camping dog

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by dwas3, Dec 7, 2012.

1. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Our new camping puppy - Duncan, He is a Great Pyrenees. Here he is at 15 weeks old trying the camper out for the first time -
    [​IMG]

and jump ahead to 11.5 months and here he is practicing his "Happy Camper Face" -
    [​IMG]

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Always with me; an Alaskan Malamute

11 months old in this photo...
    [​IMG]

14 months old in this photo...
    [​IMG]

3. rd3

rd3 New Member

Camping people are good people
    Dog people are good people
    Camping dog people must be awesome

4. Hawks

Hawks Member

Our 2 year old Redbone coonhound Ruby Sue, loves to go camping too. She goes crazy when she knows I've popped up the trailer and is getting it ready for a camping trip.

5. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Bagels the Beagle. Lol
    As a pup.
    [​IMG]

On one of our recent camping trips about all grown up.

[​IMG]

6. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Love the dogs!

We've got 2 northern breeds, and a brand new TT for their comfort.
    [​IMG]
    Princess Reba the husky, claiming her (our) bed.

[​IMG]
    Balto the malamute, always happy if he's got room on the floor to stretch out!

7. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

We pick up our newest campin pup tomorrow!

8. XD9_Shorty

XD9_Shorty New Member

Here's our little camping buddy. First camping trip for her this weekend. I think she'll do awesome! Madison "Maddy" American Pit - mamma's big baby.

[​IMG]

9. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

Our Lily loves to camp - the last time we were packing up the pup to go, she was freaking out because we didn't put the step out for her to get up inside. We then closed up the camper to get ready to leave, and couldn't find the dog. I send the kids out to go up and down the street looking for her, and I'm in the back yard calling her, freaking out more than a little. One of the kids says "I think she's IN the camper!" I didn't think that was possible......but we ended up hearing a faint bark - opened up the pup, and there was the Pup!

I don't have a pic of her IN the camper, but here she is helping me drive - she loves everything about the van too:

[​IMG]

10. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

That's perfect, reading that made my day...

... and yes, we are! [:D] [;)]

11. tonyshell

tonyshell Member

We have sprinkles (kids named her). She is a bichon/shih tzu mix. Great little dog, patient, doesn't bark much and loves to snuggle. Not to keen on some of the wildlife though, one trip a squirrel jumped on her, she watched that tree the rest of the week. She was also very interested in the buffalo in Custer st park, head out the window whining and barking at them as the herd strolled across the road in front of us.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

Yes, exactly! :)

13. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Here is our new campin dog Gus, he has some growing to do but he will fit in just rite!
    [​IMG]

14. commonguy001

commonguy001 New Member

We have two Miniature Schnauzers that LOVE camping.
    Lucy (5) and Sebastian (1.5) are on their way to becoming camper professionals!

[​IMG]

15. Carmenh

Carmenh New Member

Me and my guys are new to camping but so far, we're all having a blast! These are from a couple of weeks ago in Collingwood, Ontario. Next week we're off to a DockDogs competition in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Jimmy is starting the recognize the cues that we're going somewhere in the TT, and gets super excited!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. va3rbz

va3rbz New Member

We bought the trailer and the TV for our 90lb yellow lab, Parker. He seems to like the trailer ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

90 LB LAB!!!! That's big. I've had ~70 lb labs that want to sleep with me, and found them enough to handle.

I currently have a 70 lb 11 yr old lab, a 7 yr old deaf/blind Aussie terrier, and the new addition, a 1 yr old Lab/Coonhound mix who thinks he is part billy goat. I recently took all of them on the first trip of the season, and the 1 yr old, Happy, kept climbing on the picnic table any chance he got. He also had no troubles jumping on the bunk bed, although he seemed to think it was hard getting off. At home or away, he tries to engage his 11 yr old brother in play fighting. I got a chew toy while on my trip to see if this would help. It did, but he thought the sticks he picked up were much better fun. [8D]

I'm currently in the process of leash training, since he hasn't had any of this. Unfortunately I didn't bring his easy walker harness for this trip. Every time we went out hiking he thought it was great fun to let the leash go slack, then run full tilt until the leash literally turned him 180 degrees, and yanked my arm! He did this constantly any time we went for a walk. Well, more training is in order.

The good news is he slept well at night when everything went quiet, whether we went for a hike or not. I think all of the extra activity of camping helped burn some of his energy off.

I'm sure that I can help mold him into a great camping dog, given some time, love and above all, treats.

18. Pop up Pooley

Pop up Pooley New Member

This is my 105lb Rottweiler, Reggae. I also have an adorable border collie mix named Romeo.

[​IMG]

19. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

We took our 'new' camping dog with us this last weekend and she did great..she is a rescue we've had for about 6 months and this was her first camping trip. She was somewhat anxious the first 24hrs or so, and we had to get her used to all the kids coming and going from the campsite....but I think she's going to be a lot of fun while camping! Plus, she's a great 'security system'....here she is guarding the door of the PUP:
    [​IMG]
    Guard doggie by shizzknits, on Flickr

And here she is just hanging out in the sun...
    [​IMG]
    Why can't I go for a run???? by shizzknits, on Flickr

20. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Our "Dita" is a three year old Chinese Crested Dog...[​IMG]