Camping is Essential Biz...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by paepae805, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying, any time Feds are mentioned I think of Kent State & other cluster bangs over the years; listening to the med experts then setting up guidelines they recommend would indeed be more palatable...

tfischer likes this.
  2. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

In PA it gets worse daily. State parks only hike and fish with no bathroom. National rec area no backcountry camping, canoe or kayak camp. National forest no camp no backpacking trips only hike or fish.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

You know, at some point we have to get back to normal society. And I'm seeing folks doing that here in my part of NC.

I like to ride the Tobacco Trail. Get out there 3 times a week. This past week, not crowded or people gathering... but I did see some groups of teens riding bikes and meeting up off trail to hang out and talk. They're not causing trouble, just meeting up to hang out.

On my way to the Tobacco Trail, there's a new diner being built. It's not finished, so the business owner has a food trailer that sells burgers, fries - diner food. This is out in the country, where some new neighborhoods are being built. Lots of construction workers, trade workers, contractors gather around this diner - trailer. They hang out eating and talking with each other, definitely not social distancing.

Not trying to start a flame war here, but I think most of us had in mind 2 weeks to a month of stay at home, which will flatten the curve and allow supply and resource build up - then back to normal.

It boggles my mind to think of stay at home lasting through June. If we have the medical supplies and resources, we gotta get society going again. Right now, I'm looking at Sweden and their data. They are supplied, isolating folks at risk, and the rest of their society is going as normal.

Hoping May is restart of U.S. society, it's time.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Even though I'm in a higher risk group (over 65, with some medical issues, including some damage from the bout of pleurisy which hit me out of the blue a few years back) I'm looking forward to normalcy. We've made reservations for our October trip, which is a positive. I have a Sisters on the Fly trip still on the calendar for the second week of June, although the one at the end of March was a no-go. Because of Courtenay's work travel schedule - all trips now canceled or postponed - our main camping trips were already planned for August and October
    We're dutifully wearing masks if we have to go somewhere. They have cut down on store capacity for the essential ones that are open, to 20% ( 5 people per 1000 sq ft), so Courtenay did the grocery shopping alone today. Usually, we both go, and make up some menus on the fly, which is good training these days when things can be out of stock.

We're blessed to be able to have a pretty normal life these days, for much of it. No in-person church, gym class by Zoom, no sewing or going to lunch with my friend, no quick trips for quilt supplies or such. OTOH, I've already got one quilt almost made from fabrics I already had, have a couple more in the queue, and not made a dent in the stash.
    Courtenay has been working from home for 3 weeks, and it looks like it will be at least another 3 weeks before they're allowed to go back to the office. I actually like having him home, even though he's working away in the back bedroom. I still see him on and off during the day. [It was a treat to have him home to help corral the first lizard invader of the year, and the cats in pursuit.] He's maintaining his usual work hours and days off, so still has a three day weekend every other week.
    Spring is really here in ABQ, and I have a nice view out the front window, while sewing or computing. Our native plants are beginning to bloom in the yard, and I have heard hummingbirds a couple of times today, though have yet to see one. The TT lives in the driveway, so I can spend time in it too.

5. justwork

justwork Active Member

Couldn't disagree more.

The United States has over 600,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Spain is second, Spain has 180,000. In the Province I live in we basically locked it down after a couple local cases, and just our Province is on pace to be something close to normal by mid summer MAYBE. Other Provinces who were slow to react are looking at November if they can get things under control now. My Province has 116 confirmed cases with 60 recovered. So to think that May to "restart U.S. society is a good idea or even remotely possible... Pipe dream.

Where I live secondary school was cancelled over a month ago, for the year. Canada had 1 million people lose their jobs last month. 1 million people in a country of 37.5 million thats over 2.7% of the entire country instantly not having work in 1 month. I am unemployed, I'm 40 with 3 kids and a wife. This is the first time I have ever been unemployed since I was 20.

Stay at home, stay safe, lets get this thing curbed. The COVID wave is a big one, if it's not stopped the bigger wave right behind it is a global recession that will make the 30's look booming.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. tarawes8182

tarawes8182 New Member

It blows my mind how different this is state to state. Here in AZ we are taking our PUP out for the first trip of the year this week. Campgrounds and recreation is considered essential. In fact, it was almost near impossible to find a spot to camp. Now, I'm only talking about the state parks/trails and not private campgrounds. I have heard that the National Forest (Coconino, Prescott, Tonto) have closed and locked gates along the highway to deter people from dispersed camping but can't confirm. Wasn't about to drive 2 hours to find out.

BLM land is still open around here as well, but I've hear it's close to max capacity as full timers are trying to find places to hunker down. It'll be interesting to see how many big rigs I see when we set up this weekend. Either way, I'm just glad to get out of the house for a little bit. We are lucky here in AZ (valley) where the weather is in the high 70's low 80's so don't have to drive too far.

Good luck to everyone getting back out there. Hope you all stay safe!!

