camping in the rain

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by dwas3, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dwas3

dwas3 New Member

no leaks, did the driveway thing it absolutey poured the first time i set it up. no leaks:)
    any how we will have fun no matter what.

2. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I would go. Even if it does rain, it won't rain the entire time. Our last trip it rained, it rained a lot but when the rain stopped, ahhh, the campground seemed to come alive. The sights and smells were so invigoratingly alive.

3. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

I would still go...unless really high winds and damaging thunderstorms were a probability.
    A rainy day camping is still camping!
    :)

4. trooper1

trooper1 New Member

Great question, and glad to see the answers. Wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago, cuz we canceled because of rain...can get dicey fast in Texas with flash floods and thunderstorms. And since we're newbies, we chickened out. [A] Good to know we won't melt under the canvas. [:D]

5. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

Every trip to Codorus SP leads to the obligatory stop at the Utz factory store!

6. dpwelsher

dpwelsher New Member

Rainy is great sleeping weather

7. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

Camping in the rain is still better than being at work when the weather's good. [:D]

8. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

We left the house last fri night in the rain for our maiden voyage in our NTU pup. The rain had stopped by the time we got there and the rest of the weekend was sunny even though there was a 30% chance of rain on sat.

9. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

This past weekend the weatherman was calling for 40-60% chances of rain fri/sat/sun/mon. Several of the days were 1-2 millimeters. I kept checking the radar and saw that they were wide-spread, spotty showers - no real 100 mile wide blobs of green so we went for it.

Result= ONE 2hr storm overnight friday at about 3am and one 2 minute sunshower sunday afternoon.

What would we have missed if we had stayed home?
    -Brilliant fall colours
    -Patches of crisp blue sky broken up by puffy white clouds
    -Excellent campfires
    -numerous card games
    -DO Peach cobbler

Glad we went for it!

10. treesandbees

treesandbees New Member

^^^ditto - forecast this past weekend was 40-60% rain, so we just made sure to pack our rain gear/ponchos. Ended up barely raining late Friday night. Had a great weekend (well, after we fixed our SPUTs, the broken wheel dolly, and the campground fixed their sewer system....)

11. packofwises

packofwises New Member

GOOOOOO!!! We have a 30% chance this weekend and we are still going. We also tent camped in the rain this past summer. Wasn't bad until it started storming and then I worried. I wouldn't worry about it in the PUP. Have fun, if it isn't storming let the kids play in the rain. It's good for them. Helps them grow!

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have yet to ever change a plan because of a weather forecast. So far in 2012 I think it has rained at least once every trip out. But in 2011/2010/2009 out of all the trips, which would average somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 to 60 nights per year, we hardly had rain during any of them. That was a great 3 season period. You have to take the good with the bad. Mother Nature may be paying me back this year. Anyone wanna talk "snow"?

13. dwas3

dwas3 New Member

got my sight reserved for this weekend at deer run campground in gardners pa. just north of hanover. will post a report when we return!

14. jeffandeb

jeffandeb New Member

go [PUC] [TV]

15. strangebird22

strangebird22 Member

As you can tell from my signature, we've had our share
    of rain while camping. But it has never ruined a single
    trip. We just dont let it [{}=]+ [PU]= :)

16. trooper1

trooper1 New Member

Rain is falling onto our canvas as I type...one drawback, it's keeping me awake!

17. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

We've had rain to some degree on 80% of the camping trips we've taken over the last two years. One of the main reasons we got the pup was to get up off the ground in the rain.

Labor day weekend, sunday night at Rocky Gap, we had a gully washer overnight. We were dry and happy. Poor girls in a tent at the next site bolted to their car and left. They hadn't returned by the time we rolled out late monday morning.

18. ncwild

ncwild New Member

We love camping in the rain. The sound of rain on the canvas is comforting. It also cools things down, and the light is actually better for photography (no shadows). We often hike in the local parks here when it rains, and one of the benefits is that often, we have the whole park to ourselves.

19. turborich

turborich Active Member

I knew it was going to be raining the entire time that we went to Southern Utah a couple of months back. I knew my roof didn't leak on the pup and I was going no matter what. Yep, it rained a whole bunch but still better than staying at home!

20. NotRufnIt

NotRufnIt Total PuP Noobs! But Gettin' Better!

Our maiden voyage with the pup we were deluged almost immediately after putting it up. Here, in the southwest, our summer rains start in July and end in Sept so for much of the camping season things get damp. We Love It!!! After years of tent camping in the rain, a bit unpleasant, we enjoy the change of being of the ground, out of the water with the sound of the rain on the roof. Our solar awning lights got a bit fried during the last storm but they just need new recharged batteries. Camping in the rain, once you get set up, is amazing!