1. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

What do you use for a camping/RV mat? Ones sold for this purpose are bulkier than I have room for. I’m leaning toward a brown tarp. Other ideas?

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't bother with any. Foe me, there was more dirt inside trying to store an outdoor mat that there is inside without a mat.

PopUpSteve and TheBlurb like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

The RV mats are worth whatever space they may take up. They don't hold water like a tarp will. They are quick drying. Dirt goes through them unlike a tarp.

Mine goes in a storage bag. No dirt in the trailer floor when traveling.

kitphantom, kcsa75, Rik Peery and 2 others like this.
  4. myride

myride Well-Known Member

+1⬆

5. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

We have a mat and like it for longer stays at a camp trip or when it's going to be a wet trip. As stated, the water drains through. For shorter trips or if no rain it in the foracast, I took an old astro turf type rug and cut it into a 6x4 piece. It suits our needs and if it gets dirty or damaged, in the trash it goes.

TheBlurb likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

++2^

7. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Love my mat, it’s a 6’x9’ and fits in an old bag chair bag. Makes a big difference in keeping the pop up floor clean.

TheBlurb likes this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I always use on as I have been known to go bare footed and walking on a mat is easier on the feet. I bought one on sale, it is light and easy to handle, as stated they will allow water etc. to pass thru, keeps the dirt out of the unit and cleans with a shake. Mine came folded but I roll mine up and use a bungee to keep it rolled. I use a piece of carpet for awhile but the camping mat is better. Good Luck and happy camping

kcsa75 and TheBlurb like this.
  9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Every campsite that I have ever been had a mat already there.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We use a 6 x 9 polypropylene patio mat whenever we can. If the ground is too hard, or we're on concrete/asphalt, or we can't use stakes for some other reason, we do without. On my last trip I weighted it down with our extra water jugs, since the campground didn't allow stakes due to where the utilities run. (& I certainly don't want to be the one hammering a metal stake through power or water lines!)
    It does cut down on tracking in of grit, and is nicer on bare feet when I step out of the camper. We now have two of the 6x9 size, and occasionally use one in the shade/rain structure. They fold like a road map, so are easy to tote - if they're too wet when we break camp, I stuff them in a garbage bag.
    I've found them at Walmart, the RV dealer, and on Amazon, even at a couple of dog shows I went to (nice for in the enclosures) and they come in a bunch of sizes.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Larg...s=gateway&sprefix=camco+patio+,aps,232&sr=8-1

TheBlurb likes this.
  11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also use a RV patio mat, but I do understand the issue of bulk. A tarp collects water/mud which ultimately gets tracked into the camper. I also tried those green patio mats, that collects dirt and mud too and harder to clean. If you really don't have room for a RV patio mat then you can just buy a good outdoor door mat to try and collect the dirt before you walk in the camper and don't worry about a patio mat at all. I love my RV mat and rather make room for it than not have it, most of my trips always seem to rain so something to keep the water and dirt away from the camper so I can enjoy hanging out under the awning .

TheBlurb likes this.
  12. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

We wouldn't go without our mat. We have a 12 x 9 mat. We picked it up at the Spring RV show and haven't regretted getting it. Our camper is small so there is not a lot of floor space, but what we do have I like to try to keep clean. No shoes in the camper, they get left out on the mat under the awning. If it is going to rain shoes can be carried in the pup but put on a mat. I know is seems a little ocd but it's a small space (which houses 4 grown people dh 6', ds 6' 1", ds 6' 2 and me 5' 7") so space is at a premium. Good luck with whatever you choose and happy camping!!

TheBlurb likes this.
  13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

We love our RV mat. I think it is like 18' x 8'. We got it when we had the PUP because we got tired of tracking in either mud or pine needles. Like other said, it gets wet, but it is a mesh, so it doesn't puddle.

TheBlurb likes this.
  14. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

Over the past several years we camped in a borrowed pup and never had a mat. I swept several times a day just to keep from everything getting too filthy from the dirt that 2 kids and a dog tracked in.
    We got our own pup this year and bought one of the folding patio mats. I swept once the entire weekend on each trip. Would never go without a patio mat again.

TheBlurb likes this.
  15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We bought a cheap outdoor rug from Costco. Probably 12x9 as it almost completely fills the space under the awning. I have a front trunk though so I roll it up, run some Velcro straps to keep it rolled and lay it on top of the gear that is stowed in the trunk. Love mine.

TheBlurb likes this.