Camping in the Adirondaks

nycamper77

Apr 21, 2012
Ive been tent camping in the Adirondaks in nothern ny for the last 3 years and this year il be using my pop up my question is does anyone cook or eat in there pop up or do you keep all food outside to keep bear and other critters from trying to get it when we tent camped we never ate inside tent and change our cloths before going to bed we always leave our camsite clean before retiring for the night but im not sure i wanna bring food odors in my pop up

FSHNFOOL76

Mar 31, 2006
Sound Beach, N.Y.
We never cook in the pup, it's all done outside. We don't keep or eat food inside either. At night or if we're leaving the site for any amount of time, all food stuff goes in the truck, with the windows up. It's not just bears. There are plenty of times that we've seen birds, squirrels and chipmunks wreak havoc on unattended sites.

I know there are lots of others out there that will chime in that they do cook and store food in their campers but I'm not one of them. Murphy's Law has a tendency to follow me around, so why take the chance?

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
When we camp in bear territory we never store food in the pup. It all gets stored in the TV. We never cook in the pup either, we don't want any lingering smells!

About the only thing we will store in the pup is bottles of water that will keep in the fridge to keep them cold.

Burns

May 8, 2011
Smart camping practices, actually.

Trouble is if you cook in the pop-up the smells stay in the trailer - remember a bear's sense of smell is vastly more sensitive that a human's.

Also (believe it or not) toiletries such as toothpaste, soap and makeup also smell tantalizing to a whole bunch of critters (including bears). May daughter left her toiletry bag in het tent one night and racoons managed to undo the zipper and have fun with her makeup.

papachaz

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2011
Burns said:
Smart camping practices, actually.

Trouble is if you cook in the pop-up the smells stay in the trailer - remember a bear's sense of smell is vastly more sensitive that a human's.

Also (believe it or not) toiletries such as toothpaste, soap and makeup also smell tantalizing to a whole bunch of critters (including bears). May daughter left her toiletry bag in het tent one night and racoons managed to undo the zipper and have fun with her makeup.

they were probably just wanting to try a different color around their eyes.....i can see that [;)]

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
Practice the same precautions you did in a tent......a p'up is just a tent in a box really. That's not to say that we've never cooked or eaten in the p'up......we have, but only when we absolutely had to, and we keep it pretty basic (i.e. heating up some soup or something); we follow up with a serious cleaning job. I think it's pretty unrealistic to say "never"......but like I said, keep it to neccesity.

Besides that, I've always enjoyed cooking and eating outdoors.....why would I want to go through all of the trouble of getting my arse into the wilderness/backcountry only to confine myself to my little p'up while cooking? Not to mention, I'd be all by my lonesome in there while everyone else was having a ball outside; I'd rather be where the action is, sipping a cold one and flipping the steak on the grill.