Camping has changed.....

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dan Wilson, Aug 3, 2019.

1. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Back on the subject, have you noticed how many state parks and campgrounds have noise limits/quiet hour policies posted online, taped to the wall in their office and strictly enforced? Like them or not, they exist everywhere and people get kicked out for that stuff. I had a ranger stop by once to say “no more music” at 9pm because she barely heard it walking down the road. Some of these places don’t even let you set up your camper after dark, which I would have appreciated the night our neighbor pulled in at 10pm, set up his PUP and hammered stakes into the ground at 11pm, waking up our whole family. This is why we can’t have nice things.

I think camping changed because people changed. It used to be a night mostly of crackling fires and quiet conversations. A few people disrespected others, abused the freedom, got drunk around the fire and blasted their music until midnight a few too many times. Enough complaints lead to where we are now - policies to keep groups of 20-somethings camping with friends or 50-somethings whose kids are grown up from ruining it for the senior citizens and parents of young kids (like me) who hit the hay at 9pm, because regardless of what time my kids go to bed, they inevitably wake up at 6am. Quite honestly, I appreciate these policies and enforcement. If I had to choose, I’d take this way versus a free for all, hoping everyone is considerate of others. I don’t think people would appreciate me getting drunk around a campfire and blasting my music at 6am. We respect others and honor early quiet hours so they can sleep in and enjoy their morning coffee.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    1380ken and Dan Wilson like this.
  2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I too like the policies, especially the one at our favorite place that banned generators a few years ago; some of 'em sounded like a runaway .50 cal & sound travels like a muther at night... throw in a herd of crap faced folks screaming how they got a dent in their truck/their woman left 'em high & dry 5 yrs ago etc & it for dang sure made for a long night...the newer gens are nice & can barely be heard, but they had to ban 'em all for the sake of the early models...it is what it is lol, makes for some memories later on...

3. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Slightly back off topic, but we always sleep 6 in our popup. We have a large capacity popup that does have beds for 9 (as long as 2 are short kids on the table). Here's what we do with luggage at night. Some of it goes on the pull out couch that does sleep 1 adult comfortably. Some goes on the table, that would otherwise sleep 2 short kids. Pretty messy when you wake up in the morning, but better than putting it in the car. In the morning we require everyone to make their bed/sleeping bag and put the luggage back on top of their sleeping bag.

[​IMG]

The porta-pottie is next to the pull-out couch. Everyone else is totally asleep whenever it is being used so there is no issue with privacy.

Rik Peery and rjhammetter like this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Pup capacity is similar to tent capacity (Our TT is the same, fitting 3 people in ours would be interesting, but doable, at least we have storage space under the bed.) We never did figure out where we'd put a third person in our 3-man tents, even with nothing but sleeping bags in there. Tent ratings are assuming sleeping space only, and sometimes you can find the diagram for the sleeping plan to wedge the rated number of people in there. I think some of the pup ratings seem to be the same.
    For years, we used mostly 6-man tents for the two of us, with a 4-man tent as back-up. When we got the first pup, which was a 6' box, with one bunk, we realized it had less (handy) space for our clothing duffels. We ended up transferring them from bed to dinette and back again. I did take one trip when we converted the dinette to the bed - the then-11 year old just barely fit, we stashed a couple of things in the space under that bed, and her mom kept her duffels on the bunk. (I used a tent.) It was a relief when we moved to the Coleman Cobalt, where we could use the second bunk for storage. I think the Cobalt was rated for sleeping 4, we never put it to the test.

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We gereally camp where there is no host or law enforcement, little or no cell service either. This would be at NFS campgrounds. Seems last summer we had some noisy campers up late and yelling out stories, since they had much to drink but i must admit, that doesn't happen all that often. Most of the noise complaints is from discount generators but that doesn't happens all that often either.

Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  6. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

We can sleep all 6 of our family in our pup, but we have a large pup and the kids (4 girls) are still younger. However, I believe we will be able to fit all of us for years to come, and that was our intention with this camper. And if one of the kids doesn't like it, they can put up a tent and sleep there.

We camp for many reasons. Sometimes we camp to enjoy the place. Sometimes we camp on our way to other locations. And sometimes we camp as cheap housing for a vacation. Depending on our reasons, our kids may have access to screens, we probably won't have a camp fire (we prefer to do those at home, not when traveling), and we will probably go to bed early. I say don't judge others. Let them camp their way for their own reasons so long as they aren't disturbing others.

shuang2 and HappyTraveler like this.
  7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

What on earth are the 50 somethings doing that's so loud? Our CPAPS aren't that noisy!

Sadly, I know the types you are talking about, and while it seems to be certain folks that once their kids fly the nest, they start acting like college kids again... I won't camp with people like that. Too much drama and B.S. to deal with.

In my mid 30s, before my wife and I met, I was involved with a singles camping group that was full of divorced folks, late singles, and single parents. There were a few of those folks that if they were listed as going on the trip, I wouldn't go not because of personal conflict, but because they were known to be loud, and inconsiderate of quiet hours, up to and including getting themselves kicked out of one of the campgrounds the group was at.

