Camping getting popular among Millennials

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by silvermickey2002, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Yeah,

I was born in 1965. I have far more in common "experience" and "impact" wise with my sibling born in 1962 than my sibling born in 1968 - even though the latter is in the same "generation" and the older one isn't.

I also found that who I hung out with in school had more to do with their parents' age than their own age. Some of my age were born to baby boomers and others the prior generation. I tended to have more in common with those born of the older generation like me, even if they were a year or two older or younger. The ones born to baby boomers tended to have different interests and behaviors.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I am a baby boomer (1964) and being brought up without electronics (mainly just a TV and stereo) I was outside most of the time. The social media experience was playing ball, playground and playing war in the woods! We rode our bikes everywhere. When the 5:00 PM fire whistle blew you headed home for dinner. After dinner we would meet again do some bike riding and then around dusk we all headed home and agreed to meet again the next morning at 8:00 to do it all over again!!!! Once I got my drivers license we meet at someones house and hung out or meet at the local diner and had dinner together then went to see a movie (that was a whole $2 unless you went to the Wednesday evening show which was $1). By this point we all had jobs and girlfriends.

Nowadays, God forbid the kid (12 years old) did not have a smart phone, they would be an outcast!!! They have an issue socializing and dealing with people face to face.

But I do have to say that all my nieces and nephews (including their spouses) don't have issues socializing with people face to face. They were taught to put the phones away at the kitchen table and talk.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  3. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

Yes yes, I'm sure you walked to school up hill both ways in the snow too.

And I've never met a weird person from your generation. They are all perfectly socialized from the feral roamings of their childhood.

Every generation has its troubles. Every generation has its challenges. Looking down on a complete generation for something beyond their control is just as bad as judging any large group. You'll always be wrong as often as you're right.

The article was pointing out that younger people, a laughably large statistic group, are becoming more interested in camping than previous generations. Isn't that a good thing?

23steps and Toedtoes like this.
  4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Wow, jaded much? You totally took that as a slap against you personally and your generation?

He merely pointed out that things are different for kids now than in the 60s//70s/80s.

5. Toedtoes

I don't think the generations are any different. When I was a kid, I spent hours on the phone, watching tv, listening to records. Now they watch videos, play video games, and text.

I think the difference now is that kids don't run around loose all day. Instead of riding bikes all over town all day, they stay close to their parents.

And that is mostly because of the instant news. In the past, news of kids going missing, being killed, etc., were less "in your face" because they tended to remain local and you didn't hear about it until the 6 o'clock news. Now, they are broadcasted nationally and they are instantaneous.

In addition, nowadays, if a kid goes missing while out riding his/her bike, the parents will be villified for letting their kid run loose. In the past, that villification didn't happen to that extent.

Minimalist likes this.
  6. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

Which isn't relevant to the article. This thread is about camping statistics related to age. He read the word "millenial" and predictibly started waxing lyrical on free range parenting and the dangers of cell phones. As one, I've seen this happen in every conversation that dares mention the word "millenial" despite the context. It's condescending and yeah, I probably am a little jaded.

Forgive me. I'm usually more polite online. I think my point is valid but I could have said it less sarcastically. I've got a lot of stressors (moving states, company staying with us, and a daughter with severe health issues) atm and am not being myself. I'll bow out now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    23steps and bayport like this.
  7. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much right now. I do hope things get better for you. Stay strong.

Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Yeah... young people being the largest group of first time campers - doesn't seem like a stretch to me.... aren't young people more apt to be having more "firsts" in general??

Toedtoes, HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I appreciate your apology. Hope your life becomes less stressful soon.

10. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

For me, 1971, and wife in 1980, so not a whole lot of difference, and that's even throwing in that she's a foreigner.

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Absolutely!! When we go camping it is nice to see the younger generations getting out there and enjoying camping or trying it for the first time. But I have to say when we go camping on our cross country trips we do see more older generations than the younger generations. That might be because we are in the RV sections not the tenting areas. In the National Parks we do see both younger and older generations, that's because the RV and Tent sites are mixed together. We just came back from camping in Cape May, NJ for a long weekend with friends who by the way are 9-10 years younger than we are (they are our best friends). We were in the RV section of the CG, the tenting area was in a whole different section. I have to say most of the families we saw in the tenting area were in their 20s-30s and had their own families.

