Camping in the driveway

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by goody59, Sep 6, 2014.

1. goody59

goody59 Member

In 3 weeks I will be camping in the driveway, actually my mother's driveway. This will be about a year's worth as we have sold our house and are rebuilding a new house. It should be an interesting 12 months of driveway camping for my wife and I.

2. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Have fun but make sure you propane it well get cold.

3. goody59

goody59 Member

I will have water connection, 240v AC power connection and drain set up. It has a toilet and shower and propane too but I will add our induction hot plate and our ceramic heater for the colder months too. We have the cooler from http://www.swampy.net/ too for the hotter months. It will be our bunk for sleeping for the 12 months mainly rather than 24/7 living.

4. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

Good luck with your house project.

5. goody59

goody59 Member

Thanks. It is going to be an interesting year.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If this is in a developed area, you might want to check into the legality of it. I know where I'm at, it's forbidden by city ordinance to have someone living in your yard. Of course the occasional kid's camping in a tent out back or a weekend "camp driveway" nobody's going to care about... but 12 months would almost certainly get me a letter once it was found out about...

And best of luck with the house project. We redid our kitchen and a good part of our main level last year... didn't have a working kitchen for about 6 weeks and things were pretty torn up for an additional 4 or so. And that was maddening enough lol. But the results are worth it.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You might want to prepare up front for an additional 2-4 months too.. seems like construction projects never keep on schedule. Unless you already have that built into the 12 :)

8. Bjune

Bjune New Member

Hope your camp driveway is going well. We moved our house 10 years ago, and lived in a small TT while remodeling for 5 months. Mercy, when we moved back in the house, we sold the TT and by spring bought our popup, and I am glad we did the move, but I don't ever want to go through that again.

9. Heady

Heady Active Member

Good luck! A year is going to be a long time in such small quarters.

10. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I have a friend that did that about 3 yrs ago while he rebuilt from a fire. The stores he told but it all worked out in the end.

11. goody59

goody59 Member

I am unsure how this is going to go but we will give it a shot.

12. goody59

goody59 Member

Well I have moved in. 3 days down and 362 days or so to go. So far so good.
    LOL
    We have it very comfortable. I installed an air circulation mat under our mattress today. No issues with mold or mildew under foam mattress now.
    http://www.empind.com.au/shop/item/air-circulation-mesh-acs10
    TV/DVD player with digital TV antennae, hot and cold mains pressure water, shower, toilet, 3 way fridge on 240vAC swampy cooler for your neck of the woods(http://www.swampy.net/) 240v AC power gas heating, ceramic 240V AC heating, plenty of lighting and one end of double bed for storage containers for clothes and food and whatever. A double garage is a few feet away and that houses our house refrigerator, clothes and other contents of the house just sold. We have access to outdoor furniture when weather fine and a BBQ. All good in the hood.

13. goody59

goody59 Member

Two weeks down now. Today I installed a hinged and edged white board bed head that now supports us as we sit up in bed watching TV. Now we can lean back with support and no issue of leaning into the canvas stretching the canvas and joins. The bed head is 500mm high and the full width of the slide out bunk. It will all fold down for travel.
    It still feels like a bit of a holiday but I am sure reality with hit home after a month or two. We have ourselves pretty organised to complete our daily routines.
    During the intallation of the bed head today I managed to colapse the small light timber step put in place to climb up into the slide out bunk. I pulled the step all out, reconstructed it with lots of extra screws as it has always been a bit flimsy and spongy. I then reinstalled it back in place and used two aluminium extrusions (flat bar) to make support bracing over the entire step that attached to the popup floor, the step itself and to the front lower wall that the step attached to. Now the step feels supportive, strong and will never cause an issue again I believe.

14. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Good luck to you...the DW and I lived in our Pup for 3 months when we 1st moved to NC in 85....

15. goody59

goody59 Member

I hope our stay will be for less than a year but who knows. Thank you.

16. goody59

goody59 Member

23 days down. I put out the awning out today as the weather is getting hotter and our door side of the Popup faces west so we need some shade for the summer.
    I must admit that the headboard addition on hinges is brilliant for sitting up in bed watching TV. It is comfortable and saves straining canvas. It won't be long before we will have to utalise the swampy cooler for some relief from the heat.

http://www.swampy.net/

This little beauty was designed by one of your Countrymen - Jack Stich. Great bit of kit. All good with Life in a Popup for now.

17. goody59

goody59 Member

1st April and I am STILL living in my PUP. 6 months now! I am still to have my new house started. Land title holding things up. We have been promised Title this month. Then it is all go go go with the build. I will be lucky to be in by Christmas.
    Still holding up well living in the PUP in the driveway of my Mother's house.

18. ptthefanman

ptthefanman Member

Glad things are going well. Hope you can start building soon! Any chance you can share the plans + possible pics of your headboard design? When my DW + i camp we enjoy reading in bed + a foldable head board sounds like just the ticket! does it fold down under the mattress? please explain! Thanks!

19. goody59

goody59 Member

I didn't do plans. I will measure it up and get back to you. Basically it is the width of the bed between the aluminium edging. I used edged white melamine board. Edged on sides and top. I just used two hinges to attach the board to flood of bed ply with screws. One edge when headboard folded up and rested on the steel bed frame for canvas. The other end I just used some nylon rope attached to frame and to the headboard in a drilled hole with a knot tied to prevent headboard over extending when up. The whole thing just folds flat down on ply of bunk end and mattress goes over the top. Everything else squares away just fine in a pack up. The headboard has made life so much easier for our long term stay in the PUP.

20. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Goody. Are you saying nothing has been done concerning the house for 6 months out of a 12 month build? Was that planned? How are you dealing with the delay? It would be driving me nuts.