Camping maps

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by fritz_monroe, Mar 13, 2013.

Do you add it to your camping map if you only camp for 1 night while traveling through a state?

1. Yes, any camping counts

88.0%
  2. No, that would be cheating

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Whats a camping map?

12.0%
  1. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

We make use of one of those camping maps that show which states we camped. But this Summer we are making a longer trip where we will have a stay over in another state on the way. We plan on getting there, setting up, eating dinner and breakfast and leaving. We will not visit any sites. We will not be visiting anything in the area. I'm not sure if I should count this as camping in that state.

So that's the point of this poll, to find out what you folks do. Do you count it as camping in a new state if you are just spending the night and heading on?

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We count it!!!

3. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

The way we see it, if we were in the state (ie had to drive thru a state to get to another) we count it.

We drove from Wisconsin to AZ up to OR then back home. Stayed several nights in AZ and OR, one night in various states as we traveled, and some states we simply drove thru. We counted them all.

I guess if you wanted to you could call our map a Travels Map if you wanted.

4. wapwap

wapwap New Member

You're camping there right? Count it!
    Just because you're not sightseeing (in whatever form each of us does that), doesn't mean you're not camping.
    It's not a sightseeing map, it's a camping map.
    [:D]

5. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

If a fire was lit, or propane was opened... It's camping and counted.

6. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

and a cold beverage was enjoyed then yes its camping!! Absolutlely [PU] [:D] [CP]

7. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

If you set up and slept in the camper, COUNT IT!

8. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Oh, there will certainly be cold beverages enjoyed. After towing for 6+ hours I'm ready for them.

I'm of the same mindset, but the DW was questioning it.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Years ago, a friend and her siblings were having a casual contest as to who visited the most state and countries (they all had the opportunity to travel quite a bit). Their "rule" was that a place counted as long as one left the airport, so just changing planes didn't add the location to the list. When she came west to visit us, as we took a road trip, we took a detour through Kansas so she could add it to her list.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I count driving through a state or province as having been there but I don't count that as camping. If I do camp there, even just for an overnight, then I count that as having camped in that state or province.

11. TAlger

TAlger Member

Count any night spent in a state. Camping is camping whether you see any sites or just bunker down all day

12. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

On our map, we use it as a "been to" map. If we have travelled in that state, it gets filled in. For the states where we have slept, they get a star sticker also, which to us, indicates that we spent the night there.

13. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

I will highlight a route on a map, and then drop a pin or marker on where we camp.

14. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I would count it because many times I camp and never leave the site. I just enjoy the fact that I am not working and life's issues are put on the side till I return home. Peace and quiet in nature, how relaxing that is. There are times when I plan a trip based on sites I want to see and sometimes just to get away.

15. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Now that's a good idea, Suzanne. We'll likely stick to the states that we actually camp in.

16. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

I would count it. We stayed one night at a park north of Sioux Falls last year on the way to Denver... and one night on way back... both parks were absolutely gorgeous... we had fire, ate... and enjoyed the parks... so it was camping for us!

17. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

Our travlel to/through criteria is if we go through/to a state and commerce has occured. Buying gas in a state counts. A change over in an airport does not.

18. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

I say any overnight or visit counts! We personally don't count driving through because we mark cities instead of just the states. We use a big wall map and the kids use a marker to star the cities we stayed in or visited after we get back from the trip. That helps them understand exactly where they were in that state.

19. Popup Sailor

Popup Sailor New Member

Pulled over in a rest area to get some sleep in the truck before moving on, No. Set the camper up and take it down the next day, Yes

20. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

When we bought our barely used PUP from a retired Texas neighbor, the map on the side showed it had been to all the east coast states and Alaska. I found it odd that the camper had been to Alaska but not any of the Northwestern states such as Oregon or Nebraska.

While setting around the camper we deduced that "grand daughter" was right handed, and started filling in the map from that side.

Figgurin' it would be appropriate to get our own steenkin' map, I went to Amazon to have one sent to the house. [:O] When I got one good look at the price I nearly fell off my chair.

Now when people ask how we got to Alaska, we tell them we made a left turn at Wisconsin.