Camping in Illinois and Neighboring States.

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by riv1707, Jun 14, 2010.

1. riv1707

riv1707 New Member

I'm looking for some nice campgrounds with in a days drive from central Illinois. Preferably shady with light hiking, fishing is a plus, electric hook-ups, and close amenities for my girlfriend an I or possibly with another couple. Any help would be appreciated considering I'm basically a newbie.

2. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

My new favorite is Middle Fork Forest Preserve Campground near Rantoul. The fishing is great and there area hiking trails. I have lots of photos on my webshots if you care to take a look.

3. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

Here are my favorites around the Mahomet/Champaign area. All within an hour's drive.
    1. Forest Glen Preserve (south of Danville)
    2. Bo Woods ACOE just south of Sullivan on Lake Shelbyville
    3. Weldon Springs SP (Clinton)

All would have shady sites, and fishing. Best fishing would be Lake Shelbyville. As amenities such as places to eat or be entertained: Sullivan has the Little Theatre on the Square, Clinton has Ted's Garage (nostalgic diner).

4. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

5. riv1707

riv1707 New Member

Hey thanks everyone. I use to go to Lake Shelbyville as a kid, but had no clue where the nice campgrounds are. I'll have to check them all out since I desperately need a vacation. lol

6. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Check out Starved Rock State Park. It is quite nice.

7. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

Shabonna Lake State Park is good with great fishing.

Scott County Park in Iowa a little north of the Quad Cities is very nice, but no fishing.

8. hanson1522

hanson1522 Belleville, IL

Cole's Creek CG at Carlyle Lake is awesome. Matter of fact, a bunch of us are gonna be there this weekend if you wanna stop by!! We'll be in site 89. :)

9. daddy1022

daddy1022 New Member

Hidden Valley Resort in Milton, WI is really nice. Just spent last weekend there. And it's right off of I-90 near Edgerton. Here's a link to their website: http://www.hiddenvalleyrvresort.com/

10. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Potato Creek State Park near South Bend, IN is great. There is a lake for fishing, beach for swimming (including a dog beach) boat rental, bike rental, nice hiking trails and the best paved bike trail we have ever seen at a park. Also rugged mountain bike trails. The campgrounds have the biggest sites of any park we have been to.

11. wnickles

wnickles New Member

Here's another vote for Hidden Valley Resort in MIlton. It's a very nice place. Even has a little waterfall int he pool. Nice place.

12. RoyB

RoyB New Member

another vote for starved rock. great park with nice hiking. We stayed at a private site about 2 miles down the road, forgot the name though.

13. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

Hickory Hills? It is nice, but too close to the Tollway.

14. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Backbone state park in NE Iowa. It is just south of Strawberry Point where there is great Trout fishing. They say there is good trout fishing in the park itself but i've never done it. Here is a link to the IA DNR page about the park http://www.iowadnr.gov/parks/state_park_list/backbone.html

15. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I can vouvh for the trout fishing in Backbone park.

16. Shinkey99

Shinkey99 91 Jayco Cardinal 6

You might try Comlara park it is on int 39 near Hudson/ Kappa il,Is has hookups all but sewer and is on Lake Evergreen.
    We love it and it is 20 bucks a night,If you want info let me know can send it to ya

17. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Chain-O-Lakes State Park is nice. Fishing, hiking, boating, dirt sprint car track in Wilmot Wi just up the road.

Some sites have no services while others have water / electric. Showers and restrooms have always been clean.

18. RoyB

RoyB New Member

yup. i think that was the name. Nice facility. Too close to the tollway? I didn't really have a problem with that. I heard what sounded like a motocross track at night time though, that was kinda annoying.

19. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

Southern Wisconsin has a lot of State Park Campgrounds and most of them have non reservable sites for people who go at the last minute. I know Ottawa Lake and Mauthe Lake campgrounds do as I have been to both of them. I prefer camping from Sunday evening to Thursday at any Wisconsin State or Private campground unless you like crowds. The reservable sites at both of these parks are generally free from Sunday to Thursday and you can drive through and take your pick. At Wisconsin State parks you now need to purchase wood at the campground or within 25 miles and I know at Ottawa Lake the Rangers might pop in when you have a fire going and see where it came from so save receipt.

20. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

Catworker (PUP Member) has a campout planned this coming weekend at Ferne Clyffe State Park, you might want to check it out. Click Here: Link