Camping Greed??

Popeye1959

Apr 28, 2016
NE Illinois
What boat? My old friend was skipper of the Annapolis. Went and commanded a repair yard in Washington before he retired.

Thanks for what you did. My work as a contractor pales beside those in service.
I was east coast and served on 4 ships.
USS Canisteo (AO-99) Fleet Oiler - 7.5 million gallons of fuel to transfer at sea to other ships
USS Scout (MCM-8) New generation of mine sweepers
USS Devastator (MCM-6)
USS Blackhawk (MHC-58) Coastal Mine Hunter. similar job as the minesweepers but used a ROV submersible to neutralize mines, whereas the MCM's also used the ROV in addition to the active sweep gear. Which means to neutralize a mine, we had to drive right over it first...

David Lewis

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 29, 2021
Lake Wylie SC
Well not to barge in, bit, many years ago my neighbor was on the commissioning crew of the USS Avenger. Traded tiger cruises with him on my boat the USS Lewis &Clark SSBN 644.
What a great time until he explained,as you did, that the mine had to be up close and personal to neutralize.
David

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Up close and personal, indeed.
My job as a contractor was upfitting some electrical systems on your ships after they got blown up. I did work on the Stark ---- boggled my mind how that thing was still floating.
Y'all are some tough sons of guns. And your boats are tougher.

David Lewis

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 29, 2021
Lake Wylie SC
As a contractor myself, we did the Baseband modification and assisted in the Photonics mast install on the Annapolis,assuming you’re talking about the fast attack.

Zephyr

Jun 18, 2013
central Oregon
I had never heard of the FIP reference and just about snorted my beverage. I grew up in southern Illinois. That was back in the time when the state travel people had a television commercial that said, "Outside of Chicago, there's a place called Illinois." My relatives would respond that they wished Chicago really was outside of the state.

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri
I had never heard of the FIP reference and just about snorted my beverage. I grew up in southern Illinois. That was back in the time when the state travel people had a television commercial that said, "Outside of Chicago, there's a place called Illinois." My relatives would respond that they wished Chicago really was outside of the state.
I grew up in southern Illinois as well. Dad always said there were two states… Chicago and the rest of it.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
So, as it’s been discussed in other threads, the cost of goods and services is going nuts right now…. My buddy shared the following (assuming Facebook) post with me…. Talk about enough to hairlip the Pope??
View attachment 81508
Reminds me of hunting...Remember back in the day you could knock on doors and get permission?
Now fat cats lease land from farmers so u cant get acess....Its turning into a rich mans game.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
It’s camping to all the folks that go there… that’s good enough for me.
Where i camp most....There are 230 sites...Most are all big rigs....Rarely do you see more than 4 or 5 pop ups.
No shame in my game....I roll up and have just as much fun as the big riggers.
I saw somewhere some campgrounds have restrictions on how old your camper can be.
Thats crap as far as i am concerned.

Zephyr

Jun 18, 2013
central Oregon
Where i camp most....There are 230 sites...Most are all big rigs....Rarely do you see more than 4 or 5 pop ups.
No shame in my game....I roll up and have just as much fun as the big riggers.
I saw somewhere some campgrounds have restrictions on how old your camper can be.
Thats crap as far as i am concerned.
There's an RV site on the Oregon coast that requires the RVs to be less than 10 years old, in like-new condition, and at least 29 ft in length. And they only allow class A. You can purchase a site starting at $250,000 or rent a site starting at $125 per night. I assume the ocean-view sites are more expensive.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
I was east coast and served on 4 ships.
USS Canisteo (AO-99) Fleet Oiler - 7.5 million gallons of fuel to transfer at sea to other ships
USS Scout (MCM-8) New generation of mine sweepers
USS Devastator (MCM-6)
USS Blackhawk (MHC-58) Coastal Mine Hunter. similar job as the minesweepers but used a ROV submersible to neutralize mines, whereas the MCM's also used the ROV in addition to the active sweep gear. Which means to neutralize a mine, we had to drive right over it first...
WESTPAC Airedale checking in here. Thanks for your service, Shipmate.