Camping in Michigan UP in the fall.. Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Camping Fever, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

We will be driving across northern WI into MI's Upper Peninsula for about a week around the middle of September. I've convinced myself and my DH to go without reservations and see where we land. A part of me loves the freedom this will give us but another part of me is freaking (which is a part of why I want to do this).

So...for those of you that are brave enough to go reservationless....I am asking for your advice on what are the best bets for finding a campsite in the UP in September or any extra tips for going reservationless.

And also looking for advice on the best parks, must sees and don't misses. I would love to make it to Sleeping Bear Dunes but I doubt we will make it that far. So any info from WI up to that point would be appreciated. Thanks much.

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

After Labor Day it should be no big deal to wander in for a site. Can't help much with the western UP (Porkies of course). Tahquamenon Falls State Park in Paradise, Brimley SP, Straits State Park by thr bridge has great views of the Straits and the bridge. Lots to see and do for sure. Check the Michigan DNR website for campgrounds too!
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParkMap.aspx
    And enjoy the great UP!

3. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

Thanks. Tahquamenon Falls is on the to do list for sure. Do you know if you can get right up to the falls or is it viewing only?

4. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

No camping at the upper falls but there is camping at the lower falls some of the camp sites are within a few hundred yards of the lower falls. In Newberry there is a KOA and a place called CLEMENTZ'S NORTHCOUNTRY CAMPGROUND AND CABINS a real nice place it's about 20 miles from the falls.

5. DLynn44

DLynn44 New Member

The state park at Tahquamenon is great. The lower falls you can row a boat over to and play in them. I've been two times in my life, once when I was maybe 12 and then 45, I had just as much fun both times playing in the water. Camping at the state park you can walk to the lower falls. The upper falls we drove to. There is also on the lower side of the U.P. west of the bridge about 20 min's, is Hogs Island State Park. It's a rustic park but so very prettywith sites right on the waters edge.

6. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I have only been camping in the UP once, but I am in love with that part of our country. I have always felt as if my soul was born there. I love this website for exploring places to visit when we do go up north. Hope you find it useful in your vacation planning.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/mich/mich.html

Here is link with lots of Tahquamenon info, including camping links and the like.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/tahqua.html

This is how we went to see Tahquamenon Falls, many years ago. It was wonderful but does take up a day, a peaceful, relaxing day.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/tahqua.html

Don't over look a chance to see the Pictured Rock National Shoreline, they have a wonderful boat cruise from Munising for viewing the shoreline. It is spectacular and the small town of Munising is very beautiful, and boast of numerous waterfalls that can be seen from the road.

No matter where you go, you will have a great time and don't worry, you will find a place to camp.

I sure am jealous. Have fun and take pictures.

7. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

8. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

Thanks for all the great ideas and posts. I am so excited to go to such a beautiful area of the country. Now all I have to do is patiently wait until September....

9. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I'd go without reservations--shouldn't be a problem that time of year. Whitefish Point is terrific, the falls, it's all good. Brimley is the fav state park most mentioned when we've been discussing future Michigan Rally locations. The white fish dinners are the best up there! Any mom & pop restaurant will do right by you. Enjoy!!!

10. DLynn44

DLynn44 New Member

Let us know how that waiting patiently goes....I'm just giddy about our planned trips and can hardly wait. I am worse than a kid.

11. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Same here as D'Lynn (how are you?). Cannot wait for camping. Made it to Sleeping Bear/Traverse City/Leland/S Manitou Is. last year (great trip!), but have not been back to the UP since '04 - I miss it so!

12. mrdinks

mrdinks New Member

I know this is an older post, just wondering if you're still going in September?
    Your first post could have been written by me.
    We are heading across WI to spend a week in the UP and would rather not make reservations. Going the 2nd and 3rd week in Sept.
    If your still around here let me know what you decided to do. [CP]

13. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

We are still planning on going in September. Our niece is getting married in Michigan in September...go figure... so that has altered our plans a bit. We are not quite sure what we are going to do at this point.

14. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

Leaving for Michigan tomorrow. Though we were excited to see our niece get married last year, it did mess with our plans.

So excited to finally get to enjoy the UP.

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I just saw this thread. I use THIS website to find CGs. It has all public CGs in the USA. Don't fret going reservationless. Enjoy the freedom of wandering where and when you want.

16. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=428&type=SPRK

We stayed here and it was really cool. The brewery here has some good food and beer. The stops along the lake for picnics are cool

17. NanaNPots

NanaNPots Member

we are leaving Columbia SC Monday afternoon and heading to the UP for our first visit. Have a reservation on the way up for Wednesday night at Harrisville SP on Lake Huron, and the KOA in Sault Ste Marie on Ontario side for the weekend, but other than that are planning to go where the spirit leads for the next week. Taking the Agawa canyon train ride on Friday, and going to the Bush Plane museum on Saturday. We homeschool our grandson and this is our major field trip for the fall! Want to see the Soo Locks, Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish point, Seney, Tahquemenon Falls and Pictured Rocks. Not sure if we will find a spot and use it as a base, or move around. Don't plan to go further west than Munising. Can't wait!! Tomorrow is load up the camper day--finally!!

18. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I love the UP & Tahquamenon Falls!!!!

19. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

NanaNPots--
    How was your trip to the UP?