Camping during hunting season.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Chilidog, Nov 11, 2012.

1. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Da Yoopers- Second Week of Deer Camp

2. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

All outdoor recreational activities have the opportunity for an otherwise responsible person to do something spectacularly WRONG (see SPUT). One should probably take extra precautions during certain seasons. Baseball season, trout season, football season, etc.

Camping sites should be picked with extra awareness, rustling through brush should be off the activities list. I guess if I was to site a sanitary facility I wouldn't necessarily hide it near as well as other times of the year, and I would really be careful bending over to pick up an escaping roll of all purpose paper during white tail season. Just saying. [:)C]

3. Sterman

Sterman Member

Bondo, your deer camp video is hilarious, thanks!

4. bropaul

bropaul New Member

I may need to make an orange vest for our dog, Alex, a border collie/spaniel mix. While camping this October, he scared the b'geebers out of a hiker as we were walking along an Au Sable River trail. Alex was ahead of us and crested a hill with his head and tail down... at first site the hiker, coming from the opposite direction, "thought he was a black bear cub"! Fortunately, we all had a good laugh as Alex made a new friend. [:D]
    Diane

5. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I think it would greatly depend on how/where you're camping. During hunting season, I'd most likely steer clear of some of my favorite backwoods boondock sites; that said, I wouldn't hesitate to camp at a NFS CG or SP here in the mountains. I don't think too many hunters hunt in the vicinity of the actual CG.

I'd also probably cross some of my wilderness hikes off of the activities agenda as well and stick to the more beaten path...actually, I'd probably just sit around the fire and enjoy some adult beverages

6. Geistak

Geistak New Member

Probably just as well :) - it might be unwise to confront a party of revelling hunters, even if they were all doing the hokey-cokey at 3 am!

Things are simpler in the UK, only the criminals carry guns here - but they're usually easy to spot because they tend to drive around in big white cars with blue flashing lights on the top....

7. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

In my experience, hunters aren't really big partiers...they usually turn in pretty early and are out hunting before dawn. The only time I've had what could be considered an "issue" was a group of hunters on their last night...no need to get up early so they stayed up and celebrated a good hunt; even then, they really weren't all that noisy...and at least it was mostly the sound of laughter, etc and not blaring music.

8. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Yeah, that makes sense. Actually, my biggest concern was just how full the campground was. In reality, just about all of the people there turned in before we did so it was just as quiet as any other camping trip... and that's just how I like it :)

9. Goldenboy40

Goldenboy40 New Member

the "O" in cow was a luring bullseye

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I camped at a state park i n PA last year during hunting season. It was a very pleasant trip crisp morning air but comphortable afternoons and beautiful leaves. At least for me most of the hunters must have been local as the campground was fairly empty. My biggest problem for me was waking up at four in the morning listening to gunshots. I'm a very very light sleeper so couldn't really sleep after that. I personally stuck to well defined hiking trails usually away from the hunting area. So I say go for it but bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. I also agree with the red or florescent vest for hiking the trails, and just keep to the trails. May want to talk to the rangers to get an idea where exactly the hunting grounds are vrs the hiking trails to get their opinions. Enjoy and happy camping.

11. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

I often am nervous fall camping in Wisconsin. We usually camp with a group at a group site in Point Beach State Park the last weekend of September. I found out that was some kind of bow season one year when a group of hunters walked into the group site (in the state park) with their bows drawn pointing toward us. We had kids and dogs running around everywhere? Some of our people yelled at them and they yelled at us, but no one could get any cell reception to call the rangers before the hunters took off into the woods again.

12. WingShot

WingShot New Member

A group of hunters with bows drawn? Pointing at you? Perhaps you're exaggerating to make a point? Bowhunters do not make a practice of running around with bows drawn.

Not only do I camp during hunting season, I hunt during camping season. Around here, no hunting within 150 yards of an established CG or occupied campsite. And always wear some sort of blaze orange while walking around the woods then, hunting or not.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

In Oregon, it seems that most of the late summer and fall is hunting season of one sort or the other, so we camp as usual with some thought to campsite selection. In general rifle (deer) season, most of the good dispersed sites are occupied, so we may choose to go to a campground.

For hiking, just whistle while you walk. I worked as a timber cruiser long ago, and we didn't get time off for hunting season. Busting through thick brush worried me a bit until I realized that, even if they can whistle, the deer, bear, and elk can't carry a tune. It's pretty obvious that crazy creature whistling circus music must be human.

14. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

I've camped at Point Beach Forrest, those guys must have been lost or playing some sort of prank on you. To get anywhere near the group sites they would have had to crossed fences that are clearly marked all over the place "STATE PARK" "NO HUNTING" [{:)]

BTW, I have Cell Com... Awesome reception at PBF [8D]

15. hootn

hootn Member

the main reason i bought my pup was account of hunting, turkey season. i camp in the national forrest have never had any problems. this past spring was the first with the pup, however i had been camping in the same camp for around 10 years or so in a tent.. since gas prices went thru the roof. i really hunt right behind the camp but its about a mile to the area i hunt.

scott

16. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Our last camping trip of the season is the first weekend in October. 2 yeas ago, we were camping at a County Regional Park. I was awoken early to the sound of shotgun shots in a distance. I got up, made a pot of coffee, and sat outside just to enjoy the quiet. We had the last site in the corner of the campground, and across from us was a cornfield. To my surprise, a large group of Jenny's (this year's female turkeys) were walking line in line. I tried to count them, but some were weaving in and out of the cornstalks. I did count about 28, but there were more than that-an awesome scene that I did not see before. Last year, we were camping lakeside at a fishing resort, and bring and early you could hear the sounds of gunshots in the distance.

17. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

They were young guys (late teens to early 20's and came through on the foot trail that goes through the scout site from the east, not from the more popular hunting areas to the south and west. It is quite possible they were trying to mess with us. It made us all so mad and they were laughing about it, too. This was about 5 years ago and since then they have added several more towers in the area so we have no issues with cell reception now.