Camping in the south vs north.

mainahman

All the worlds indeed a stage
Oct 2, 2009
We're In the process of moving to the middle Tennessee area, as my job requires it. We will be arriving the last weekend in June. How does camping differ from what were used to up here in Maine? First trip in may usually, last trip in late September early October with furnace. What kind of things should I be aware of? Trailer is wired for AC but no AC currently. Thoughts from any southern members? Also looking for good campgrounds a couple hours from the Nashville area on a body of kayak able water. Work office is in franklin, will be living within 40 minutes of that in some direction. We're going down in April to house shop and visit all my colleges in that office.

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
You might want to send a PM to Travelhoveler. He is a former park ranger who lives in TN. He used to post a lot but hasn't so much lately. I'm sure he can give you all the info you'd ever need.

mainahman

Oct 2, 2009
The trailers wired for it at least. I noticed the spot and wrong labeled AC when I was winterizing. I'd imagine that's the only way il get my girls to camp. We've never needed it here. We always just shed our blankets down to a sheet, opened the windows a bit to let the breeze in and used the roof fan.

froggie

Sep 2, 2012
AC is a must for us for summer nights. We also use PUGS to keep bunkends cool when temps are around 100.

yetavon

everything is better around a campfire.
Mar 11, 2010
Western NC
We moved to WNC in 85, and added a camper with AC last year, and it comes in handy a few times a year....

shfd739

Apr 16, 2011
mainahman said:
Do you really think we would need AC?

Youll want the AC. Summer highs in the 90s and summer nights in the 80s at times plus humidity. Nashville is close to heading to the Gulf Coast to camp and youll need AC there if you want to be comfortable. I grew up in Mobile AL and have family in North Alabama and we needed the AC in the summer and at times year round.

Plus to your new area is youll be able to camp year round!

mainahman

Oct 2, 2009
If I can really camp year round I'd be soooo happy!. What about water lines? It still gets below 32...

shfd739

Apr 16, 2011
mainahman said:
If I can really camp year round I'd be soooo happy!. What about water lines? It still gets below 32...

If the day warms above 32 you can just disconnect the water supply hose at night/open the low drains then reconnect in the morning. If it stays under 32 day and night then youll have to water from a jug.

An example is next weekend's Nashville forecast. Its perfect camping weather with no worry of freezing. Its like that most of the winter in the south.

campman22

Jul 29, 2013
hello mainahman we live north of knoxvillie tn we like camping at cove lake but is about 3 or 4 hours from nashvillie [PU]

ricko

Apr 6, 2009
Nashville, TN
Welcome from Nashville!

To the east - there are several campgrounds near the Caney Fork river (Long Branch, Rock Island, Edgar Evans), to the west are areas around the Buffalo River. There's also the Duck river (not too familiar with camping along it).

For day trips, the Harpeth River runs in Franklin and along the west side of Nashville - the area around the river is developed so there's not much camping, but there are several put-ins along the river and an active paddling community.

Oh, the summer weather around here is hot and very humid - you need to very seriously consider the AC unit. In the heat of the summer it is not unusual to have overnight lows in the upper 80s with 60+ % humidity. You can walk out at 10:00 into very thick air and feel wet in seconds.

And - the culture around here is VERY friendly and open... I hear it might be a little different than Maine

See you around!

Ricko

mainahman

Oct 2, 2009
Thanks all! I guess ill look into Ac for sure! Anyone know what an install of one of those runs? Cove lake, ill have to look into that! If its a week long vacation, then that distance is fine. Were used to 1-2 hours each way here to camp by a nice lake or body of water, so thats fine for a weekend trip. Heck ill be under 5 hours from Bristol :) I may camp alone year round, as the girls wont like it too cold, but the idea of camping year round, and not having feet and feet of snow to contend with makes me giddy!

mainahman

Oct 2, 2009
Thanks! Were heading down in April to do some sight seeing in Nashville, and to house shop, so we will have a place to dump the moving trailer come June :)

mainahman

Oct 2, 2009
Anyone know if Pop Ups need to be registered? here they do, and i have to do it in may....which is irritating as i wont get that money back in June when we move...

4Powells

May 6, 2013
No AC would definitely cut us back on some summer trips. I echo the high humidity of Summer. We love our AC. I think you will find it will be money well spent.

dcfan99

Oct 7, 2012
Greetings from Franklin!

Popups do not have to be registered in TN. I do register mine but you don't have to.

There is a ton of great camping around Middle TN. There are multiple campgrounds around Land Between the lakes, there are several state campgrounds on the TN river an hour and a half west, several State campgrounds and Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds on the lakes to the East (Center Hill), Fall Creek Falls to the east, the Smokies to the east (about 3 hours) and Mammoth Cave to the North (about 1.5 hours). For summer camping you will definitely need AC in the lower elevations, but I camp about 20 days in the smokies every summer and NEVER use AC. (Natl parks do not have hookups anyway). Your camping season will definitely be extended from where you live now, but you will not be able to camp year round. We have had quite a bit of snow and ice this year, with temps in the single digits and negative wind chills. Nothing like what you are used to, but not 12 months. You could easily camp in this area from March to November with no problem.

Edited to add - the Ocoee river in Eastern TN is less than 2 hours from here. That is where they held the Olympic kayaking events when the Olympics were in Atlanta. There's a lot of water around here, you will definitely be in your element!

Welcome to the area, I love living here.

mainahman

Oct 2, 2009
Thank you for the warm welcome! Ill have to call a dealer once i arrive to get a quote on what it will cost to have one put on. Im assuming since Kentucky is so close, and other states within hours of the Franklin area, id need tags there? Is there a permanent tag option just to be safe, or am i good there? I will definitley be writing these places down! Heck i love to bass fish, and i hear there's plenty for me to catch down in that area. Not sure what area our new home will be in as were coming down in april to view a bunch on my vacation. I work for UL workplace health and Safety, right down on Meridian blvd in Franklin, but i know i cant afford to live in Franklin. Really looking at Old Hickory, Mt Juliet, Smyrna, La vergne, and chapel hill. Few other places, but all within a 40 minute drive of Franklin. For camping were used to at least an hour to the campground so thats no biggie! As long as we can kayak, i can fish, canoe, kayak and swim then were happy!

dcfan99 said:
Greetings from Franklin!

Popups do not have to be registered in TN. I do register mine but you don't have to.

There is a ton of great camping around Middle TN. There are multiple campgrounds around Land Between the lakes, there are several state campgrounds on the TN river an hour and a half west, several State campgrounds and Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds on the lakes to the East (Center Hill), Fall Creek Falls to the east, the Smokies to the east (about 3 hours) and Mammoth Cave to the North (about 1.5 hours). For summer camping you will definitely need AC in the lower elevations, but I camp about 20 days in the smokies every summer and NEVER use AC. (Natl parks do not have hookups anyway). Your camping season will definitely be extended from where you live now, but you will not be able to camp year round. We have had quite a bit of snow and ice this year, with temps in the single digits and negative wind chills. Nothing like what you are used to, but not 12 months. You could easily camp in this area from March to November with no problem.

Edited to add - the Ocoee river in Eastern TN is less than 2 hours from here. That is where they held the Olympic kayaking events when the Olympics were in Atlanta. There's a lot of water around here, you will definitely be in your element!

Welcome to the area, I love living here.