CAMPING HACKS... that you might enjoy

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jul 20, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jack Sprat, Bobcat08, Sjm9911 and 2 others like this.
  2. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

landon6062 likes this.
  3. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Since you opened this can of beans Donna perhaps we can all pile in here with this love fest.

1. Take cotton balls and roll in petroleum jelly for a fire starter.

2. Ditch the egg carton and dump your eggs in a nalgene water bottle which is water tight and fits better in the cooler.

3. Used to bring charcoal for DO but now use the coals from the fire.

4. For easy cleanup of pots and pans and DO, dump in some warm water and grab a handful of dirt and vegetation (like leaves) and scrub with nature's abrasive. (boondocking only).

KamperKel, Rik Peery and landon6062 like this.
  4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Dan...i love to share and have others share their good ideas and helps..makes the world a better place... thanks for sharing yours : ) I mostly liked the pool noodles on the awning and the spice container ..lol.. i like your idea about the eggs. Im not far enough along in camping to go " boondocking" It is a bear thing. Lol

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Since the thread was started... 1) recycle that drier lint, old candles, and toilet paper rolls and make fire starters. Perfect off season activity kiddo likes to help as well.
    2) If you have stainless steel pots and struggling to keep them from turning black when cooking over the fire. Wipe dish detergent on the bottom and sides before you cook over the fire.

6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Umm sounds good jmkay..very interesting on the dish detergent...ive never heard of that...thanks

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Squeezed for space, try the squeezable soft pack Duke's mayo...love Duke's mayo...

landon6062 likes this.
  8. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

This trick is something we used in Girlscouts years ago :)

cyndib and landon6062 like this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Yep, learned it real quick too if you got stuck washing the black off of pans. [XX(]

landon6062 likes this.
  10. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

When I stake my awning I put thestakes straight down next to the legs and wrap the cord around the stake and legs. .no tripping hazard. Check local regulations before putting a belt or anything on a tree. Some places don't allow it
    If you are in an area with pine trees. Look on the tree where any branches broke off and healed up with lots of sap I cut these off and save them for fire starter

landon6062, Rik Peery and KamperKel like this.
  11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I prefer to keep eggs shelled just for the extra preserving benefit of the shells--bacteria can multiply rapidly in raw shelled eggs and I don't have as much faith in my fridge as I'd like. I have on occasion bought the pasteurized eggs in a carton though. They make for a terrible sunny-side-up...

Rik Peery likes this.
  12. Mo8414

Mo8414 New Member

Maybe not a camping hack but a way to find good camping spots. I go on the state DNR site and look at their state owned land map and then use google satalite to try to find nice openings in the woods that could be a potential camping spot.

When i go camping, i go find all the spots i found on the satalite map and see if it is really a good spot or not.

I plan to do this on my trip to the UP in michigan. I have a camp site at a camper park but i got some spots to check out so next time i can camp for free on state land.

I found one of my favorite camp sites doing this, had two areas to check out. The first was a dud but the second one was great
    Second spot is the picture
    20180531_141039.jpg

13. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

I use pool noodles on my awning cords too. (I really hate catching my toe on that cord/spike!) I used a razor blade to cut a lengthwise slit in the noodle and it just slips over the cord. No feeding the end of the rope through the noodle.

14. generok

generok Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Best fire starter ever! Wet kindling? No tinder? NO PROBLEM. Use the propane on the stove after you get the fire ripping.

15. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

P
    Are you towing a tiny home? Curious about what that is in background?

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Why can't you put a belt around a tree?

17. Bowman3d

They don’t want anything attached to the trees. It Varys from place to place.

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ah, ok they discourage it so others will not leave ropes and such tied around them, got it.

19. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

Instead of a belt around a tree, I use a couple bungee cords and hang our trash/recycling bags from them (not in bear-country). Keeps them in a convenient spot off the ground, and makes it harder for critters to get at them. Then we can also slip the hot-dog/marshmallow poker handles under the cords to keep them out of the way to prevent accidental pokes and burns when not in use. Works great for any other light items you want to keep off the ground or in a convenient spot: flashlight, roll of TP, fishing poles, etc. Just quickly tuck it under the cord.

hayyward likes this.
  20. Bowman3d

When I am in an area that I can use the trees I have a ratchet cargo strap that I can adjust to the tree with a bunch of s hooks to hang stuff from