Camping in Cherokee NC

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by G8tor38, Jul 17, 2020.

1. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

It’s our forth year coming to Indian Creek Campground, awesome place to get away. The owners are super people and take pride in making sure your stay is comfortable, clean bath house and showers as well. If you buy firewood when checking in, don’t be surprised if it’s at the campsite before you, won’t always happen, but they don’t mess around.
    The store has most everything you might forget and then some, including fishing gear. Since the campground is on reservation land the creek that runs behind most of the primitive sites and the 30 amp sites is stocked weekly with trout, so if you like fishing, then you need to try this one out.
    We have a vacation home about 45 minutes away in Franklin NC, and the land here at the campground looks similar to our property, both have a creek running through them and are semi secluded away from traffic, infact, my wife says we need to camp there instead of coming to Cherokee, but we look forward to seeing John and the gang every year, and getting a chance to talk to everyone here just makes it that much more fun. This is a quiet, fun camp ground that can accommodate about anything, but foolishness and not following rules is not tolerated, and everyone that comes here knows it which makes it a nice environment for family. There is a play ground for the kids and if you don’t have a camper, no biggie, they have cabins too!
    Gatlinburg Tenn. is about an hour and a half ride through the Park and there are many things to do along the way, the Old gris mill, Clingmans Dome, and an early settlers display just outside of Cherokee on the way to Gatlinburg which you may see some Elk there, go the other way and depending on which way you turn, there is Bryson City or Nantahala River Rafting, Or Maggie Valley.
    I am currently sitting on our camp site about five feet from the creek with the fire going while writing this log, so if you are out this way, don’t pass up the chance to stay here. Yes, there is a KOA and a Yogi down the road a ways, but they don’t come close to comparison for the peace and quiet, did I mention this is at the end of the paved road?
    Tell them Steve sent ya, you won’t regret this choice but make reservations since they fill up fast.

2. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We stayed 6 years ago at the Flaming Arrow and loved the area but would try another campground. The pool was filthy and the neighbors were way too close. Are the Indian Village and play going this summer? We enjoyed them and talk about going again with family who enjoy history.
    Thanks for the review.

3. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

Nani, I am not sure about “Unto these Hills”, you may want to check their web site. Depending on what site you get You could have close neighbors but it’s not the commercial campground that most are, you won’t even know it. If you need water and electric just tell them to put you on the creek in a fairly private site.

4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Sounds nice...any pics?

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We stayed on campsite 1 and 2, last year. Assume Chad is still manning the grounds as caretaker. Just to note, it's not at the end of a road. It's a public road that passes through the campground, that goes back to the Blue Ridge Parkway, but has very little traffic.

6. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

Rik, I have a couple pics from our site, I will try to upload them. I will see if my wife has any pics from years past, she’s the photographer in the family.

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

WrkrBee, Chad is not there any longer, he and his wife moved to take care of her mom. There is another Chad there now with his wife, along with another couple that help John, Janet and Jimmy. I only mentioned the campground being at the end of the road because it is at the end of the paved part of the road and is not a traveled road unless they are locals or fisherman, and unless you had a Jeep or4 wheel drive this year, most would not have traveled it due to the washouts from the rains. I drove me F-250 down it and it was rough to say the least, although they were starting to grade it and most years it is easily traveled by car (not campers). You do bring up a good point though, although it does connect to the Parkway, Do Not! Follow your gps to get to the camp ground. The road is often very rough and has several serious switch backs on it, so if you are pulling a camper you may not make it depending on length and style of your camper, and if you do make it you may be straighten up the camper on arrival, come from Cherokee on the hard roads. The campground advises to use the directions on their website and NOT your GPS.

Jack Sprat and WrkrBee like this.
  8. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Good Gumby, extreme nice spot & pics!

10. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

Rik, pics are a little deceiving in the fact that there are campers/tents on both sides of us just outside of view and across from us, but as you can see it doesn’t matter with the view and they keep the sites and bath houses very nice as well. We like it because we can see the bath house from our location so we can watch the grand children go up and back during the night. There is also a playground close by the creek side sites. They also have cabins if interested. The campground books out early for next season so book in advance.

Rik Peery likes this.