Camping in Idaho

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by kskelloggs, Feb 22, 2019.

1. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

We're in eastern Wyoming and hoping to head to Kellogg Idaho some time this summer just to see it (Our last name is Kellogg, lol) and wondered if any of you are familiar with the area and could recommend good places to camp with our pup. I-90 goes from home to Kellogg so would be a relatively direct route but we prefer to travel more back roads and secondary highways. Would love to hear about anyone's adventures and recommendations.

2. Ray Cole

Ray Cole New Member

a bit out of your way but I love the Lochsa River, lots of Forest Service campgrounds, not many people and great fishing.

3. IdahoPopUp

IdahoPopUp Member

If you go the I-90 route be sure to stop at Lookout Pass ski area and ride the Hiawatha bike trail. Be sure to research how much time is needed and the cost. I have done it going uphill by myself and down hill with a baby trailer and 2 teenagers. We rode the shuttle back on that trip.
    If you want back roads, come through southern Idaho and then head north through Sun Valley, Challis, back into Montana and I-90. Or cut up to Idaho Falls across to Craters of the Moon and head north from there. Or make your way to Stanley and then use forest service roads to get to McCall. Or go to Boise and head up highway 55 through McCall. Possibilities are endless.

4. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

Thanks! Sounds like the back roads will be more entertaining for us. We will have to pick up some forest service maps and check that out. We camp here on forest service a lot, just because we like it, lol! We were tent campers for years, but finally bought a pup when hubby broke his back the 2nd time and sleeping on the ground just got too uncomfortable for him. Love all the ideas and options you gave us! Thanks again!

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We have friends in Casper, Sheridan, Driggs and I used to reside in the powder basin, ak Gillette. I spend about 15 years in the energy business including the time spent in Gillette. Love that state of yours....

6. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

7. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

It's a great state to live in! So many options on how to spend free time, if one has any, lol! Winters can be brutal, but that's when we stay home in front of the fire. One gets used to spending a lot of time on the road, as we have to travel to get anywhere, including to work!