Camping in SE Virginia

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by binky, Jul 18, 2009.

1. binky

binky New Member

Anyone camping in SE Virginia next week...July 20-25 ? I'm trying to figure out where to go.....too many choices.

2. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I'm going to try to head to Oregon Inlet for a night or three toward the end of the week. I know, no shade or hookups, but it's right there on the beach. It's also where we took the maiden voyage and had a blast.

3. binky

binky New Member

Enjoying Chippokes as I type. Nice and quiet....and almost empty. Nice weather, kids enjoyed the pool and its quiet. I was able to grab another pull-through site right across from the restrooms. :)

4. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Pull through site across from the rest rooms... Seems like a recurring theme with you!

Enjoy your trip!

5. binky

binky New Member

Back home [:(]...... I really wish we had stayed an extra day. Chippokes is a great park!!!! Nice and quiet, big shady sites with level, paved sites on the B loop. The A loop sites were a little smaller and not as level.

The kids and I went on a tour through a swampy area with one of the rangers (intern). It was a nice sized group with a bunch of small kids...and they did great walking through this swampy ground!!!! :) The intern, Chelsea, was very excited to have a group following her. She seemed very dedicated to her work.

The pool and farm museum are pretty cool. A large lifeguarded pool kept the kids entertained......me and DW too. The farm museum has old pieces of equipment that were used when farming was farming. That had to be hard work in the days of early or no mechanization. The kids enjoyed feeding the billy goats and chickens. Got to see a baby...I mean baby billy goat, probably 2-3 weeks old that looked and acted like a little puppy.

We met several popup owners and I spread the word about this GREAT website. Our neighbors, also in a pup, had 5 small kids with them on their first trip in their recently purchased pup. They all came over and visited, the kids played great together and helped to keep them all occupied. The adults sat back and enjoyed some adult "soda pops" and made some new friends.

Being only 45 minutes away, Chippokes will stay top on our list of "gotta go again" parks.

For those that live in or near Virginia, we must congratulate the Commonwealth of Virginia on their state park system. Shaen or Digger I will email you about this.

Happy Camping!!! :)

6. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Glad you and your family had a great time!!! I hope to do a weekend in Nov as my season closer.