Camping During Spouse's Surgery

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by barb_dave, May 4, 2013.

1. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Next week my wife will be having surgery which will require her to be in the hospital for a week. I had originally booked a hotel and then my grown step son suggested we look into camping near the hospital. As it turns out there is a CG 7 miles from the hospital. I cancelled the hotel and reserved a site at the CG for the week.

As it turns out this is really a better option. The cost savings on renting a camp site over the hotel is $266.00 on it's own. Then there are the additional savings from making meals at the CG vs the number of times we would be eating at restaurants.

Not only are the cost savings a factor but the love of camping is also a plus.

2. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Smart!

3. campingprincess

campingprincess New Member

Very good idea!! I hope all goes well with your wife's surgery & she has a speedy recovery........ Happy Camping [CP]

4. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

When I read the headline I thought "here comes a divorce", then after reading the post thought "this guy is absolutely BRILLIANT!"

5. Twisty

Twisty New Member

When I was young, I was in a hospital for 2 1/2 weeks because of an auto wreck. Mom stayed in the TT nearby.

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I'm surprised the difference between motel and PUP isn't even more. Either you're staying at one fancy CG or one cheap motel. [;)] When we take a traditional vacation with motel, we usually spend @150-200/night vs. a max of $55 at a CG. We can afford to eat a lot of steak when camping for that kind of $$.

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I was camping last week with SCBradyBunch and the DW was scheduled for carpal tunnel surgery last Friday, and the pre-op appointment on Wed.. She drove home both days (surgery day her dh went of course) and came back with a "half" cast the length of her forearm, hard on the bottom and soft on top. Even left Eli with Gramma & Grandpa and had two days to just relax. We all left Sat though, as rain was coming that night and wasn't supposed to let up for a couple days.

Camping is the best place to recover, IMHO. It should be a RULE, actually. [A]

[:D]

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

It is the best place to heal. I'm going this weekend with a half cast, five screws, and a plate in my wrist. Full cast goes on Monday.
    I've been "turning left" for a week now.

9. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

Good luck on your wife's surgery. I hope things work out for her and you. I had a back operation many years ago and after it, my supervisor at work told me to take his permanent camper for a couple of weeks to recoup. I did just that and felt the relaxing time aided my recovery.

10. zjrog

zjrog Member

I have seen RVs and TTs at one are hospital and it looked like they had hookups. Maybe at least electrical. Not sure I'd be comfortable leaving a Pup popped up there though...

I hope all goes well with surgery. We've been through our fair share...

11. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

I work for a hospital,and we have 10 free full hookup sites for our patients family's to use, so they can stay close by.

12. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Baron!! What the heck happened to you?? I had no idea you had a mishap that bad, and if I did and went blank, sorry for sounding ignorant! LOL

[:D]

13. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

After reserving the site the cost per day worked out to 23.71 per night the hotel was 72.00 per night.

Thanks for all of the well wishes. She is having 90% of her colon removed but I'm sure she'll recover just fine.

14. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

WOW! You not only stay at expensive motels but expensive CGs. I hate that I am paying $17 a night to camp over Memorial weekend.

15. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

20.00 to 25.00 per night for a county CG is typical here. Private CG can run around 40.00 and up. As for hotels around Madison WI 60.00 and up a night is normal.

16. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

So the surgery is going to be at UW? Good hospital.
    I was wondering how things were progressing timewise. Keep us updated as you get a chance. You and Barb are in our thoughts.

17. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Thanks Bruce. The surgery is at UW. I got the camper all ready to go over the great weekend we just had. I'm taking the camper down to the CG this coming Sunday. Barb and I will be staying at a hotel Sunday night only because of the pre surgery prep that will be needed. The surgery is scheduled for the 13th in the AM.

I'll be down in Madison (Lake Farm County Campground) with my step son most of the week. Since Landen will stay home with my Mom I'll come home on Wed. and go back down either Wed night or early Thurs morning. If all goes well Barb will be released on Friday. I'll bring her home and my step son will camp the rest of the weekend. I'll just have to go back down on Sunday to pull the PUP home.

If Barb would happen to be in longer I can rent a site at the CG longer.

All the best to your family.

18. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

DW and I never agree on travel hotels. Typically we will stop driving around nine and hit the road early. To me that means no surprises from the hotel. i want to get in and get some sleep. So $100 in most locations along an interstate is a reasonable budget. I'll gladly pay for the convenience and perceived cleanliness. Her attitude is she can survive a $50 no name hotel for a night.

This year, we stop and pop, marriage bliss.

I hope the surgery goes well. Enjoy the camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

19. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

I was visiting my Dad in the hospital a few weeks ago and someone had a travel trailer fully set up in the dirt lot across the street! Things come up in life with health issues, and we're not always prepared. I thought that must be a frugal soul ;)

20. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

On 5/13 Barb had her surgery. Everything went well. I haven't been at the CG much as I spend most of the day here at the hospital. The CG is about a 10 minute drive from the hospital which makes going back and forth easy.

I'm glad we decided on staying at the CG. I would recommend it to anyone who has someone who'll be in the hospital for an extended period of time. The PUP seems like an even more comforting place after spending the day at the hospital.