camping in July, in GA and tick issue???

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by eve104, May 16, 2012.

1. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

OK so our family is booked to camp in Stone Mountain, Ga but we are booked the end of July and we have 4 kids, on of which is a 1 year old (will be then). I am VERY concerned about the ticks and possibly getting the camper infested and having an ongoing problem even after we come home. I dont want to have to be check ALL day and not sleeping at night worried that a tick might have crawled into bed with the baby or other kids (even though I check every night just before bed). With all of this said we are not concidering just canceling and going in the Fall, but my husband does not think that the tick problem will be any better by then. Any insight or advice would be appreciated. [HY] [TV]

2. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Since I'm always out and about around the woods & streams & ponds, ticks are sort of a way of life! What I've found that works real good on clothing, tenting and equipment (to keep the critters out and off), is a product called Sawyer Permethrin.

http://www.sawyer.com/bugs.html#bugs1

3. BigCat76

BigCat76 New Member

Ticks are definately in full effect this year. Just be sure to spray yourselves, especially your ankles. Check periodically. Ticks have not stopped me from camping and hiking. I do a lot of work outside, in the woods (in Ga).

4. Dienamic

Dienamic New Member

+1 for Flyfishermans comment. Ticks snort deet to get high. The only thing that will stop them is Permethrin. This however should only be used on clothing. It is not a skin contact repelent. Walmart used to sell permaone (my favorite) but no longer carry it. You might be able to find it at outdoor stores still. Last batch I bought was from BassPro. I bought 8 cans...have 2 left. You can also mix your own by buying the concentrate at Tractor Supply. Mix it to a .3 solution. 1/2 oz. is about right for a large spray bottle. I use this to spray clothes and dog bedding. Allow it to dry and it will protect you for a few weeks or until you wash whatever it is on. I would hesitate to use it on youngins though. Pretty powerful stuff...