Camping getting popular among Millennials

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by silvermickey2002, Jun 11, 2019.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/camping-popular-millennials-and-generation-x

2. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

That's not a great way of phrasing it. Millenials are up to 35yo and genxers are up to 54yo. So... 77% of new campers aren't seniors? That's not weird to me. The increase in first-time campers in general is more interesting.

For what it's worth, I'm a millenial and I camped with my baby boomer parents growing up, who camped with their parents, whose grandparents were covered wagon pioneers (the original pup!).

If they're seeing an increase, I think it's to do with internet more than anything. Camping for the uninitiated can be researched more ahead of time so it doesn't seem as overwhelming if you have no idea what you're doing. Plus you see lots of pretty pictures of your friends going pretty places and it motivates you to want to go to pretty places too.

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I love when this report comes out. The RVIA’s annual report is really interesting too.

Here’s the graphic from the report pertaining to age groups of campers. So Millenials are by far the largest group of new campers.

32F68DA8-7970-4695-A1BA-53FC7C2C696C.jpeg

4. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

Makes sense. They are starting to have families

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just a fluff piece. Must have been a slow news day.

And 85% of all statistics are fake 57% of the time. [LOL][LOL][LOL]

6. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

At the old end of Gen X, and grew up camping - that's my in :) I agree the internet (such as this forum) and YouTube make it more accessible to those with no camping experience. And camping research is amazing. So much information.

You can learn about different equipment and camp styles and get an idea what might be fun to try. Once your out camping, your experiences will guide your future camping choices and fun :)

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Gee new campers are millenials...

Let's see, before becoming an independent adult, you camp with your family. Then, when you go out on your own, you start camping with friends. You buy your own gear and start making campground reservations in your own name. Makes sense that they are "new" campers...

This is one of those statistics that means nothing because the data is inherently biased.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Haha I can't stand these "an entire generation is now doing <whatever>" pieces. And in this case, it's TWO generations?

Wow, so people under 55 sometimes camp now? Go figure! LOL.

PointyCamper likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dont label me! Millinals , gen x , whatever , Dont we have better things to do? All i see from that graph is not a lot of mature people! Every web sight and artical has diffrent birth years for the same groups, its impossable to know how that poll was taken. And for that matter, who identifies with what. Especially in this day and age you get to pick and choose how and if you identify with anything. Hell, i dont even know what group im in. And i dont care.........

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

To quote Twain, “lies, damn lies, and statistics...”

silvermickey2002 and Fixitup like this.
  11. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

BS. We raised our boys camping. My oldest 18 now, decided he no longer enjoyed it as much at 16. I can understand that. 16....drivers license......car....little more independence. I was the same way.

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

And had to run 2 different generations off my place Memorial Day weekend. They couldn't see the posted signs and purple paint.. No respect!

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Camping is cheaper and easier. You can go to Walmart and buy a tent that sets itself up for less than $50.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

At the risk of hijacking the thread, my 3 year old saw some covered wagons at a local park and called out "Camper!". Lol

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I saw the article and was a little surprised. Most of my nieces and nephews are millennial's and within the last few years they are starting to get into camping. Could be that that they are starting families now and camping is much cheaper then the vacations they used to go on all the time when they were single!!!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

If you look at the chart, they are missing an entire generation: the Gen Yers. They are between the Gen X and millennials. I guess none of them camp at all....

That right there says something is stinking up the place....

neighbormike likes this.
  17. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Gen Y is Millenials. We are just special enough to get two names to go along with all of our participation trophies [8D]

From the article in the OP:

“The Pew Research Center defines Gen X as anyone between the ages of 39 and 54 (born between 1965 and 1980) and millennial as anyone between the ages of 38 and 23 (born between 1981 and 1996).”

18. Toedtoes

That used to be different. Gen Xers were up to 1975. Then Gen Yers. And millennials were from the 90s on. Guess this is more proof it means nothing - they can't even agree on the definitions.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

But how many will continue to camp...emerging from Mom's basement into a whole new world can be a daunting task, & no doubt many will try camping, some will like it, others not so much...bottom line for me is there are 2 kinds of "polls"; tent poles & the shiny kind you find on a stage in a club...being a "boomer", my recollections of the stage poles are faded [%]

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The Gen Y term seemed to go away once someone realized the term "millennial" was so cute and catchy.

I was born in 1970. Although there are major differences between my generation and someone born in 1995, I think there are relatively few between mine and someone born in 1980. Basically, did you come of age in the internet era or not, which made a HUGE cultural difference.