Camping is Essential Biz...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by paepae805, Apr 7, 2020.

1. paepae805

paepae805 Member

I live in Wisconsin and saw yesterday that camping is considered essential business in Wisconsin. A local privately owned campground opened April 1 per the norm. They have a few traveling nurses and medical personal staying plus a few full timers. I am hoping the county campgrounds follow suit and open when they are advertised. If so, we are camping in 3 weekends. Just my wife and I and we will use the facilities in our PUP and not use the bathrooms if they were open. The sites at our favorite county park are huge so we don't have to worry about social distancing.

Kind of cautiously excited that camping season may start on time without a hitch. We will see.

Rempop, DandLBack, BBQdave and 2 others like this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Most, if not all, public campgrounds in NM are closed. If I read the yesterday's new closure regs, private campgrounds must drop to 25% capacity from 50%. Many full timers, and snowbirds stranded in the south, are stuck for places to stay, since campgrounds have been closed out from under them. Add in medical folks trying to stay separate from families, and sites much be in extremely short supply.

3. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

State park campgrounds are closed here through April 30 at least. I'm hoping they are open by end of June. That's when my first trip is scheduled.

I think private campgrounds are non essential, so they are closed as well.

4. paepae805

paepae805 Member

What state do you live in? I was shocked to see the article and interview from the campground that opened April 1 no more than 10 miles from my home. The county campground that is considered our home base is still on target for April 24 per their website. Like I said, I am cautiously optimistic we may be camping by months end here in Northeast Wisconsin.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Crap loaded down tight here in 'ol Virginny til June 10th, guess it could change; warm here, so guess it's hard for people to keep from getting stupid & acting likes it's a perpetual spring break, lost 3 reservations already, it is what it is...keeping my eyes crossed...

6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

By gosh you can still golf though

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Here in MN all the State Park campgrounds are closed, but so are the state forests, including dispersed camping. I'm not sure about private campgrounds, most of them aren't open, or would just be opening now.

Our first scheduled trip is to Gooseberry Falls SP in May. I'm starting to doubt that would happen. Our "big" trip this year is supposed to be Great Smokey Mountain NP in July. We also have a trip to Clear Lake SP in Iowa over the 4th scheduled. At this point I'm hoping for, but not counting on, any of these to actually happen.

The CV numbers are still going in the wrong direction, and so many people want to believe it's either a hoax are overblown and aren't social distancing.

8. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Funny how the states vary regarding essential services. Camping is essential in Wisconsin, but not in Michigan. Liquor is essential in Michigan but not Pennsylvania. Hair salons are essential in Arizona (although I hear that the governor's wife has financial interest in more than one salon in the Phoenix area, so that might have something to do with it). My first long trip was planned for early June in Ohio. Hoping that works out, but the boss has given us the ability to modify the vacation schedules.

9. tfischer

So much politics at play. If only the federal government would provide some stronger leadership here. Three of MN's border states have not yet done an official lockdown.

kcsa75 likes this.
  10. Rik Peery

State governors should be able to figure it out w/out the Feds being a baby sitter, not sure a "national lockdown" would do anything; "we the people" are the stupid ones, regardless of what the state or Fed officials mandate...

11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

If you are out for some exercise in MI, then driving to it is OK. Yes it is confusing and we certainly could use a federal standard or guidance since this virus does not care for your border or politics. Oh well.

kcsa75 and eoleson1 like this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. They closed everything here in our state because people are still gathering. Now Our Walmart (an essential business) was absolutely crazy busy because everyone was hanging out there instead. I'm worried they're going to close stores next because people can't be responsible and listen to authority and stay home. I get you need to get supplies, but don't "hang out" don't wander the store chit chatting at a slow saunter. Get in and get out. Don't get me started on it's parking lot. Family's parked their cars in a circle in the middle of the parking lot chatting, and kids running around like it was a playground. Grrr.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. Rik Peery

14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Not here in Onondaga County, NY. Our county executive has shut down all golf courses because of hundreds of complaints about people not socially distancing this weekend.

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how this impacts the full-time people. Where are they staying? Are there dump stations where they can unload grey/black water tanks?

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have seen some yoi tube bloggs, some are beeing kicked and bonced about. Others can stay if there allready at the campground. Still others are wondering. Not real good for them.

17. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Yep, local course has been busier every nice day than I've ever seen it.
    But all state campgrounds and some state parks are closed.

18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I am hoping along with you @paepae805 - my first reservation is May 1... as long as they don’t prolong the closure. The only public facility I would need is the dump station on my way out.

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

From what I've seen on some of the FB pages, they are searching at times, as campgrounds close out from under them. In part, it depends on how the regs in an area are written and interpreted. In some places, those already camped may stay there, to shelter in place. Others may take new people for a minimum stay of shelter-in-place, as long as the RVers self-quarantine for 14 days. The campground in AZ where I was to stay in for a SOTF event was listing that they would take RVers on a month-to-month lease for shelter in place.
    AZ state parks still seem to be open, NM's are closed.
    We have not yet dewinterized and sanitized our water system in the small TT, here in ABQ. We're almost at the end of hard freeze season, so we could do that. Since I'm using it as an alternate sewing space, it's good for me to get a few extra steps to come into the house for bathroom and snacks. We have a KOA three miles away, but I'm not sure how they're doing the dump station now, maybe calling, paying over the phone, or something.
    If one of us had to isolate, the TT would have to be our option, the way our house is set up there really isn't another without massive moving of furniture, etc. We already jammed some things into one of the extra rooms, so that my husband has more space to work from home. We can eke out 8 or so nights on the waste tanks in the trailer, but that's using campground toilets. We'd have to tow the trailer to the KOA about once a week, or find a local business that pumps out RVs, there isn't a way to dump at the house. (We'd have to buy a macerator system, and the sewer clean out is a good 60-70' from the trailer.)

20. tfischer

Doesn't have to be a national lockdown, but the guidance at the federal level has been "inconsistent" at best. And that's putting it politely to avoid getting into politics.

(Just to be clear, I'm nothing close to a liberal, but I tend to call things as I see them)

James Rucker and Rik Peery like this.