Camping in the cold weather

kjay12

Sep 14, 2014
Newbie here. We are thinking taking out new pup camping this weekend. We live in PA and the overnight temps are going to be 38 degrees. We have a heater. Is that too cold for the canvas? We don't to damage the canvas.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
It's not too cold for the canvas or vinyl coated tenting but the plastic windows may get a little stiff. I packed up at 28 F. and just had to be gentle with the windows.

JustRelax

Super Active Member
Feb 20, 2013
Indianapolis
Welcome and Congratulations!

If it's already winterized from dealer or previous owner I also wouldn't put water in the tank if you are only going this one time before winter- I'm reading that this is a very recent purchase for you. This will save you from doing it over.

As far as damaging canvass from the temperature you'll be fine.

Another note would be to add your PUP make and TV in your signature. This helps when asking questions people know what you have. The advice may be different from model to model or more so if your "new" camper is a new 2014 or a 1996 new to you.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Most pups should be find in those temps. Usually the caution is for vinyl at sub-zero temps. We've camped into the teens in both of the pups we're had. The vinyl is stiffer to fold down, so may take a bit more patience.

As JustRelas indicated, putting the pup info in your signature line is a big help to the rest of us.

Also, check out this section for tips on camping in cold weather:
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=104.0

kjay12

Sep 14, 2014
Thank you for the replies. We have a new 2015 Jayco Sport Series 8sd. We only used it once since we bought it in September. We don't plan on using the water. The dealer did put water in the tank to test it before we brought it home. Do we need to just drain it before storing for the winter? We do not have a hot water heater.

Kim J.
2015 Jayco Sport Series 8sd

EV2

Mar 18, 2008
Yes, drain it and at least blow the lines out. It may be advantageous to pick up some RV antifreeze to run through your palm if you have a 12 V pump.

JustRelax

Super Active Member
Feb 20, 2013
Indianapolis
kjay12 said:
Thank you for the replies. We have a new 2015 Jayco Sport Series 8sd. We only used it once since we bought it in September. We don't plan on using the water. The dealer did put water in the tank to test it before we brought it home. Do we need to just drain it before storing for the winter? We do not have a hot water heater.

Kim J.
2015 Jayco Sport Series 8sd

Draining the tank and lines is the minimum. Most and what is recommended run the pink RV anitifreeze through the faucet lines as well. I don't drink from my tank so am not worried about the taste that some say stays with the line. I put that in there at the risk of opening up another set of questions or a debate but you should be able to search this in the topics. In a PUP with one tank and one faucet is pretty simple. Even with a shower isn't too bad. Draining the lines keep them from freezing up and breaking if temps in your area get below freezing for several days (or weeks) in a row assuming that it's not parked in some type of heated storage. Your manual should provide much more detail but that is the gist of it.

Halford

Super Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
I camped when the weather froze the water filter that was outside and broke it. The damage was done to the plastic/rubber mix that attaches the canvas to the door frames. That was 1996 Key West but now the newer camper I just bought has Velcro that keeps canvas on the door frame. I guess it shows that Coleman back then noticed it and made changes to allow us to do winter camping...

Also put the heater on the floor and turn it on for about 20 minutes before you crank it up... you will be fine.

I camped on tallest mtn in Alabama during Christmas... it dropped to 25 degrees over night and froze everything. There was some snow... The gizmo helped. I was cozy and warm...

bburgcamper

16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.
Jun 8, 2008
The other trick is crank the heat up before you break it down to make the canvas more pliable and easier to fold. We usually fire the furnace and space heater up on high for 30 minutes prior to breakdown.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I second all that has already been said. I would empty and winterize the pump. Bring some water in 5 gallon containers. You may want to keep a gallon inside the trailer just in case it makes it down to freezing in the early morning hours. You will find much of the heat leakage is in the bunkends. So consider using reflectix in the bunkends to help maintain some of the heat. When folding up go slow and you shall be fine. Just remember it may not be as easy to fold the trailer up when its cold. The canvas just doesn't bend as easy.

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
Central WI
I would also say, you have new canvas/vinyl...that makes a huge difference in pliability! Ours' is extremely stiff in cold weather and difficult to fold and stow. Go have some fun! [CP] [:D]

pandpcamper

Lifetime camper, newer to pup
Jun 25, 2012
My thought also to run the heater before tearing down. We would run the propane heater on PUP and a little space heater. The weather was quite chilly and our aquatainer of water had a thin sheet of ice on top when it sat out on picnic table all night
We've never winterized the tubes/pipes, due to fact that we haven't run water yet. Most times mage with aquatainers and outside use.

ghri49

Aug 21, 2013
We have camped in weather as cold as 13F in our pup with no issues. we did not have water in the lines though.

skirk55

Aug 17, 2014
We unhook our water and keep about three gal. Of pink in the water tank so at night we would just pump it through everything. We never forgot the outside shower.
My wife picked up an electric heater and we put it at the end away from the heater. We have heated mattress heater. I can not tell you how much we like this. Folding up has never been a problem . we nowe also live in pa. My kids are camping this weekend in a tent with there kids. Take them camping when they are little and they will take there kids when they are little.

PaThacker

Super Active Member
Feb 11, 2010
Poconos
Haha. I put my hybrid into winter storage mode but may pull it out in the winter for atv snowmobile trails fun. Closed up and I have 21 feet of heated floor space
092bb7cff82975006e17589d77a3af22.jpg

I have a luggable loo hossack bucket for the girls.