Camping Log Books?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Trackside, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Trackside

Trackside New Member

Anyone have a good log book or template for a log book for their PUP? The family and I went on our first trip and when I was a kid my folks kept a boating log for trips like that.

Any help - even suggestions as to what Q's it should have are appreciated.

Thanks,

2. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I use just a plain old notebook write down the date, who was there, where we went and what we done and what the weather was.

3. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

I have a zippered binder with loose leaf paper so I can add to it. I put the date, price, site # and all the pros/cons and other good site #/ I also put a copy of the park brouchure for future reference.

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We have a blank book (a Moleskine Legendary Notebook) which suits us to a T. We use the first few pages to note specifications (like tire pressure, etc.), then a page or two listing our mods and service (bearings packed date, when we made mods, etc.). Then we use the blank pages to note each of our overnights, where we camped, site number, weather, general notes. At the back we have some lists where we count other a-frames we've seen, and check off how many people came to comment on ours. There's a pocket at the rear for stashing receipts or flyers. Much more versatile than ledger type books, and a future keepsake.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We made our own campground sheet, to be more useful to us than the one logbook we'd seen. We use page protectors for the notebook, and often add campground maps or other information to this sheet. We note things such as good sites, suitable for table canopy or not, tent pads, space for pup, etc.
    Here's what we have on it, minus the blank spaces to write in:

Campground: State:

National Forest: Date(s):

Reservation number: Date made:

Site number: Loop:

Comments, other good sites, etc.:

Nearest town, supplies, etc.:

6. chrisc

chrisc New Member

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I just use a cheap spiral notebook and write whatever I feel like writing. I don't stick to a template or anything. Now I'm feeling inadequate. [;)]

Walmart always has 70 page spirals 10 for $1 in August and I buy a couple of cases of them every year for the kids' school and household use. I keep one in the camper for a journal.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'm like that too, Orchid. I keep a journal, not a log book. I really don't care to record my mileage every time, what every site number was or what facilities were in the CG. (In most cases I'll never be back again because there are so many new places to explore.) I don't always comment on the same things each day. It might be the weather, the neighbors, how I feel about something I did or saw, etc. I use a 5x7 Mead notebook with college ruled paper.

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Why? Your system is more flexible (not to mention cheaper).

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I figure whatever works for you is great - the pre-made books did not work for us as we weren't interested in recording a lot of what they had, and space to record what we wanted was limited. Loose-leaf means we can arrange by state, so it is easier to find a specific campground. DH keeps a separate camping journal, but I pretty much fail at that one.

We do return to campgrounds, most are a base camp for us, we like to continue to explore an area, and revisit trails we have enjoyed. Having some record of campgrounds that we would like to use again is a help, though they sometimes work on them in the meantime and re-number sites or the like.

[With vacation time as a limit, we prefer to get to our base camp and not have to search for a campground after driving 6-8 hours; the logbook helps that. We still do play it by ear at times once we're in an area, but even then have been shut out in recent years; we've had no great desire to boondock with pup or ground tent, backpacking covers that style for us - though Bright Angel CG in Grand Canyon is sort of mind bending - flush toilets!]

11. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I have a log book that goes with us on every trip. It has 3 sections, the first one is a page for every CG we go to, including the map we pick up when we check in. As the weekend goes by, we look at other loops and spots and write down the ones we might want in the future, and also the ones we definitely dont ever want. We mark each that we camp at with a star. The second section is a log of the trip and includes dates, where we were, driving distance and time, and what was good, what was bad. The last section is for maintenance and repair. I write everything I do to the camper and the date it was done. I also keep a folder with all receipts.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

:) I was just joking around. I just keep a journal now for memories more than info.

One day hopefully we have less responsibilities and more money and will be able to travel far and wide. Then I will likely add a second book for informational purposes. I do like the idea of loose leaf and we have half a dozen unused binders in the house.

13. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

I use a 3 ring binder, 1/2 size, and write in it every day, like a journal. I just write what I want to, or can remember happened that day. Site #, cost per night, dates camped,are also included. It goes back to 1993 when we first camped as a family. I also keep a mileage log in it. When we sold our teardrop last August, I was able to tell the new owner how many miles it had been driven.
    I keep a separate binder with campground info in it.

