Camping Kitchens! Let’s see ‘em!

Blue411

Jul 4, 2020
Hi all! I am rethinking my camping kitchen situation, and I know there are some folks out there with great set ups! I’m thinking of upgrading to a fish cleaning table with a sink hook up and a camping kitchen from Ozark or Coleman. Trying to get the right set up & ideas are welcome. Right now, I just have a portable Coleman grill and use the picnic table for prep.

Blue411

Jul 4, 2020
Here’s a pic of my current situation- needs work!

Attachments

• 8FA111CF-7812-4234-B215-3032EC7C8B7F.jpeg
    8FA111CF-7812-4234-B215-3032EC7C8B7F.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 366

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
I don't have a picture but I'm using the Mountain Summit Series Table from REI. It's been a solid performer for five years now. My Coleman 2 burner stove sits on that with a tote full of tools underneath. It has a small side table that's better for holding stuff than cutting, chopping, mixing.

I'm still using a small propane grill that was bumper mounted to my current camper and uses the quick connect fitting on my camper. I'm adding a Blackstone griddle as soon as I decide between the 17 and 22.

On longer trips I bring a 20 lb propane tank for the stove and a lantern.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
For me, I believe in simple. So probably not what your looking for. I camp in bear country so can't keep anything related to food out, I also don't want to take the time for a big setup. My brother bought this table for me and the sides pull up and out to make a longer table when I need. Otherwise it tucks nicely between the door and stove when not needed for food prep. When it's time to wash dishes, I pull out a wash tub. Much like I did in my tent camping days or just use my inside sink. I try and find multiple uses for things when I camp. This table is my favorite though. Folds up small for easy storage but expands to be a bigger table when you need to "counter" space. IMG_20200613_100922114.jpg IMG_20191225_214753366.jpg

eajhnsn1

Oct 16, 2019
I built a chuck box last fall which we've used a half dozen times now. It's so much better than the old system of tote-hunting.
5d4_2921.jpg

Details at https://thejohnsonblog.com/2019/10/29/chuck-box/

And then this Spring I built a camp oven, which has also been fantastic.
5d4_7451.jpg

Details at https://thejohnsonblog.com/2020/04/25/camp-oven/ and https://thejohnsonblog.com/2020/05/31/camp-oven-follow-up/.

I started off just setting the chuck box on the picnic table, but lately we've taken a pair of cheap plastic sawhorses to keep our table space free.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We don't use the camp kitchens as such, they are too short for my bad back. We've used, and worn out, a couple of different tables over the years. One of my favorites was a roll top aluminum table that had sliding inserts at the bottom of the legs - it adjusted to counter height, and was good on uneven surfaces. The Coleman pack away tables we have been using have been great, and flexible, but the MDF tops didn't fare well when we packed them in the storage area in the trailer, which gets a lot of road vibration. (The tables bouncing on the sharp corners and edges of each other did the damage.) I've looked at the fish cleaning tables, but opted not to go that way. While we now have on-board water, including a hot water tank, we still use a water jug outside, and a gray water bucket, when we wash and/or cook outside.
I have my eye on a table for next year, this one, or the less expensive Alps version (currently out of stock): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PIRI8...olid=3N3M4U90Y31D0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I like the idea of the chuck boxes, but they are not practical for us - too heavy for me to handle solo, and we don't leave food supplies out between meals. With the pups and first season or so with the TT, all the food supplies were in the tow vehicle. Now we have most in the TT, we carry fewer packaged and dry goods, since we have a fridge and freezer that work well. ETA: for us, having multiple tables makes setting up cooking and sitting areas flexible for different sites. We have maybe 4, generally don't use them all, but we choose by the site, how much we're doing outside, how long we're staying, etc.

flingwing1969

Jul 6, 2013
California Cascade Range
Here's mine. Not for everyone but we often have 30 over for dinner and usually seven or eight so we need prep, cooking and cleanup. We use a two burner stove that is part of a Camp Chef range, and our two burner hi-pressure stove. Everything is outside, under the awning that is expanded with a 29'x25' tarp fastened to the backside of the top with spring clamps and extends out over the back bunk end and supported by defunkt popup shelter corner posts.

We don't use our outside shower so I took the water from those pipes and ran it under the camper using tubing inside PVC pipe so we have hot water at the "sink", just two dishpans, wash and rinse, located on the table with the overhead rack.

50200989372_9df608032a_b.jpg

Eric Young

Sep 27, 2019
Hi all! I am rethinking my camping kitchen situation, and I know there are some folks out there with great set ups! I’m thinking of upgrading to a fish cleaning table with a sink hook up and a camping kitchen from Ozark or Coleman. Trying to get the right set up & ideas are welcome. Right now, I just have a portable Coleman grill and use the picnic table for prep.

