Camping....how many times per year

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by cwolfman13, Apr 11, 2011.

How many camping trips do you take in a year? (driveway doesn't count)

1. Not often enough, once or twice a year if I'm lucky.

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. 3 - 5 trips per year

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. 5 - 10 trips per year

25 vote(s)
    41.0%
  4. 10 - 15 trips per year, give or take.

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  5. I lose count.....I practically live in my p'up

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Just curious to know how many trips people take in a given year on average. DW and I used to be in the 10-15 range (probably closer to 10) before we took on the joys of "real" jobs, home ownership, and the DS.

Last year was definitely an odd out year as we only went once....we spent most of the season adjusting to life as parents. This year, we are definitely planning to get out more....we're thinking 3-5 trips (mostly weekends). That said, it is amazing how quickly life interferes with those plans. DW already has a growing list of things she wants to get done on the house and yard this spring/summer. I'd idealy like to be in the 5-10 range.

Definite trips:

MM Day weekend
    Fathers Day
    Anniversary (Aug)
    My B-day (early Oct)

2. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip New Member

just got my 1st popup always tented once a year, 2 weeks in Pa. now i'll be going more closer to home [8D]

3. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Last year we only did three, but two of them were week + long trips, the other a 4 day weekend. Total days =20

4. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

We try to get out once or twice a month and it seams to have been working that way. Usually only for a weekend or long weekend though.

Ad

5. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Our first p'up too. DW and I are long time tent campers. We've sort of made this pact to go at minimum 3-5 times per year now that we have invested in the p'up.

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We've been on nine trips this year already (counting a two-weeker we were already on at New Years for one of them). All but the New Years trip have been weekend or mostly one-nighters. Hope to camp two or three times a month from here on out, with a two or three weeker later in the year.

No, that's no practically living in the camper, but we do love camping and go whenever we have a chance, even if it's only an hour or so away.

7. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I don't know.....you're pushing it [8D] . I can't wait to be able to camp like that....or even take a week long trip sometime. Unfortunately, camping season just happens to coincide with my busiest season at work, so it is difficult to get "chunk" time off. I'm lucky if they'll let me scoot out a couple hours early on a Friday around here so I can get to the campsite 1.5 hours away from my front door before dark.

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Sometimes we just take off insanely early Saturday mornings, set up and enjoy the whole day at the campsite plus the next day. This Saturday, DW got together with classmates for lunch so we didn't leave till 4:40 in the afternoon. Still got to the site in time to set up and have a nice drink watching the sunset. Returned after dark yesterday (would have been BEFORE dark, but ran over a big nail on a back road, had to force the tire off a stripped wheel stud, and change out the tire... still had fun!)

9. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Perhaps that would have been a more accurate phrasing of the question for the pole....because even though you only did 3, that would be the equiv of 10 weekend trips for me.

10. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

For several years, we camped at least once/month every month of the year. . . . But we missed March this year just because of schedules.

We do have a "minimum" annual schedule - Memorial Day and Labor Day at the local state park, the weekend after school is out at the beach and New Year's Eve at Ocean Lakes. . . . And try to squeeze in as many other trips in as possible!

Pam

11. cuninham

cuninham Oh boy...!!

So far from June - September for this year I've got 8x camping trips booked:

1x - 6 days Inverhurn PP
    2x - 7 days Pinery PP
    1x - 5 days Sauble PP
    2x - 3 days Wheatley PP
    2x - Group Camping trips - 2 days at Port Burwell PP & 2 days Wheatley PP [:)C]

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Nicely done....

13. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

We try to get out at least once a month May-Sept. That's not often enough, but other stuff seems to get in the way. We plan on retiring in a couple of years---then watch us go!

14. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We went on 14 camping trips last year.

15. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg "Failure is not an option"

Not often enough! Usually one trip during spring break, a "real" vacation in June and then a weekend trip or two in July / Aug. before school starts back. If we are lucky, we get in another over a long weekend in October. We missed spring break this year, it rained the entire week and was in the 30s at night. Yes, I know we could have managed it, but we used the time to take care of some "honey do's" around the house. Maybe that means more camping time later???? I hope!

16. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

5 nights Florida Caverns
    2 planned this weekend - Doll Mountain, GA
    5 coming up - Fort Boonesborough, KY
    3 following right after - Cave City, KY

We'll camp more throughout the summer and fall but haven't decided where just yet.

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I usually get four or five local (in the PNW) trips of 3-5 days each, a two-week trip with DW for her vacation (Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this year) and one or two 4-6 week trips. Unfortunately, it looks like this year will be like last year and I'll only get one 4-6 week trip in.

18. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

13-15 May Mills Canyon NM
    MMD Weekend Nogal Canyon NM
    Second week in June we will travel to Sedona AZ for a couple days then to Lake Powel also to a remote site for a couple days and then we will do 2-3 days at a very remote area on the north rim of the Grand Canyon with hiking access to the Colorado River.
    July-October we will be at Conchas Lake about every other weekend with a trip or two to the Capitan area in NM.

19. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

C'mon bearman.....I thought for sure you would select the last option. You're always [CP] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on the year (we don't get as much camping in the west in years we drive east for family) and how DH divides up his vacation time. Average would probably be 3-6, counting backpacking, weekends, and trips of a week or longer.

Planned for this year:
    2 week-long trips with DH (UT week after next, CO in July)
    2 backpacking weekends
    2 ladies' trips - my 2 camping friends could not get away at the same time, so I'm making the best of it and taking 2 separate trips :); first trip will be near Williams AZ, second to North Rim GCNP
    1 long weekend with the church at a group site (ground camping)

We were looking at the calendar yesterday and realizing it was not going to be easy to fit much more camping in this summer. We'll probably try for a trip or 2 in the fall, but haven't figured that out yet.