camping in the rain

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Ben Wade, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Ben Wade

Ben Wade Member

Ok so we're going to East harbor state park with our kids "5 and 8" in our popup this weekend for 4 days. It is supposed to really rain the whole time. 60-80% chance every day!

Couple of questions...

1. would you just not go period? Or would you go?

2. (this is a strange one) since it will probably be raining the whole time we most likely will not be able to have a fire too often or at least it will be harder to have one. So, would/could we possibly use our cast iron dutch oven under our canopy for a small, isolated fire for the kids (smores)? Like literally put the wood and firestarters in the dutch oven to have a little fire. Our only concern would be ruining the inside of the dutch oven. But that's about it....Has anyone done this or heard of this?

I think we're still going to go because it'll be an adventure. We might also just a hotel though [LOL]

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Go, last 2 trils i took was 80 percent chance of rain for the whole week. It didnt rain at all. Both times. Smores over the stove. Or just make the fire a bit outside your awning.

Alan, xxxapache and Indiobravo like this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Give it a try, camping in the rain can be lots of fun and very enjoyable. I never change my plans, (if i do the changes are usually worse that the initial idea) Good Luck and happy Camping

myride and kcsa75 like this.
  4. PathfinderESP

PathfinderESP New Member

We are off for 4 days tomorrow to Harper's Ferry WV on our 2nd trip ever
    60-80% chance of rain most days but then that's a 20-40% chance of no rain.
    More board games and books than otherwise and hope it rains on and off.
    Towards Tues/Wed we might be getting the remnants of the hurricane so expecting wet then
    How windy before you all call it quits in a pop-up?

5. Ben Wade

Ben Wade Member

Everyone! thanks for the replies! We are definitely going and giving it a shot! I read 50mph is the limit for popup wind camping, and even that's probably pretty scary but Idk. We've never had bad winds so far.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

There stronger then they look. Lol.

7. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

I love the sound of the rain on the camper roof. I say go for it. As long as it's not pouring (or thunder and lightning) they can play in the rain. Have fun whatever you decide.

Milemaker13 and Strawhouse like this.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Get some cheap rain ponchos for the kids, bring extra towels and clothes. There is something wonderful about walking through the woods after a rain - even if the dry spell lasts only 30 minutes.

Smores - use the campstove as mentioned above.

Embrace the weather and don't worry about it.

Milemaker13, AMC and Strawhouse like this.
  9. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

When reenacting we’ve had fires that were mostly floating. One can get a campfire started in the rain, just have a goodly supply of wood to, keep it burning enough to stay dry. Use plenty of old wax candles to get it started.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  10. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

IMG_0018.JPG Camping in the rain no problem. This was a problem.

wusthof, AMC, jonkquil and 4 others like this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don’t mind camping in the rain.What I do mind is setting up and tearing down in the rain. If I had a trip that had a good potential of rain on arrival and departure, I would retool my loadout and meals to favor quick setup/packing. I have had to pack up in the rain with a fair amount of gear, and it sucks. However, for me I get the most enjoyment out of camping when I do bring the kitchen sink, so to speak. I enjoy it much less when I don’t have my full outside kitchen setup, or shelving inside and extra storage/organization for clothes and gear. Around here I am more the anamoly than the norm in that respect though.

If you don’t bring enough gear to outfit a scout troop and feed them, then you will probably be fine!

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I will just add that I’ve roasted marshmallows over the stove and even regular candles. At home I used my Little Smokey joe charcoal Grill as a fire pit. I personally wouldn’t want to use my Dutch oven as a fire pit, then again I’m very particular with mine. One of my most memorable trips was when it poured for three days straight. Then again it was just me and my dogs. I went hiking and saw waterfalls I normally wouldn’t see on a nice day. The trails that would normally have been crazy busy had only a few others on it. I personally own a rain suit so I was nice and dry. Rain ponchos are Decent but worthless in the wind.
    Now what I really hate about rain is closing up in it and if it’s going to be storming with wind you will have to probably put your awning away. Which is a huge pain when the camper is all set up. My little sidekick HATES the rain and Mud and refuses to step foot outside if it’s raining. So if your kids are like that it may not be as fun for them. I grew up playing outside in all kinds of weather so rain doesn’t faze me. If you camp with water hookups and your camper doesn’t have an outside shower I would buy a y adapter for the spickot so you can add a separate hose to wash dirty body’s before going into the camper.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We use the charcoal starter chimney as a camp fire. Starts quick, smores, hot dogs, sit around it for heat, dump it in the fire pit when finished.

14. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

The week prior to July 4th this year we were camping and it rained a few times. My 3 kids went out and rode their bikes all over in it and had a great time. They did that as long as there was no thunder or lightning anyway. Like said above, puzzles, books, board games, and crafts are always good to have along. We have a cabinet just for those things abd it's usually overflowing.
    I would never build a fire inside my dutch ovens...I take really good care of them so that would be quite the opposite. A charcoal chimney would be a great option. We have a small galvanized bucket (@3/4 gallon size?) That we've made little fires in just under the edge of the canopy just for smores in the rain. I drilled a few holes in the bottom and sides for air flow. Wish I'd have thought about the chimney before I got the bucket since I already had that lol.

15. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Go camping....get a propane fire pit and have fun. Make the most of it.

16. McSkippy

McSkippy Member

You can have a campfire in the rain. You can't have a campfire during a fire ban.

17. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

You can have a propane campfire during a fire ban usually though! (We have one from when every whiff of wood smoke gave a kid an asthma attack.)

myride likes this.
  18. myride

myride Well-Known Member

....and no headache of wet wood or flare-up.....I've used mine under my canopy for granddaughters s'mores during wet weather.

19. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

How did the trip end up? It was quite a rainy and chilly weekend in your area.

20. Moo

Moo New Member

We took our poo up camping in March near Pueblo, Colorado. We just had the itch and wanted to get out. It was in the 30's and 40's (Fahrenheit) and the wind was gusting to 50-60 mph. It wasn't terrible. It was loud and the camper shook. But we played cards and ran the furnace along with a small electric heater. Obviously, we were in an RV park at that time of year. I wouldn't want to do it often but it is a fun memory for my wife and I.