell raisers. Quiet hours are closely monitored.

We will be headed there in August, again. The biggest complaint is when the garbage truck empties the dumpster at 3 in the morning. But since we go every year we know it's going to happen.

https://www.roadamerica.com/camping-info.html

TDS-MN likes this.
  20. AC Smith

AC Smith New Member

Go for it...I highly recommend camping at NASCAR races.

Have camped at Texas Motor Speedway, Daytona, Talladega, Kansas, Kentucky, and Phoenix. Have never camped in the infield. I have never had the desire to do that as I prefer to watch the races from the grandstands.

Most of the tracks do have a family-friendly areas. In addition, most tracks have a key campground person on their staff that can direct you to the areas that are historically not as crowded.

We choose to camp away from any fixed shower / toilet facilities. This tends to aid in not being right up against other campers. In fact at Texas, my nearest neighbor was a good 400 feet away. Porta-potties are generally within 100-300 feet and at most tracks you can arrange to have one at your spot (fee charged).

On average, the camp spots are roughly 20 ft x 40 ft. Most tracks will have a place for water fill up and a dump station (if you depend on that, call/research the track before heading out). Some tracks have on-site facility for groceries, camping supplies, ice, etc (again, call/research the track).

Bring foam earplugs. Not just for the race, but for sleeping. As mentioned in another reply, some campers are very inconsiderate with respect to generator use (the open frame generators)....they are okay for temporary use, but when they run it 12-16 hours a day...it is quite ridiculous. Personally, I have a very low power need and will survive 3-5 days at the race with just the 12 volt system.

Have fun! AC

Jason#4 and Halford like this.