As far as sleeping capacities go, generally speaking for actually sleeping, Pop ups are better than TTs because the bunk ends tend toward from what I have seen anyway, real bed sizes, instead of the dumb RV short sizes. HOWEVER, having said that, like most TTs the convertible booth can technically sleep 2, 2 year olds...

rjhammetter likes this.
  8. mgbbob

mgbbob New Member

Thanks, Great review. 68 years old and still thinking of going with a pop up. You helped.

CampingFamily1 likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it isn't just these types involved. There are the young families whose kids are running/biking around the campground late at night screaming, the older couples who turn on their outdoor entertainment center full blast because they can't hear anymore, and so on...

And those not liking it include 30-somethings without kids, folks who fish and hike, folks who prefer the sounds of nature, etc.

If we could single out one or two groups who are loud, then they could be banned. But it's anyone and everyone at any time.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts on this statement: I've never heard kids "screaming" while riding bikes- about the only "screaming" I've heard at a campground is a toddler melting down somewhere, usually with parents trying to get them put down for bed. Sometimes kids call out to each other while riding bikes, but that's not "screaming"

My second thought reis regarding "late at night". From this thread, I imagine some of you here consider 8:30 or 9pm "late at night". Quiet hours start at 10pm typically, and I wouldn't call it "late at night" until at least 11, but then I'm a night owl and the talk here of some of you being up at 3 or 4AM by choice is about as alien to me as if you said you have your pups brought to the campground by UFO.

Bottom line - everyone just needs to be considerate. I've been woken up to people chopping firewood or some other needless activity at 6AM more times than I can count. I've never understood the need to chop firewood at a campground at any hour... you're not wilderness camping, just throw the stupid pre-cut logs in the fire pit.

crackerJack, Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

True enough. And I have had the experience you are talking about with folks woodcutting, or kids getting up and yelling out to each other within quiet hours. It doesn't seem unreasonable for quiet hours, typically set from 10:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M. to be observed.

Of course it all depends on the event as well... There is no such thing as quiet hours when you are camping at say a Renaissance Faire, or a music festival. If you actually want to sleep, bring and use earplugs...

The 9 PM stuff doesn't bug me, and honestly, someone coming in to camp at 11 PM and trying to set up in the dark doesn't phase me. I may even if I am not already trying to settle in for the night, offer to help them get the job done just so everyone can get to sleep sooner...

And this all brings up the whole thing. that while I think in many ways camping has changed, I also think it has stayed very much the same. Except for the fact that there are more and more campers, and fewer and fewer places to camp... Things get crowded sometimes, and that eliminates the point. I go camping to get away from the crowds, not be in the middle of them.

12. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I've had some loud neighbors over the years. The worst one recently was this past trip where they were up cleaning up and having a good time until about midnight. The noise didn't bother me so much as whatever the heck they had going on in the crock was just nasty and completely choked us out! :)

13. Toedtoes

Some kids DO scream. In particular young girls. A high pitched scream that cuts through your head. And yes, I have heard them going until midnight.

As for "late at night", I grew up with the rule that you never call after 9 pm or before 9 am because people might be sleeping. My mom was a night owl and my dad was a morning person so I learned to be considerate to both sides. The noise issue in a campground goes both ways.

However, the comments in my post weren't a personal complaint about this, but rather a comment that it is not one group in particular that is ill-behaved. During the same trip, I had a group of 20-something guys having a bachelor camping trip AND a family group spending a day at the lake. The bachelor party was by far the better neighbors! They never intruded or got loud or ignored campground policies. The family group had the rangers called out on them for their behavior.

You can't assume who will be the problem.

14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I think sleeping numbers can depend on families and how they operate. We have slept 9 (2 parents and 7 kids) and a dog in our pup. It was not that big of a deal, but kids were smaller then and that was on a 10 day trip. We were just out 19 days with 6 and two dogs and everyone is pretty much full grown. No issues. We also have everyone's clothes in the camper and of course all of the food and other stuff except the cooler. There is enough space and when not sleeping we set up the couch and sitting area. Fact is, we are rarely in the camper except to sleep and a couple of times where it rained for a bit. Any normal 12' box can sleep 7 without too much of an issue if you want, 2, 2, 2, and 1. In our family, when you wake up, you grab your clothes, walk to the bathroom and go and change into your clothes for the day. Normally adults are up first because they simply don't sleep as much as the teens, so we cook breakfast, and get stuff ready for the day.

Of course, we have been doing this kind of thing for 10 years, so it really isn't a big deal for the family as we have our system down. One duffle per person for all your clothes and maybe a smaller bag for the car for other activities. Sometimes we have another tent and some folks sleep outside in it. This past trip, no one used the tent at all. In the case where we had all nine of us and the dog, we set up our 4 season screen room with some chairs and the picnic table in it as a place to chill. We also almost always set up the awning so that there is a sheltered place outside. Our 12 UDST is very similar to the 1207, it is a big camper with lots of room. Maybe some of it has to do with having a place for things and being organized, I don't know, but you can fits quite a few folks in the larger pups.

