Camping in Key West? When is a good time?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by dgarbers, May 7, 2012.

1. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

So, I'm searching for this topic, not knowing that there is a camper model called the Key West. And, of course, I couldn't find anything about cgs.

We need a vacation - badly. Don't have a lot of time for a dream trip out west, but I thought we could look into Key West. Can you camp in the Keys? When is a good time to go - not blisteringly hot, no sand flies, no horse flies that will fly off with my kids, etc. ? How long should we plan on staying to see it all?

Not sure how long it will take to convince DH to go - he's not wild about sand beaches, but loves diving.

I know nothing about this area at all, other than it is on my list of places to see. My kids love to swim and will work on their surface dives this summer.

What else do I need to know about going there? I will get a AAA Guide to FL and probably a guide book from the library before going. I have no idea if this is a good trip for sometime between now and Nov. I do know that the most likely day to have a hurricane is Sept. 14ish.

Thank you!!!

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Haven't done it myself yet although I'd love to. I know there are numerous CGs in the Keys both private CGs and public SPs. Here's something that should help you locate potential sites. I understand it can be very popular during the winter (duh) and reservations are recommended.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Florida/Key_West.html

We have been to Marathon 2x, pre-PUP, and loved it both times even though the weather didn't always cooperate. One time small craft advisories were up the whole trip so we never got out on the water. If you're looking for outstanding food, there's a restaurant at Rainbows Bend. Owner is an ex-NY restaurantur and his wife is the chef. Great host. Reservations needed in-season. The hotel itself isn't fancy but clean. Reminds me of something out of Key Largo, 1950's FL.

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I would most recommend some time between January 1st and December 31st as that's the best time to camp in the Keys. Of course, you should avoid heavy holiday traffic as those dates encompass several holidays but you should be able to work out a date that fits your schedule. [:D]

4. dvenable

dvenable New Member

Bahia Honda State Park is where you want to go. It's absolutely beautiful and only about 30 miles from Key West. You will also be close to Marathon and Big Pine Key. Go eat at the No Name Pub on Big Pine and staple a dollar to the wall.

In Key West, have a beer at Irish Kevin's. Do NOT leave the keys without eating conch fritters.

5. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We have been to Key West many times over the years and we love it. It is like being in a tropical heaven. However, I never considered Key West to be kid friendly as there are many bars and many folks who drink a lot day and night. We never camped, but rather stayed in the ultra expensive hotels and condos. We did see some campgrounds near, but they were full of part timers and big rigs. Have been to Bahia Honda SP and it is a beautiful park, but I believe they fill up quickly. It can get very hot so far down south in the summer. One year in August it was 107 degrees for about a week. October would be a great time to go for some less hot and humid weather. The sunset festival on Mallory Square is a must see, plenty of entertainment and good food. Lots of museums and the butterfly museum would be great for kids. If it were me, I would try to get into Bahia Honda or another state park and take day trips down to Key West! Good Luck and hope you enjoy your trip.

6. garrettrl24

garrettrl24 2005 Dodge Durango

Check out www.floridastateparks.org We love Bahia Honda Sp,it is hard to get res sometimes but you can make res 11 months in advance. There is also John Pennekamp Coral Reef Sp if you like to dive,and others such as Curry Hammock.
    have fun.

7. PopUpJohnny

PopUpJohnny New Member