Camping lanterns and stoves

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by Lanternman, Aug 21, 2017.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The nite is my favorite time. I don't wish to lite it up.

bob barnes, Dback2k4 and kcsa75 like this.
  2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I generally take a Coleman 426 3 burner stove & 3-5 Coleman lanterns. I have a small collection of them so I rotate thru them throughout the season....My favorites are a 237 & 639 kerosene lanterns, & a couple of 242s.

Lanternman likes this.
  3. rich2

rich2 Active Member

Have used a Coleman white gas stove for over 40 years, in fact I still use the one my father used when I was a small child. Since that time I have acquired three or four more, not sure why, but the prices were right. Also have several white gas lanterns, nothing brings back memories of past trips then the whoosh, and sounds of a Coleman white gas lantern.

retiredmikey likes this.
  4. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Be careful, the memories these things bring back and that 'whoosh' sound can get you into big trouble. I recall about a year and a half ago, saying "love these old lanterns, I could see myself with a dozen or so different ones." I stopped counting at 100.o_O

Orchid and rich2 like this.
  5. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Interesting thread, thanks you all. No, hauling lanterns, fuel, funnels, mantles, extra matches, etc... isnt practical versus flipping a switch on a much more efficient LED or screwing a bottle onto a stove. Guess we all enjoy different things, and who cares as long as were outside, right?

retiredmikey and NMroamer like this.
  6. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

We had a two burner coleman propane camping stove and a white gas coleman two mantle lantern and a coleman dual fuel hiking stove. They have been with us since the 1980's and still preform like new. Just need a little TLC and they are ready to use.

7. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

I have not converted from using white gas appliances when I camp. Use a 1967 Coleman 3 burner stove and usually two lanterns from the 60's through the 90's out of my collection on each trip. There's something about the sound of the gpa that sounds like camping to me.

Lanternman likes this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We seldom use our Coleman lanterns anymore, we have a white gas and a propane one. I prefer the white gas, we bought the LP for one trip when white gas was prohibited by stringent fire restrictions. (Haven't run into ones quite that strict again.) We just don't stay up late enough to use them, except for occasional early/late season trips, when it gets dark very early.
    I like the Coleman white gas stoves we have too, though these days we're cooking inside the TT more than we ever expected. We take the stove on most trips, though.
    We have a whole bunch of LED lanterns, flashlights, etc., but for some settings, nothing beats the Coleman.

retiredmikey likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We have a 4-mantle propane lantern that I got as a spiff at work a few years ago, a small worthless LED lantern and three or four old-time kerosene lanterns that DW wanted for decoration.
    Being the nostalgic type myself, I considered buying a white gas or duel fuel lantern, but l don't use any of what I have that often so have resisted the urge to spend the money.
    Like Tombiasi, I like the night and don't feel the need for a lot of light. We fill the kerosene lanterns with citronella to keep the bugs away in the summer. [:)C]

10036310.jpg

Lanternman and bob barnes like this.
  10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I just ordered these 4-pack lanterns from AMAZON for around $18 and that included the AA batteries haha...

Just got a chance to use them this last week with a four hour power failure here at the house... You pull up on the top to allow more light to escape the housing.

Think these are going to do real good for camping off-grid for me...

We also have a couple of the kerosene lanterns like KCSA75 is showing. When Tent Camping I love to hang one of these on each side of the camp turned down low all night. This then shows a shadow on the tent fabric when two legged or four legged things came walking through the camp site at night...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We hang the "inside outside" stove outside most of the time and cook there, but I always bring our coleman white gas stove along as a secondary. Comes in very handy when we do a big breakfast of eggs, sausage/bacon, and pancakes, along with perc'd coffee and hot water for clean-up. We used to do it all on one stove and had to serve things in 'courses'... now we can have it all done at relatively the same time.

I love LEDs and most of our home lights are now LED. But the LED camping lanterns I've seen don't compare to the coleman lanterns... they're either not nearly as bright and have harsh, directional (and usually stark white) light, or they're extremely expensive. And I question how long they would run without a recharge, compared to my coleman and a gallon of fuel (which lasts us all season typically)

As for "not lighting up the night", we don't do it unnecessarily either. But many times we'll play a game outside at night (cards, board game, whatever). And even when doing s'mores, we'll have the Coleman on the picnic table, a ways back from the fire, so you can see all the supplies etc but still have it dark around the fire.

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Most all of our camping is way back in the woods and most often creekside somewhere. Used to never see anyone else camping close but of late we are starting to run across others way back in the woods somewhere.

Find it a good compliment to have a low night light ON all night around our Tent Trailer...

We close everything down when at regular camp sites where lots of folks are at for sure... Most of the street lights are on there as well showing the way to the bath room bldg...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. tfischer

I'm trying to think if we ever camped anywhere that had street lights, beyond the lights on the bathroom building. I can only think of one, and they just had one or two, and I remember making a mental note to never pick a site near them.

One of my favorite things to do is go out for a late evening (11pm-12AM or later) walk around the campground loop, turn my flashlight off, let my eyes adjust to the moon/starlight, and take it all in.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. drglinski

drglinski New Member

If I can't pump it, I don't like to cook on it or let it provide light.

Lanternman likes this.
  15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I use a Coleman Stove that I converted to LP, also can use the LP tank for the grill to, I carry the 20LB tank in a milk crate for stability and the adapter hose usually stays in the grill also the tank can be used on the TT if the one on board gives out of LP. For lighting I use candle lanterns and especially like the citronella ones, The candles give out just enough light that I do not trip over something, I also use them for canoe camping, no noise and the candles last for several trips.

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

There is nothen like the sound and smell of the lantern burning.

Lanternman and xxxapache like this.
  17. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

call coleman parts still available they will tell you what to do. not much there to work on!

Lanternman likes this.
  18. brokenotbroken

brokenotbroken Member

Coleman lanterns and stoves are the best. I just don't like propane bottle appliances. It seems like such a waste to carry small propane bottles and wondering how much fuel they have in them when I can just top off the lantern fount and stove tank before heading out. Knowing that I am still using a lantern built in 1950 and a stove from 1964 is pretty freakin' cool to me. The newest lantern I have is from 1984, which is almost 35 years old now...crazy!

Lanternman and bob barnes like this.
  19. tfischer

Saw a coleman stove go for $4 on a local auction site. Supposedly worked. I had a hard time passing it up but I really don't need another. They are bulletproof and awesome though.

20. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

I finally went to all fuel white gas has just gone through the roof for me. reg gas always available.

Cleaning stoves is simple just take that control valve out a long needle thing comes out clean it put it back and bingo your stove works right!!!