Camping In A Pup In Windy Conditions, Safe Or Not?

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by rdenard, Oct 1, 2015.

1. rdenard

rdenard New Member

Planning on getting away from hurricane Jaoquin, what would be the safest winds, that a pup maybe able to withstand? Surface winds currently to be at 25 mph at its peak where we are going.

2. gruss

gruss Active Member

You'll be fine, stake down the awning or don't deploy if you have one though!

and the caps lock key is on the left [;)]

3. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

My camper survived many storms. The only thing not surviving is the tent camper next to us. They need to bail to dry/high ground.

4. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

The first (and only so far) storm we rode out had gusts that were in the 50+ range. Trailer held up fine, better then we did, being glued to the weather radar and listening for sirens in case we needed to head to cover.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

25mph winds, camper should hold up fine, little scary though in the tree line, especially laying in the bunk hoping a branch dont come down

6. JT2

JT2 Member

I agree completely with the others above...if properly set up, your PuP will be fine in moderate to stiff winds. I've been in mine at hurricane force; it ain't pretty and I wouldn't do it again but the camper survived nicely. It'll be noisy, and everything will flap and bang around but the camper should be fine.

Your biggest risk is flying or falling debris/ tree limbs/ lawn chairs/ etc. Take that into consideration when setting up. Also, if you can, site the camper so it's end-on (not broadside) to the wind. Blocking that end with your tow vehicle can be helpful as well.

And when it all blows over, walk around with a big smile on your face 'cuz you did it right and got through it.

/JT

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Went through many thunderstorms with high winds... camper did fine. always stake down awning or roll it back in the bag until it passes..

8. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Last August spent a week at Hatteras. The last night there the winds were steady at 40 mph with gusts pushing 50 at times. The pup rocked and rolled all night. Kept me up and freaking out until I searched these forums and got the same responses as the ones above. With a little piece of mind from what I read, I calmed down and slept. Everything was fine in the morning. Now there are no trees to worry about out there, just things flying around.
    Just make sure all is secured and you'll be good.
    It is pretty freaky with everything flapping and rocking. Enjoy.

9. gruss

gruss Active Member

It's freaky the first couple times. It's fun after that [:D]

10. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

It isn't the wind, it's the stuff flying around

No wind just snow on the branches, the larger branch took out the awning. If it hit the bunk or even the roof, who knows??

[​IMG]

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

That would be Part B of the Tree Falling on Pups. Part A is the rest of the tree your branches were attached to, falling on Pups.

Hope it's not too hard to fix up and no one was hurt!!

[:D]

12. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Winds should not be an issue. We went through over 40 mph winds with gusts up to ??? Awning was in bag and kept lifting up and slamming back down. Creepy and disconcerting, but we were dry and safe. More worrisome will be falling trees, etc. The ground is so wet. . . . .

13. TwoEngineersGoCamping

TwoEngineersGoCamping Member

Well, shoot! We waved off on our maiden voyage at Lake Lanier this weekend because of the high winds. Thanks for asking the question podunk!

14. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

I was camping on the sound side at Emerald Isle by myself waiting for wife and kids to arrive the next day. That night the wind blew so hard the whole roof of the Popup was shaking. I remember thinking to make sure my feet were away from the edge of the bed in case the roof fell. Crazy things go through your mind camping alone. Anyway my Coleman has a separate cable to each support post so the chance of the roof falling was nix. Now my nephew has a Popup that uses external braces on the support post and I may be wrong but I think if a central chain breaks without the support braces in place the roof can fall. I never heard of it happening.

15. jdirosa72@gmail.com

jdirosa72@gmail.com Member

she's gone so no worries, way off the coast, check out the noaa website

16. rdenard

rdenard New Member

The wife and I want to Thank you all for your responses. We set up at Little Pee Dee State Park,(in the rain). Seriously had a great time there from 2 - 8 October 2015. It was a blast.
    In more ways than one. This was our 5th trip camping, the bad weather broke on Monday the 5th. Ready to go again ASAP.