Camping in Economic Recessions

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Econ, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Active Member

We were not camping in 2009. How is the camping volume at National and State Parks during recessions/economic downturns? Is this the opportunity to get into popular places?

Thanks

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

It just really depends. RVs were big sales for the past 10 years or so. Many bought the RVs to do big road trips. With a recession, those people may choose to go to the nearest NP to home to save on fuel costs while still utilizing the RV. That could put a bigger demand on parks near high populated areas.

Then, you may have folks who decide camping is a cheaper alternate to hotel/air trips. So they may decide to get a cheap popup and head to Yellowstone instead of going to Hawaii, etc.

Fuel prices would likely have the biggest impact on NPs. If fuel prices increase enough, air travel will become more desireable. And with a recession, airlines will likely start easing up on baggage allowances to entice more fliers. More people flying means fewer people camping in the parks.

3. Econ

Econ Active Member

Thanks for the response. In the years leading up to the 2008/2009 recession there had been a boom in motorcycle sales, largely financed by Harley having a subprime finance company. In 2009 the repo man went out and collected about 3/4 of those as the credit cycle collapsed. Paying cash maybe common in the pop up world but it is speculated that a lot of these campers are heavily financed. The term "staycation" erupted about 2009. People staying at campgrounds as a cheap vacation is a good argument. Just looking for a response from those that had lived through 2009. Current prediction is gas <$2 soon. That's not a good sign for the economy.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

A lot of folks finance their RVs and/or buy a lot more than they really need. Those folks will end up selling at a loss because they can't afford to use it or pay to store it. A few will let it sit through the recession and then deal with the problems occuring from lack of maintenance.

But that will put more affordable rigs out there for folks thinking RVing/camping will be a cheap alternative.

A lot of my family had RVs through 2009. The economy didn't change anything for them for the most part other than choosing to camp locally instead of doing road trips. But they were all campers to begin with. It may be different for those who don't camp but only RV - they may get rid of the RV because camping isn't an alternative for them.

I bought my first trailer around 2010. Economy didn't really have anything to do with it as I was already living below my means, so the recession didn't affect me much.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

For me I already had my popup that I essentially just paid cash for. The poor economy ment only fairly local trips for me and not as many. Especially when gas prices were $4.00 a gallon. Camping was far cheaper than any other alternative and for me meant a good way to recharge my mental battery vrs going stir crazy. Campgrounds really didn't change much I found. Crowds were about the same at least for the local places I went. We just didn't see the major out of state travelers like we sometimes did. Vrs today where I see a lot of out of state travelers. Overall you still have to make reservations, that never changed for us. However we never did need months notice unless your talking the beach.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its cheaper then hotels, so i would go out on a limb here and say its more crowded. Do you know something we dont? Time to sell? Lol.