I was pointing out that from my generation to now there are many differences. We didn't have our son till we were in our early 30's! But my wife grew up camping as a kid, I didn't, my dad did not want to camp. He said he did enough camping during the Korean war!.

Now, when we camp we try to socialize with other folks and spoke with many younger (20-30 yo) parents and they said they got into camping because they can go to places they want without spending a fortune! We can't blame them for that. Hotel prices are insane!!!! Hmmm, that's why we camp! Some of the families we spoke too are camping in tents because they are trying it out before they spend the money on a camper.

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I know the past few years we are really seeing a lot of solo camping even among the solo ladies...

I know I see them struggling with something and always go over to offer a helping hand if they want it... A lot of the times I get a big Thanks but no thanks haha... These are folks in their 50s and 60s I guess...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I agree, a kid from the 70's with a Party Land Line :)

And we rode bikes all over too, joining other kids for fun and adventures.

My daughter, soon to be twelve, has a phone. It was a nice convenience for her to contact us when dance class was done or school activities finished up. My wife and I monitor the communications, and there are parameters for phone use. The phone's a tool, she's learning to use.

In a weird way it reminds me of the 70's as a kid. Instead of hopping on a bike to ride over to a cousins house, to see what's up - my daughter texts, then the kids coordinate and meet for fun and adventure.

We live in the age of Star Trek Tricorders, still full of adventures :)

14. Toedtoes

I don't think the generations are as different as we think they are. I think when you look at a young generation, you tend to focus on the differences and changes. But if you watch them for any amount of time, you will start to see how much alike they really are.

When we talk about "God forbid the 12 year old doesn't have a smart phone", we ignore that it's the same for every generation now. How many 30-60 year olds don't have a smart phone? And how are they looked at because of it? How many grandparents are hooked on FB? Twitter? Pinterest? etc.

These aren't generational differences. These are societal differences. Our society has changed and every generation alive has changed with it. Same as when telephones, televisions, radio, records, cds, cars, etc., all came along. If we had texting when we were young, we would have jumped on it.

15. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Folks have been claiming the young generation today is a bunch of lazy ^%#?!^! for the past 100,000 years. Now its true? [?:~{]

16. Toedtoes

Exactly. They haven't changed - they do the same things they always did within context of society.

Remember the movies about hoodlem teens in the fifties? They were bad!!!

Remember the twenty kids piling out of a huge car into the diner and taking it over? That doesn't happen anymore because "the old folks" decided that 16 year olds should have conditional licenses that bar them from having other teens in the car.

brwarrior likes this.
  17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Things are worse now days in many areas, it isn't just because of better reporting or social media. I live in roughly the same area that I grew up in. When I was young there was one drunk guy in the neighborhood and no homeless people. I think because of less low skill jobs and mental health services that more social outcasts are roaming the streets. Also when I was young there was very little heroin use in my area.

Rik Peery likes this.
  18. Toedtoes

Homeless doesn't equate to "bad". Heroin is on the rise at the moment, but it was high (no pun intended) in the 60s too. In the 70s and 80s, coke was on the drug du jour.

When I was a kid, my mom told me about incidents that took place in our town as well as around the state and country. The chief of police molesting girls was one. My Mom was always upfront with us about dangers. We knew about Larry Singleton, Ted Bundy, the kidnapping and captivity of Colleen Stan, etc. My friends were not told about these things. They would happily hitchhike, go off with unknown guys, etc. Having been told of what was going on then, I can say it's not much different now.

19. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

That's hilarious- My Dad said the exact same thing!

20. penny

penny Well-Known Member

interesting thread. All I know is it's getting harder and harder to find a place that isn't crowded. I suppose that says something good, and I'm happy to see young families in the outdoors. But I'm not fond of crowds when camping....

edit to add my big pet peeve is moms shopping, kid in cart virtually ignored while mom talks and/or texts. my heart melts when I see a little child trying to talk to it's mother, and getting a glare instead of interaction. sometimes I see the same mom, isle after isle, packing away, child ignored. grocery shopping is a major educational opportunity for kids!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.