Camping for Thanksgiving what should we cook???

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by popuppartyof5, Nov 13, 2014.

1. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

We have reservations for Medoc Mountain for Thanksgiving and will have electricity. I am planning on bringing 2 crock pots and our dutch oven. We are going to smoke a turkey breast too. I am trying to figure out what sides to make. Mashed potatoes are a must along with green bean casserole and stuffing. Has anyone had any luck cooking green bean casserole in a crockpot or stuffing? I have found a few recipes online but wanted to see if anyone had any great proven recipes they could share. Thanks! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

3. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I'm jealous! I have not cooked T-Giving dinner camping before but as far as stuffing goes how about doctored up Stove Top? Just the mix, butter and water but you could add some nice veggies (celery, onion, etc) to make it a bit nicer. That would be super easy.

4. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

^ ^ x2 ^ ^

I like the convenience of Stove Top...it is very easy to "doctor it up".

I'm wondering how "mushy" stuffing would become in a crock pot, though.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I've made stuffing in an electric roaster, it wasn't mushy. I think I've done it in a crock pot too, but don't remember for sure. We used well-dried breads (almost toasted, in the oven), usually a combination of homemade cornbread and either an herb bread we've made or one from a local bakery.
    DH and I took a Thanksgiving camping trip in the pup a few years ago. Since it was just the two of us, we did the turkey and dressing ahead of time, and froze them in meal-sized portions. The turkey was put into vacuum bags, and we did boil-in-the-bag to reheat that. The dressing we put into small loaf pans and steamed them in an electric fry pan, since we had power on that trip. We cheated for the gravy, since Trader Joe's has a good one in a small carton.

6. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Don't know if this helps, but when I cook a turkey, whether in a roaster in the oven, or in the electric roaster, I wrap the stuffing in 2 large pieces of wide heavy duty aluminum foil, and put it in the roaster pan. I cook my poultry the way I was taught by my dear grandmother. I put about 3 inches of water in the bottom of the pan. This keeps the stuffing very moist, and the remaining water in the bottom of the pan is used for the gravy.

7. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

Just wanted to update everyone on our thanksgiving meal. It was a huge success!!! We took 2 large turkey breasts and wrapped them in bacon and cooked them in our dutch oven. I pre cooked sausage, onion and apples for my stuffing and combined it at the campsite with a bag of breadcrumbs and some turkey broth in a crockpot. I also cooked green bean casserole in another crockpot. The best part was I bought crockpot liners and that saved me lots of scrubbing time after the meal [:D] We had cranberry sauce and potatoes too. The next day I made turkey melts in the crokpot too by taking a loaf of presliced italian bread and putting slices of cheddar cheese and turkey in between the slices and wrapping the whole loaf in tin foil and letting in warm in the crockpot for a few hrs. We got back from a hike and had nice hot sandwiches which we added some leftover cranberry sauce to. Another yummy thing we tried this weekend was overnight steel cut oats in the crockpot. Made the camper smell great and it was nice to wake up to breakfast all ready for you on a cold 29 degree morning.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

[:)O]

9. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Sounds great! I have done the overnite oats at home, they are good!

10. bfahs

bfahs Member

Sounds good. Missed this post pre-thanksgiving. We camped for thanksgiving last year. In Indiana. 19 deg when we got up in the am. Maybe 30 when we ate dinner.

We did turkey breast in dutch oven. Cranberry sauce, stovetop stuffing, and mashed potatoes. Was fun. Suspect we will do again some year.

11. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

This is absolutely something I want to do. Maybe next year. There is one place in Ma that I know of that is open til Dec 1.