Attachments

• D2FBF6AC-944B-4565-ACE4-D858164D49C5.jpeg
    D2FBF6AC-944B-4565-ACE4-D858164D49C5.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 299
  • CA0F3A61-265D-47C8-B85B-30D70D1B1B48.jpeg
    CA0F3A61-265D-47C8-B85B-30D70D1B1B48.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 277
  • ED217770-C857-4E3A-9DDA-DE80D14994FA.jpeg
    ED217770-C857-4E3A-9DDA-DE80D14994FA.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 279

c2sands

Sep 25, 2014
For me, I believe in simple. So probably not what your looking for. I camp in bear country so can't keep anything related to food out, I also don't want to take the time for a big setup. My brother bought this table for me and the sides pull up and out to make a longer table when I need. Otherwise it tucks nicely between the door and stove when not needed for food prep. When it's time to wash dishes, I pull out a wash tub. Much like I did in my tent camping days or just use my inside sink. I try and find multiple uses for things when I camp. This table is my favorite though. Folds up small for easy storage but expands to be a bigger table when you need to "counter" space. View attachment 69878 View attachment 69879
You have a nice brother, that table is perfect beside the door. Have to get that. How sturdy is it? We do all our cooking outdoor, but don’t leave food out. ❤️ how it folds.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
You have a nice brother, that table is perfect beside the door. Have to get that. How sturdy is it? We do all our cooking outdoor, but don’t leave food out. ❤️ how it folds.
. My brother got it from a store called Dicks Sporting not sure if it's sold elsewhere. See attached picture. When folded the dimensions are 3.5"x 21"x 35" so nice and compact but still sturdy enough. The center table is the most sturdy but the side wings can still handle a cutting board and other things. just don't put hot coffee on the wings when trying to chop, or you will have spillage. [:I]
. 16032083851087786517694873495768.jpg

Camp Crazy

Jul 19, 2020
Sorry, this isn't the greatest picture. However, we have a set up very similar to jmkay1, except since our stove is closer to the door, we put the table on the other side. I use an older standard 34" square card table and I love the wider space (and taller height) while I'm cooking pancakes, eggs, bacon, hashbrowns at the same time. I use a large cookie sheet with an even larger one up-side-downtop on top to keep the food warm as I am cooking it- and it doubles as a great serving tray for the meal. The table sits mostly under the awning and right under our outdoor outlet for the coffee maker.

When done eating, I use the camp stove to heat water for dishes (which are done inside at the sink). The outside table is then cleaned off and used to set other things (like a charging phone, flashlights, bug spray/sun screen, etc.). This is our first summer with the camper and this set up has served us very well. We normally camp with 4-5 people (2-3 adults and 2 ten year old boys).

Since we are up in Wisconsin, we are sad to see our camping season done. We were able to get out a dozen times since we bought the camper on June 26th (including this past weekend). We have loved every minute of it and can't wait for next year since we already have 8 trips reserved.

Thank you to everyone on popupportal.com for all the great information and support. I look forward to continuing to learn more from all of you!

Camp Crazy Camp.jpg

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
We set up the following under an EzUp with an RV mat on the ground:
  1. Lifetime tailgating table for our Cuisinart Pro Chef’s grill and prep area. https://www.samsclub.com/p/4-foot-t...bles&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300001281405
  2. Coleman high stand for our Camp Chef Ranger III stove (3 burners). https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-High-Stand-20-25-18-75/dp/B0009PUPUG
  3. Rio Brand Campers kitchen for the dishwashing station set up by outdoor shower. This is not set up under EzUp. http://www.campingstation.com/campers-kitchen-folding.html
  4. GCI Outdoor Compact Camp Table 20’ for the toaster by the Aliner’s outdoor outlet. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...V1x6tBh3hOAUhEAQYAiABEgKw7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

groffster

Jul 1, 2016
For me, I believe in simple. So probably not what your looking for. I camp in bear country so can't keep anything related to food out, I also don't want to take the time for a big setup. My brother bought this table for me and the sides pull up and out to make a longer table when I need. Otherwise it tucks nicely between the door and stove when not needed for food prep. When it's time to wash dishes, I pull out a wash tub. Much like I did in my tent camping days or just use my inside sink. I try and find multiple uses for things when I camp. This table is my favorite though. Folds up small for easy storage but expands to be a bigger table when you need to "counter" space. View attachment 69878 View attachment 69879

That table looks really nice. I have done some searching but I can't find one like that. Do you know the make/model?