14. CampCrazyMom

CampCrazyMom Member

The timing for this question is perfect! I was looking at some things online & found a family's website with pictures, TV info, and lots & LOTS of documentation. It made me wonder about my camping experiences & what I should do to document them.

My youngest son & I have tent camped for a couple of years. I have a moleskin type journal & we both worked together to write about our trip. We recorded the basics such as where we were, what were the highs & lows, things we wished we'd done differently & what worked or didn't.
    (we also almost always needed to add something on the list of things to bring)

We just bought our first pup & I'm working on getting it camp worthy. I am taking lots of pics of the progress. After seeing the online family's documents I felt like I needed to do something more. They had recorded milage to the CG; gas used & cost; location of the CG, site used & cost; # of days stayed... Wow, I was sure missing the mark here!

During a drive to one of the kid's activities I had time to think & it occured to me, JUST CAMP, BABY!!!

Whatever works for you, that's what is the RIGHT thing. Ahh, it's nice to be free. :) :) :)

15. papachaz

papachaz New Member

years ago, DW started a 3 ring binder. she puts a campground map for every new campground we visit, and puts in all our camp info. spending a lot of our camping trips over several years at just a few campgrounds made it easier on her though.

16. DelorFamily

DelorFamily Member

I am more of a computer person, so I opted to keep a "log book" as a digital file. I just used MS Word. I always include date, CG, site #, general comments about the park/CG/site/weather. Then I also write down some memories from the trip. Be sure to include the good and bad (SPUTS!), as no matter how mad you get at the time, they always seem funny later :) I also usually add some pictures of the trip to the entry. Having 2 children, I always ask them what their favorite part of the trip was and add it to the log. The kids have enjoyed looking back at some of our first trips and seeing the pictures.

In addition to trip memories, I include entires for maintence or "upgrades". This helps me remember when I did something (repacked bearings, adjusted brakes, etc) in the future.

Although I haven't yet, it can always print out the log in the future and put in in a binder.

17. gusbell

gusbell New Member

I have a 1" binder and filled it with sheet protectors so I can slide papers in it. I also bought those 5 tab dividers and put in it.

Section 1- Owners manual
    Section 2- Owners manuals for all the add ons (furnace, a/c, fridge, water heater, etc).
    Section 3- Campground maps with the campsites numbers so I can circle and make notes what the positives were. Gives me a place to make note of shady, level, large, private, fire ring under trees, etc.
    Section 4-Lake topo maps for SP/NP's that have lakes that I might boat on.
    Section 5-For trips we take that I want to save business cards or brocures for activities we might want to return to. Helpful in mapquesting or making reservations when you have the ph#'s and addresses.

I put it in a storage container with my passport America book and electronics (Spare wall Phone charger, power strip, External powered speaker and cord for Sirius radio) that I want to take with me but don't want to leave in the camper.

18. RonB

RonB New Member

No log - too much like workin' [:D].

But between the two of us we take a lot of pictures. Took about 600 on our three week trip to Colorado, NM and Utah last year. When we go through and cull them I add notes to the properties of many of them and give them file names to designate where we were. Actually more work than a log but we do use the notes.

RonB

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Oh, the pictures... yes. I work on mine for months after a long photo trip. A six-week trip can produce several thousand. After editing (culling) I process each one in Photoshop (this could add up to a dozen layers or more), make alternate crops where appropriate, assign key words, give them appropriate file names and then sort them into my subject-organized files. If I'm going to use any of them on the internet special low-res .jpg copies have to be made and uploaded to my on-line storage area. Of course, very few of these are campsites, trailers, etc. Most are scenic and wildlife.

20. Trackside

Trackside New Member

Some awesome suggestions here guys and gals!! I especially like the one about having the kids write something too. I was thinking of making this a digital file, but that would make it really taxing to try and add brochures and maps they pass out.

Thanks again All and feel free to keep the ideas coming - its much appreciated.