Tulip, Rik Peery and BillyMc like this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Trying to understand why people don't have room for clothing for 6 people.
    Are PUPs smaller than ours?
    Is the lay of vastly different than ours?
    Are they packing huge amounts of stuff?
    There are usually 5-6 of us and we bring the clothes we are wearing plus 3 changes and swim suits during swimming season. We have a three level shelf on the end of the counter similar to this one. It holds everyone's clothes and personal toiletries. Depending on length of trip we may wash clothes one or more times.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For trips of a week or so, we tend not to do laundry. Where we camp, we may encounter temps from freezing to close to 100 on one trip, and we also have hiking clothing as well as camp clothing, and town clothing if we'll need it. Depends on the type of trip. In our little 6' pup, which only had one bunk, space was at a premium. We used the Thule roof top cargo box as our attic, so often warm/bulky clothing was stashed there unless we were going to need it, as well as filled laundry bags. We have two trips coming up, since our schedule got changed around a bit this year. 9 nights in Colorado, 45 minutes from the nearest town in early Sept. We need to be prepared for monsoon rains (i.e. replacement clothing if one or both of us gets soaked), warm weather, as well as the possibility of of frost or early snow. My husband will be backpacking for a couple of nights too. Then, 16 nights in early October, North Rim of Grand Canyon (again, prepared for rain or early snow), then Lake Powell and southern Utah for a couple of days, and on to South Rim of Grand Canyon. Last year we got soaked as soon as we arrived there at the same time of year - lesson learned - take extra sneakers even for a long weekend, I had to wear damp ones the rest of the time. (that was also how we discovered our rain wear was no longer waterproof). We plan to do laundry in the break between Rims, since my husband only has so much nylon hiking clothing. There are laundries at each Rim, but they tend to be busy.
    I still miss that attic space in the roof top carrier; it won't fit on our truck. Truck bed is pretty full on such trips, between backpacking gear, bike gear (North Rim), cooler, and site supplies. At least the 17' TT has pretty good storage for clothing - our big issue is dealing with wet clothing. (I also miss the drying space under the rear bunk on the Cobalt.)

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Look , quiet hours are usally like 7 am to 10 pm . I give it an hour or so leaway. If you have special needs that make it imperative to sleep in later or go to bed earlier, thats on you. I do my best to keep my daughter quiet when she wakes at 6 am, and i try to get her into bed around 9. I dont chop wood except in the normal designated wood chopping hours, and yes if you atually start fires without lighter fluid , etc , you need to chop it into smaller peices first. Kids yelling and having fun at 9 pm isnt a bother to me , thats atually kids having fun camping. I feel for the person getting set up at 11 pm , yea it might wake me, but tbh, do you really think they wanted to roll in at that time? Eaither traffic, or a breakdown made that possable. If you follow the quasi rules and give it some alowances, i really never ran into any problums. If there were people that were up at till 3 am blasting music , etc, then i have a problem and i will make sure that its corrected. But the complaints im hearing are really bot that bad. Its not perfect, but its still camping. When i let the small stuff bother me so much thay its not enjoyable anymore, I'll stop camping and stay at home and start yelling at the kids in my neighborhood to stay off my lawn. :cool:

18. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Here's one of the best things there is for noisy or inconsiderate neighbors at night. We make sure our camper is well stocked.

[​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

On our maiden voyage, we spent the most time in a private campground in MN. We arrived there on a Wednesday afternoon and it was pretty empty. On Friday the parade of campers began about 2 in the afternoon. Started getting a little concerned when we began seeing people driving around in their golf carts and walking around with drinks and bottles in hand.
    Then when our immediate neighbors pulled in and the wife is throwing out one can of beer and grabbing two more from the outside kitchen hatch on the camper, telling us it's been a rough week. Then helping her husband back the camper into place a mere 10 feet from our bunk end, I really began to get a little worried. Once the camper was parked, they began setting up their site. The first thing was the folding table and setting up a complete bar set up with hard liquor. I'm thinking this is really not looking good.
    I went to bed and hoped for the best. We had the a/c on and I did hear our neighbors talking and laughing quietly, but fell asleep and never heard anything.
    Between the white noise of the a/c and the other campers, and the place was packed! being quite friendly and respectful of noise levels, it turned out to be quite a nice weekend.
    The parade of campers leaving began midafternoon on Sunday and most were gone by that evening.
    The only incident all weekend was at the site right across the road from us. They had been drinking all day and on Sunday night had quite the fight, both inside their TT and outside. Eventually, things quieted down and they left like nothing had happened on Monday morning.
    What we learned after all of this, was that most of the people camping there lived in that town. Literally, they lived not 5 minutes from this campground and the place was party central on the weekends.
    To each their own.

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. Toedtoes

Sjm - just to clarify, I don't have a problem with kids when camping (or any of the other issues mentioned here). I was just pointing out that everyone can be a negative impact on their camping neighbors.

Your comments show that it is the CONSIDERATION that matters not the demographics. Anyone can be considerate of their neighbors and anyone can be inconsiderate.

tfischer and Sjm9911 like this.