7. Fishin' Musician

Fishin' Musician New Member

Now is NOT the time, & let me tell you that the attitudes & lack of constant thoughts is the downfall of any progression with this. This is no joke, actions like gathering around a food truck & socializing are what’s going to prolong this thing. It’s not ending when it’s convenient for the economy... This is a global pandemic, and is extremely serious. Quite frankly, the way the US is handling this is a complete head-shaker in the eyes of the world... What about the seriousness of this is it that you don’t get? In two weeks, the US has lost the most to this nasty disease & the way it’s going it’s just the tip of the iceberg... Just when did the US become the global laughingstock? At first it was amusing to the rest of the world, I’m afraid that now it’s just sad, as masses of innocent people are being put at risk, just because of a few people’s pride.
    It’s really sad. I’d be surprised if anything’s back to normal in 2020.
    Especially the way everyone is treating this so differently and “Willy-nilley”. There is no focus and leadership when you need it most.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    justwork and kcsa75 like this.
  8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

The southern rural area where we live nothing seems different other than what’s closed. Only 10 cases in the whole county and everyone is ready to get back....at least those who still have jobs. According to the CDC, this virus will never go away and social distancing was put in place so as not to overload hospitals at the outbreak. Well the local hospitals here are empty and laying off workers and everyone is ready to get back going. It seems if most people try to do their best to follow CDC guidelines, we’ll be fine. Especially since there are treatments now and if you practice good hygiene, the odds are heavily in your favor.
    I think most Americans know that staying home till virus is gone is not reasonably feasible. Those with underlying conditions should do their due diligence to protect themselves but their lives are not more important than mine. I need my job in order to provide and take care of my family.

BBQdave likes this.
  9. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

You have a lot more cases there than 10, and its that way where ever you reside in north America. Testing has been dismal. In Mississippi the rate of hospitalization was high, something like 20%. Your hospital will not do well with case load like that,,,, or maybe I should say that the patients will be the ones to suffer.. Treatments and been poor and plenty of people who were healthy 6 months ago, have died. Go figure.

10. Skina

Skina New Member

I'm in So Cal and everything is closed here. I have reservations for July and it has not been cancelled. So keeping my fingers crossed. Getting a spot at the beach is like winning the lottery.

11. DandLBack

DandLBack New Member

King County WA has closed all parks and even all the trails. Can't even go for a WALK.

12. LadyWolf

LadyWolf Member

Texas State Parks are closed. They were originally going to stay open, but people didn't keep to the social distancing rules and the Governor closed them last week. Our county closed the county parks for Easter weekend, but I haven't heard (and can't seem to find) any info if they've been reopened. I wish camping was considered essential in Texas - liquor is, but not camping like it is in some states. Strange how each state has different rules. As far as I know, Galveston beaches are also closed.

There is a lot of talk about re-opening everything very soon, but I hope that it doesn't cause more problems later on. I get it that people need to go back to work but at the same time, I don't believe opening everything back up too soon is a wise choice. I wish there was an easy answer to all of this. :(

kcsa75 likes this.
  13. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

About 1 more month of this is all I'm good for. Can't shut the entire world down every time China sends a new virus our way, which seems to come yearly. This cannot be allowed to be the new norm. Good hygiene and hoping to see things restarted in May. I know I'm restarting in May regardless....

neighbormike and Spartacus like this.
  14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

There is nothing I want more than to get back to normal. I want everybody to realize that when we see other countries numbers (especially in Europe) you have to remember that some of those countries are only the size of some of our states (ie. Sweden is about the size of California). We need to also realize that we may need to be ready for a new normal! Stay safe, wash your hands and do your best to keep that 6 feet between you and others when out and about.

kcsa75 and Spartacus like this.
  15. justwork

justwork Active Member

China
    Population: 1,400,000,000
    Covid cases: 82,000

USA
    Population: 330,000,000
    Covid cases: 640,000

Swing and a miss. Quick, blame WHO.

16. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

The new mutation of this virus has been predicted for 100 years. I'd love to blame China but I can't, because my historical brain kicks in. Those who fail to prepare, are preparing to fail.

I should add that we resided in an apartment building some years ago where a elderly nurse lived. She work at the VA hospital in Chicago during the 1918 Spanish flu. She told us stories about working there on the young soldiers there who were ill with that flue. Many died.

17. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

China absolutely lies about their numbers. It’s probably safe to add a couple of zeros to what they report. But they don’t care, humans are an expendable resource to the CCP.

1380ken and Spartacus like this.
  18. tarawes8182

tarawes8182 New Member

I know I'm fairly new here (in terms of posts, definitely not in terms of info gathered) but I feel like it went a little political. I don't share any of my views as it's a private conversation between me and my TV (insert laughs). Anyway....

Serious question on this post. Has any been stopped and question by police about where they're going while towing/traveling? My DW is a little worried that we may be stopped and intimidated about camping during a social distancing period.

Slight disclaimer... We both work in healthcare so we could always "flash a badge", but we aren't those type of people. We just want to get out of the house, camp, and do a bit of fishing.

Thoughts or experiences? Anything is welcome.

19. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Not to get political but I’ve only heard stories of something like that happening.
    My answer would be short, “none of your business.” There are protections against that type of behaviour.

Spartacus likes this.
  20. Jwwiff

Jwwiff Member